How Much Do You Pay For a Service?

Anything you like about motorbikes
the_priest

Re: How Much Do You Pay For a Service?

Post by the_priest »

£314 for a full service, all oils and what nots at the annual service for BMW, includes full ABS flush and final drive oil change, greasing of splines etc. Done by an independent mechanic. Get to ride his 1150GS as a loan bike. Great service at a reasonable price and the bike goes well.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 am
Trinity765 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:07 am
Yorick wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:59 am
-ow-much-yorkshire-tyke-dialect-slang-pin-badge-t1295-65869-1-p.png
Southerners...and we tip.
A tip is just a tax that you southern softies accept ;)
I must have Yorkshire blood in me!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

ace llani wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:41 am
The profit on tyres is woeful - you make more out of fitting them.
Really?

A neighbour just paid just over 400 quid to have wheels removed and a pair of tyres fitted. I nearly fainted. I could have had the tyres delivered here for about 140 the pair. The dealer charged him 280 for the tyres IIRC.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:25 pm
Really?

A neighbour just paid just over 400 quid to have wheels removed and a pair of tyres fitted. I nearly fainted. I could have had the tyres delivered here for about 140 the pair. The dealer charged him 280 for the tyres IIRC.
Yeah it's less than a tenner profit in the actual tyre. The fitting makes way more money.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

1st service on the 690 was free

2nd was £280 I think and shop manager said I didn't need valve check as I'd only done 3k miles, service manager was trying to keep to KTMs valve check once every 12 months regardless of miles. Wonder why....Anyway needed this one to keep warranty

3rd service was valve check (6k miles) so got that done. Ended up being £480 for a full service and sprocket change. I changed shops after this.

4th I did myself. Still cost me best part of £100 due to specific oil service kit (2 filters, 2 screens) and oil being expensive.

5th service was another valve check so back to KTM as wanted people who knew what they were looking at with the rockers. This would have been around £320 but the rocker arms needed replacing so came to £560.

6th service will be done by me or the next owner I hope.
ace llani

Post by ace llani »

Really?

I wish I could buy a decent pair of tyres for that......

I was asked to fit a "new" tyre that had been bought off ebay.
Customer was shocked when I explained how old his new tyre was.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

ace llani wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am
Really?

You can get brand new original Michelin pilot powers for £150. Old tyre design now but they were better than me back in the day. However they did last nearly half the mileage of PR4s so I go with the newer tyre.

Think I payed £360+ for PR5s fitted.
tricol

Post by tricol »

Just about to book my Trident in for it's first service (600 miles). I believe it is parts only for this one.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Just had an annual/6k service on the GSA at the main dealer - £270.00. Oil, brake fluid and final drive oil I think.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Had an interim service on the CB1100R last month; oil and filter, plugs,brake fluid, general check up and carburettor cleaning, balancing and set up on the dyno £316 including collection and return.
Tyres on the Z1000SX last week, Metzeler M9RR £287 ride in, ride out

Kev
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

£7.30 for oil and crush washer. I did it myself. There was a time when the first service was free. If the dealer and Honda think I’m going to pay them £80.00 for an oil change and a quick look over they can go f*** themselves - warranty or not.

I see no point in investing in expensive, high quality tools only to hand over your P&J to a monkey.

If ever I look at new bikes or cars I avoid those with a ‘Service Spanner’ unless there is a disable fix on the web.
The Spin Doctor

weeksy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:22 am
Really?

Yeah it's less than a tenner profit in the actual tyre. The fitting makes way more money.
No, I could have had BOTH tyres delivered here for HALF the price the dealer charged to supply the same pair. I'm sure the tyre supplier that *I* buy from doesn't make a lot on a pair of tyres, but I'm sure the dealer gets them a bit cheaper than I can... yet still charged my buddy almost double what I was quoted. A 100% markup seems pretty healthy to me.

Then my buddy paid for fitting which was another 120 on top. How long does it take to remove two wheels, fit two new tyres, balance the wheels and refit? The rear wheel on my Hornet is a bit awkward because the spacers keep falling out and you need three hands but even so it's only five mins out and five mins in. The front's about two minutes!

I would have taken the wheels off myself, run them up to a tyre fitter for a tenner a tyre, and the total cost would have been around 160UKP to have both tyres fitted.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Depends on the bike, I'd guess 45 minutes

Don't forget, just because black circles can buy a tyre for xzy doesn't mean all dealers can.
The Spin Doctor

ace llani wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am

The bike in question isn't a performance machine, and the tyres supplied weren't top-dollar. He just got charged that.

We have had this debate about whether tyres deteriorate in store before. It's UV and resting weight that does most of the damage - so bikes parked in the sun for months on end are at risk. A properly stored tyre should be OK for a few years.