Job satisfaction and happiness... is it all down to money ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: Job satisfaction and happiness... is it all down to money ?

Post by Yorick »

Sod working :banana-dance:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

"If you find a job you enjoy you'll never have to work again".

I met a married couple years ago, he was a tree surgeon and she was a landscape gardener. They were happy but what stuck me most was how fit they both looked.

I like my job but hate sitting down all day so if money wasn't an issue I would do something more outdoorsy.
Lockdown refugee
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

My mate was a scaff he earned pretty good money and seemed to have a laugh. However it’s definitely a young man’s game with compression of vertebrae common if you’ve been at it for years - also you have to quickly learn to berate layman if they dare to refer to planks and poles. “They’re fucking tubes and boards you twat!”... he jacked it all in when offered a job as a rigger in the film industry- basically doing the same thing in warm dry studios and earning twice the money
Horse

Post by Horse »

WheeliePig wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:37 am Average scaffolder is on £40k+, often much of it in cash....
Good luck to them on claiming any furlough or other covid payments on the cash.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I don't have to work, what with being a kept man and all that goes with it, but I've still several part time jobs.

The reasons are many, in no particular order:

It gets me out of the house.
It keeps a service going that might otherwise struggle due to the lack of hours making it barely worth doing.
I like wearing hi-viz clothing.
I'm shameless enough to flaunt my luscious body at those who want to look at it. And those who don't.
For the good of the community hero work.
Excitement and getting out of my comfort zone.
Learning news skills.
Money.
Technical interest.

All but one of them I'd do for free with the same commitment that I give them now.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 am
Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am I think the majority of people go to work for the money, if they won the lottery tomorrow they'd quit, whereas I wouldn't, at least not for a year or two anyway.
I can't imagine I'd quit work if I won the lottery, but it would certainly be nice to put that to the test :D I'd have to start buying tickets first though!

I've already said that I won a silly Euromillions jackpot of like £100m I'd buy all my close co-workers a fancy new car. A fleet of electric Porsches for the 10 people I work with most often wouldn't even be 1% of the winnings.

Not including management, obvs. :D
If I win the lottery jackpot I'll buy everybody on RTTL a new car of their choice. :thumbup:

Don't get your hopes up, I don't intend to buy a ticket any time soon. :P
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've done a few jobs that I've loved. Some have paid reasonably, some poorly. The main breaking point for me was always the environment/management!! I currently (when not in Covid or off sick) do a job I love. In the winter I work sodding hard but I enjoy it loads (helps that on the small bit of downtime I can go out on the mountain!).

This coming winter I will either have things set up so I make reasonable money at last or I'll go work for someone else - because whilst I love my job, I do need to actually make some money out of it. I don't need a lot to live up here really, so hopefully I'll make it work this winter! But I do love this job so would happily do it for someone else :angelic-green:

Lottery stuff - I'd keep on doing what I do, but probably less so! And with someone else doing the office stuff so i have more time to do mountain stuff or ride bikes, depending on the season! Having been signed off work for almost 10 months (and covid'd off work for 3.5 months before that) I have absolutely no desire to retire and do nothing!!!! FUCK. THAT. :mrgreen:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 am
Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am I think the majority of people go to work for the money, if they won the lottery tomorrow they'd quit, whereas I wouldn't, at least not for a year or two anyway.
I can't imagine I'd quit work if I won the lottery, but it would certainly be nice to put that to the test :D I'd have to start buying tickets first though!

I've already said that I won a silly Euromillions jackpot of like £100m I'd buy all my close co-workers a fancy new car. A fleet of electric Porsches for the 10 people I work with most often wouldn't even be 1% of the winnings.

Not including management, obvs. :D
If I win the lottery jackpot I'll buy everybody on RTTL a new car of their choice. :thumbup:

Don't get your hopes up, I don't intend to buy a ticket any time soon. :P
Just give me £8000 for the Mondeo and you can keep it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Most people don't know what they want to do or be,life just happens to them and they work for food and toys.

