The Yanks Are Back Racing...

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

The Yanks Are Back Racing...

Post by Yorick »

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news ... e-race-one

I'm not sure if they are braver or stupid. Every other race series has been delayed, but not the Good old US of A

Thoughts ?
Bigyin

Re: The Yanks Are Back Racing...

Post by Bigyin »

The Yanks seem convinced they are all immune even watching the mass demos there ;)

I watched some of it last night and got bored very quickly. There is a huge gulf in quality in the MotoAmerica paddock between the top couple of teams and everyone else so there isnt a whole lot of racing. Its more like the best 4 fuck off then see who stays up
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I watched it and quite enjoyed it.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

It wasn't terrible, but small grids and widely spaced out made it a bit less exciting than i'd ideally like at times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Do the superbike guys still ride the supersports as well at the same meeting?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 pm Do the superbike guys still ride the supersports as well at the same meeting?
NOt from what i saw no.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I thought I might be getting confused, so I just googled it...

In 2001 Eric Bostrom came 1st in the AMA Supersport Championship and 2nd in the AMA Superbike Championship.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 pm Its more like the best 4 fuck off then see who stays up
Not unlike MotoGP then.

But nothing like Moto3 which is probably the best racing we've got.
Brian
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:48 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:02 pm Its more like the best 4 fuck off then see who stays up
Not unlike MotoGP then.

You've not watched MotoGP much then?
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:04 pm You've not watched MotoGP much then?
Glued to every race.

It's been "who can beat Marquez" for a long time now. Sometimes Marquez himself because he never rides for points. I've got great hopes for Quateraro.
Brian
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:48 pm
Not unlike MotoGP then.

We must be watching different races if you are "glued to them" yet find them boring and think its the same as MotoAmerica :wtf:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 pm We must be watching different races if you are "glued to them" yet find them boring and think its the same as MotoAmerica :wtf:
I didn't say anything about boring, I was saying that in MotoGP there are about 4 riders who are at the front. Usually one of course.

But now you've mentioned boring, yes, a bit too often Marquez has just taken off and then as far as the winning is concerned it's boring. Even when he's making the rest look like the B list he still makes it look easy. Dovi has had his moments and squarely beaten Marquez but he just can't do it regularly enough.

Shades of Dohan.
Brian
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 pm
Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 pm We must be watching different races if you are "glued to them" yet find them boring and think its the same as MotoAmerica :wtf:
I didn't say anything about boring, I was saying that in MotoGP there are about 4 riders who are at the front. Usually one of course.

But now you've mentioned boring, yes, a bit too often Marquez has just taken off and then as far as the winning is concerned it's boring. Even when he's making the rest look like the B list he still makes it look easy. Dovi has had his moments and squarely beaten Marquez but he just can't do it regularly enough.

Shades of Dohan.
Funnily enough i dont agree with you

In the days when Doohan won everything there was a huge gulf in the class of machine and rider from the front to the back ....... the gap in quality nowdays is much much closer. In his last season in 1997 he won almost every single race. When he did this team mates did get the odd one. In 1996 it was Doohan again and team mate Criville but even if they missed out it was Honda NSR500's that won everything apart from 2 Yamaha wins with one being Abe in Japan.

When Marquez doesnt win then a Yamaha wins with Vinales or Rossi, a Ducati with Dovi, a different Ducati with Petrucci, a different Honda with Cal, a Suzuki with Rins.

The racing is much closer than the late 90's
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 pm

In the days when Doohan won everything there was a huge gulf in the class of machine and rider from the front to the back

When Marquez doesnt win then a Yamaha wins with Vinales or Rossi, a Ducati with Dovi, a different Ducati with Petrucci, a different Honda with Cal, a Suzuki with Rins.

I'll give you full marks for memory. Mine is not so good these days. Disagree all you want, it's good to see someone else's view.

But basically you named six plus Marquez. I'd cross off: Cal as a crasher, Petrucci as a one off, Rossi great but ancient.

I'd forgotten Rins. So my hopes for the new talent are Rins and Quateraro. I hope Zarco gets the right bike under him, he's a proper racer.

And then there's the spoiled brat Miller ?

And since you are obviously knowledgeable, why did Honda treat Dani so badly ?
Brian
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Was Pedrosa really treated badly?

When all i said and done, Bike Racing is a business and when a business decides it needs or wants change there are always casualties, and lets face it-he had 12 or 13 years with Honda in the top class- he was undoubtedly a decent No2 with real flashes of brilliance but never quite cracked it and didn't look any more likely to as time went on, stuff happens and things change...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:39 am
Bigyin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 pm

In the days when Doohan won everything there was a huge gulf in the class of machine and rider from the front to the back

I'll give you full marks for memory. Mine is not so good these days. Disagree all you want, it's good to see someone else's view.

But basically you named six plus Marquez. I'd cross off: Cal as a crasher, Petrucci as a one off, Rossi great but ancient.

I'd forgotten Rins. So my hopes for the new talent are Rins and Quateraro. I hope Zarco gets the right bike under him, he's a proper racer.

And then there's the spoiled brat Miller ?

And since you are obviously knowledgeable, why did Honda treat Dani so badly ?
But your point was "the top 4 all clear off" and that's clearly not the case as above, there's been exceptional racing in the last few years with many many different guys on the podium

Looking at the 2019 season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_MotoGP_season

9 different riders put it on the podium on 4 different manufacturers bikes.
G.P

Post by G.P »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:28 pm I thought I might be getting confused, so I just googled it...

In 2001 Eric Bostrom came 1st in the AMA Supersport Championship and 2nd in the AMA Superbike Championship.
Go back further and guys used to race in the 250 & 500 in GP - Didn't Spencer win both 250 and 500cc Championships in '85?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

G.P wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:54 am Go back further and guys used to race in the 250 & 500 in GP - Didn't Spencer win both 250 and 500cc Championships in '85?
Yes he did, but before of that it wasn't unusual for riders to race 250,350 and 500, sometimes using the same bike (with a change of top end) for all 3 classes.
From memory the premier class in bike grand prix has never been the best racing, in the two stroke days the 250s usually gave the best racing to watch, and now it's Moto 3 (which are also 250cc). The no.1 rider in a team always got a better bike than anyone else, Kenny Roberts got a better YZR500 than Sheene, Spencer got better Hondas than anyone else, Gardner and Doohan carried on this at Honda, Rainey got better bikes than Cadalora at Yamaha, it's just the way it is.
Honda Owner
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Tricky wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:23 am lets face it-he had 12 or 13 years with Honda in the top class-
Well turn that round, he gave them 12 or 13 years of top riding, the perfect number two, he rode well, very likeable image. Then "F*** Off" part way through the season.

I'd say that was bad treatment. Strange for the Japanese, I thought loyalty meant a lot to them.
Brian
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 am But your point was "the top 4 all clear off"
I did say "similar" meaning just about 4 riders were the ones you'd expect at the top.

But I stand corrected if we talk about podium positions.
Brian