New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Hot_Air

RST explicitly designed for In&Motion airbag

Post by Hot_Air »

scottyuk wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:07 pm Since I already have the InMotion brain/subscription in my Ixon vest it made sense to go for a suit with the same system so I can just swap it over.
:thumbup: This solution – one airbag that you can swap between different RST clobber – has got to be ideal. The RST stuff explicitly designed for the InMotion system has elastic panels in the right place to let the airbag inflate properly. My 'Tech-Air compatible' jacket is similar, and it means I can wear an excellent fitting jacket, with the confidence that the airbag can inflate fully, yet the armour can't move out of place.

I've seen others buy a jacket that's bigger than usual to allow for airbag inflation. But I reckon it means a tradeoff between increased safety from the airbag versus a loss of protection from a slightly loose fit (the material could fold over and abrade more easily, armour could move in crash conditions).
Noggin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:24 pm I am convinced - with zero scientific proof - that moving shoulder protectors in a loose-fitting jacket are why my shoulder break was so bad. Zero proof, but I will guarantee that the plastic 'armour' moved!!
Rockburner

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Rockburner »

Hot_Air wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:24 am
Rockburner wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:39 pm the chin vent directs air almost straight at my eyes
It's handy for anyone trying to keep their glasses from fogging up!
That may be.... and given that the 'dark' visor is about half the 'darkness' of the Arai race-dark I'm used to, it might be useful for sunglasses...
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Re: RST explicitly designed for In&Motion airbag

Post by Noggin »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:17 am
scottyuk wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:07 pm Since I already have the InMotion brain/subscription in my Ixon vest it made sense to go for a suit with the same system so I can just swap it over.
:thumbup: This solution – one airbag that you can swap between different RST clobber – has got to be ideal. The RST stuff explicitly designed for the InMotion system has elastic panels in the right place to let the airbag inflate properly. My 'Tech-Air compatible' jacket is similar, and it means I can wear an excellent fitting jacket, with the confidence that the airbag can inflate fully, yet the armour can't move out of place.

I've seen others buy a jacket that's bigger than usual to allow for airbag inflation. But I reckon it means a tradeoff between increased safety from the airbag versus a loss of protection from a slightly loose fit (the material could fold over and abrade more easily, armour could move in crash conditions).
Noggin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:24 pm I am convinced - with zero scientific proof - that moving shoulder protectors in a loose-fitting jacket are why my shoulder break was so bad. Zero proof, but I will guarantee that the plastic 'armour' moved!!
I have soft armour in my jacket now. But in the future I will wear decent fitting armour over a tshirt then put the jacket over the top. Sizing is shit for bike gear for girls and so I've always had to compromise on baggyness somewhere to allow for actually doing up the zips :roll: So, a decent set up in a mesh top with a jacket over seems the best option for now - till I can afford to get some made to measure gear :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@Noggin It took me years to save up for made-to-measure gear, but it was worth every penny.

A cheaper option is ‘adjusted to fit’ via someone like Hideout or Nine Lives. In the past, they have done a stonking job of altering off-the-peg clothing to fit me 100% perfectly (including changing armour placement). It was almost as good as made-to-measure.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Pair of Hood jeans delivered yesterday
Honda Owner
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:15 pm @Noggin It took me years to save up for made-to-measure gear, but it was worth every penny.

A cheaper option is ‘adjusted to fit’ via someone like Hideout or Nine Lives. In the past, they have done a stonking job of altering off-the-peg clothing to fit me 100% perfectly (including changing armour placement). It was almost as good as made-to-measure.
Sadly a bit far for me!! A friend has recommended a place relatively near (Italy, so just over the border!) but I need to earn a lot of money first!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Noggin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:04 pm Italy, so just over the border!
I bet you have better weather! It’s May and rainy in Blighty :roll:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:49 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:04 pm Italy, so just over the border!
I bet you have better weather! It’s May and rainy in Blighty :roll:
Not really at the mo :lol: It's snowed every day in May! Sometimes with some sunshine but it's sodding cold this year!! :(
BBB