Happiness is something entirely different. Maintaining a state of constant happiness is well into the territory of mental illness,or pretty constant drug abuse! Being happy all the time would be a miserable existence.

General or overall contentment,that's the ticket boys and girls. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Tricky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 am
weeksy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:45 am
Tricky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:43 am Maybe I'll try scaffolding :thumbup:
It seems you only have to work 1 hour shifts, then spend 25 mins in the van drinking tea/stella.
You forgot the weed and chemicals- seriously, I've known a fair few scaffolders in my time and there hasn't been one who isn't a stoner :D
Was in a greasy spoon near our house on a weekday and a crew of scaffolders were in .
They were discussing how the previous week 3 got sent home on a Friday morning as they were too out of it ....one of them mentioned that was the problem of Payday being a Thursday .
I like my job and wouldn't mind a bit more money but there's a lot of hassle next band up.
(I'm a band 7) I intend to retire in 2 years time fingers crossed -
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Lots of outdoor jobs seem attractive to a young bloke in the summer.

Fast forward to winter when you are in your 50s and they don't seem so attractive.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Scud

Post by Scud »

I work outdoors, on my own, self employed.

I earn decent money, don’t start while 9am, hour or so lunch, home by about 4pm.

I bloody hate it!! I hate the loneliness, I hate the cold, the wet and above all when it gets hot.

I would pack it in at the drop of the hat if I could find an alternative that paid as well for so little hours.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I hate my job, I hate the hours, the weekends, the public, the management but for some reason bus drivers in NI get paid more than their mainland equivalents so I'll keep doing it as it gives me a lot of toys.

I earn roughly twice as much as I did 5 years ago through overtime but I'd go back to my old job if it still existed in a heartbeat. Zero stress, come and go as you please and you didn't have Joe Public moaning.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Since I past the 50 mark, I find the 5/2 balance pisses me off more. As a youngen, I'd happily work a 6 day week, maybe 🤔, but now at 54 I'd love to go part time. 4/3 would do nicely. Long weekend every week. Ideally 3/4 but 3 days work wouldn't give me enough pennies, so I'll just have to crack on for the time being.

I love the great outdoors so if some big bucks come my way, keeping busy wouldn't be an issue i don't think. Days out on motor/peddle bike, like to take up golf one day, outdoors, exercise and social. Enjoy a nice walk and gardening.

But when you think about what you got, yes there's plenty better off but there's plenty more a lot worse off.

Current jobs ok, but this middle layer of female management real is difficult to get on with. Uneducated folk with plenty of mouth, blame everybody other than themselves for any problems. Horrible f--kers. Senior management are fine.

Looking at pension options soon so hopefully part time might become a feasible option.

Job satisfaction and happiness has nowt to do with pay, but can take away some worries. IME👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Potter

Post by Potter »

Skub wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 pm
I was reading that the current thinking is it's all about gratitude - as in "are you grateful for where you are in life?".

If you're sitting there counting your lucky stars and being grateful for what you have and where you're at, then you're very likely to be happy.
If you're moaning and pointing fingers, then you probably aren't.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

For me, I used to think it was about the money. I was earning more than my peer group so felt very wealthy, and fortunately I was smart with making extra mortgage payments etc

About 12 years ago I walked away from that life. I 'earn' 25-30% less than now I did then, and obviously almost everything I buy costs more now! but It's not just about what you earn, money is about what you spend or don't spend. As some of you know, my current jobs come with free accommodation, including electric, water rates etc.

I'm nothing like as stressed as I was, weirdly, I didn't realise how stressed I was! I also had plenty of desire for "new shiny things" where as now, I'm more than happy with what I have, but if I do want a new toy, I can afford it.

My current jobs have a lot more job satisfaction than my old job.
The old job was sales and while selling a big tool box for £2000 made you feel great on Wednesday, by Thursday, that 'win' has gone and you need to sell another, if you had a crap sales day, a shitty feeling would bleed into the evening :(
My current job(s) in tourism, means that nearly every day a guest thanks me, praises me or simply says "we've had a great stay" and that gives me a lot more satisfaction than selling a big tool box.
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:48 am Here's a random question for today.