Post by BBB »

Just bought some summer gloves
https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/ri ... ant=123010

In time for the rain
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

BBB wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:57 am Just bought some summer gloves
https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/ri ... ant=123010

In time for the rain
Those look a bargain for 30 quid.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bought one of these this week:

Merlin Lichfield
(£199 from an ebay seller - it's an end-of-line product so the price was down from £280)

Should be good for riding the JAPton around, and it's nice and comfy as a casual jacket too. I'd forgotten how 'cossetting' leather jackets can feel. :)
All the usual armour pockets, and a nice zip-out thermal lining too with it's own pockets. :D

Also took ownership of one of these last week:

BMW Pace Guard Tour
(should be £700, but I'm getting this as replacement for the Streetguard 4s that had leaky pockets)

Not quite as exciting, First impressions were not great (it's an ok jacket, but doesn't come with any form of thermal liner), but I'll give it a go over the coming year and see how it does.
non quod, sed quomodo
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Rockburner wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:29 am Bought one of these this week:

Merlin Lichfield
(£199 from an ebay seller - it's an end-of-line product so the price was down from £280)
That's nice that :thumbup:
BBB

Post by BBB »

@Supermofo decent gloves for the money, I seem to have Richa shaped hands. They're a bit snug but should stretch a bit.
scottyuk

Re: RST explicitly designed for In&Motion airbag

Post by scottyuk »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:17 am
It's not swapping the airbag. The vest and the suit each have their own airbag, canister etc. The only thing that you move is the In&Box. This is the brains that you either buy for €399 or you lease. For leasing you can do it monthly (€12pm) and only pay for the months you ride or just pay €120 a year. After three years of leasing you can continue or buy outright for €99.

There are clear instructions online about how to ensure your existing gear and you should be measured to ensure there's space for the airvest. It doesn't need much space as it's just like having a thicker back protector. My textiles, mesh gear and two piece all measured up fine. I don't think many would need to buy a size bigger but of course that is an option.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.08 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

I got up early today and pissed off on the bike for a few hours. Tried out the Keis heated gloves for the first time and they work just fine,though the gloves themselves need a little breaking in to get to the comfort level of my old Summer gloves. Top setting seems quite hot and even though it was cold (again) I mostly was happy with the middle setting. Not too much of a faff to get them plugged in,though it pays to spend some time organising the routing of the wires.

I've been using a 5200mAh battery to heat bodywarmer,but the addition of gloves into the equation has certainly shortened battery life.I was down to one light after only 2 hours riding. Without powering the gloves,that's about half the useable time. I like the battery because it can be used off the bike too,but when using both bit of kit I'll be taking juice from the bike battery from now on,I think.

The gloves work really well with the Oxford heated grips. The gloves keep the back of the hand warm and the grips toast the other side.

Surely tae fook I'll not need them for much longer,it's got to warm up soon. :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Is there a new ice age starting over there or summot. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I went to J&S in Doncaster today, to maybe buy some boots.

I came home with an Alpinestars casual jacket, Dainese Boots and an Alpinestars cap... all for the wife.

I almost bought some RST boots, but I just can help associating RST stuff with poor people. The didn't have any of the TCX stuff they list on the webshite.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:49 pm Is there a new ice age starting over there or summot. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yep. Some fooker needs to put 50p in the heater meter.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Got some new Alpinestars SMX 2 air gloves for commuting in, my full length gloves are annoying with my RST jacket, seem to fit well but only arrived yesterday so yet to try them.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/329866

Currently have 3 various pairs of Bull-It jeans. My current RST textile are way too big so needed something that fits. Ordered a 32 waist and massive, then ordered 2 pairs of 30’s, feel just as big, so have ordered some Onyx Slim Covec Jeans in 28, so hope these fit and also go over my boots

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/517522

Then had to explain to the wife why I was buying motorcycle jeans and not “proper trousers” 😂😂😂
CBR650r :mrgreen:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I was 12 last time I fitted in 28 inch trousers.