We've currently got scaffolders lobbing stuff up next door, there's 5-6 of them and i've not seen a moment pass yet where at least one of them isn't laughing, joking, piss taking and smiling. It's constant banter and smiles.

But you can bet your arse they're not getting paid massive amounts... well, the owner may be, but not the general workers.

But it's got to be good rewarding work too, physically demanding, healthy outdoors stuff.

It's not for me... :D but hey, it seems like a nice no hassle, no stress kind of job.

But without the rewards of a bigger pay packet, pension etc... is it essentially an unhappy sort of job to be in ?
I have an Uncle who is 59 this year and is a scaffolder. Loves the job and has been offered progression many times but always wanted to stay on the tools. He's hard as nails (scaffolders usually are!)

I'm happier back on the tools the last few years, used to earn a day what I earn a week now but it's not about the money - I was miserable in management level work, too much bullshit whereas being on the tools is usually honest and straightforward.
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Martian wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 am
I'm happier back on the tools the last few years, used to earn a day what I earn a week now but it's not about the money - I was miserable in management level work, too much bullshit whereas being on the tools is usually honest and straightforward.
I used to wander around war zones with a gun - and it was less cut-throat than being in middle management :lol:

On the tools is good/rewarding when you're young, senior management & leadership is good/rewarding when you're older, it's the bit in between that isn't so good, it really is a jungle.
Docca

Post by Docca »

My eldest ( 15 ) was concerned recently that a lot of his school mates know what they want to do for a career when they leave education. He doesn’t, and it was getting him down a little. His mates are wanting to go into accountancy or the sciences- and typically those types of personalities will know what they want to do. They’ve been in that place since more or less primary school.

I’ve told him not to limit his choices. Be a sponge and absorb as much as you can to empower decisions that should be a while off yet. You certainly don’t want to narrow your skills so you’re backed into a career.

I’m not sure it’s job satisfaction and money. I think life satisfaction and money might be more apt but then again for me it comes down to choices, or giving yourself the gift of choice.

I’ve been pretty open about my income since being on these forums ( you can look it up online!) and each part of the career came with boundaries. A junior nurse working every other weekend ( or most weekends) and nights ( and then permanent nights) as a single guy- not so bad. Being a father shifted my focus- I no longer wanted to work shifts. Weekend and evening family time was more important to me, so I looked at what I could do to change my circumstances. Some studying, some trial and a lot of error ( it’s not that easy to change course in the NHS, but it’s certainly not impossible) and I haven’t worked weekends or nights for 15 years.

I work more now though. Back on shift work, decisions and responsibility were in the moment/ shift. You left most of it at work. Now I work longer days, I’ll often dip into evenings and annual leave. That’s again my choice but I think comes down to a key consideration for job satisfaction. Every year, our staff survey is submitted and every year ‘not being involved in decision making’ scores as the biggest frustration/ what makes people feel unhappy. I’m now involved in decision making and try every day to to empower others to likewise ( growth vs fixed mindsets innit).

Whether you’re self employed or working for someone else- being able or involved in decision making might make you feel more satisfied. Unless of course you just want to clock in and out.

I’ve more satisfaction now than ever- home and work, and I’d definitely keep going if I won the lottery. I earn well but don’t feel any richer now than I did when I first started, I just don’t have to worry about buying things as much as I used to. I’ve also enjoyed studying later in life. It’s all in my own time, but it’s about stuff I love and I think when you’re doing stuff you love it doesn’t feel much like work.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:14 am
Skub wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 pm
I was reading that the current thinking is it's all about gratitude - as in "are you grateful for where you are in life?".

If you're sitting there counting your lucky stars and being grateful for what you have and where you're at, then you're very likely to be happy.
If you're moaning and pointing fingers, then you probably aren't.
Grateful to whom??