A right now thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: A right now thread

Post by Horse »

About 8 miles from Lutterworth to Rugby, so that could well have been it. I used to live about 3.5 miles from RAF Odiham and it was sometimes possible to hear the choppers warming up.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Watching “Hacksaw Ridge” a very underrated war film.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:48 pm Watching “Hacksaw Ridge” a very underrated war film.
2 Oscars
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Just watched a film called Nomadland. Worth it for the landscapes but also thought and memory provoking for me. I need a trip back to the US.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:56 pm Just watched a film called Nomadland. Worth it for the landscapes but also thought and memory provoking for me. I need a trip back to the US.
Is it on Prime or Netflix and is it free? Could do with a film to watch today whilst I WFH and that does sound interesting.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Taipan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 am
Is it on Prime or Netflix and is it free? Could do with a film to watch today whilst I WFH and that does sound interesting.
It was on Disney. Wifey gets that free with her O2 phone.
Potter

Post by Potter »

You'd love it :lol:
A woman goes off to live as a tramp/pikey and drives around in a van being skint and depending on other people. She reflects on her life and is fairly melancholy about it, she goes off in a van and looks for justification to continue to live in an old van, scraping an existence and meeting people with beards.

It's a late-life crisis, coming of (old)age, reflection type film dressed up with a nice soundtrack and some decent cinematography.
But at the end of the day it's tramps in vans shitting in hedgerows.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:11 am
A woman goes off to live as a tramp/pikey and drives around in a van being skint and depending on other people. She reflects on her life and is fairly melancholy about it, she goes off in a van and looks for justification to continue to live in an old van, scraping an existence and meeting people with beards.

It's a late-life crisis, coming of (old)age, reflection type film dressed up with a nice soundtrack and some decent cinematography.
We met an old British guy in the Dordogne once. He had this crappy old Merc camper, the ones that look like a caravan fell onto it. The top front window was half full of water and I said you could keep fish in there! He said its my spirit level for when i'm levelling up! :lol: Got yakking with him and he said his wife died, so he rented out his house and went round their beloved France for a year to relieve some memories. 10 years later he was still there and loving it! He had some amazing stories, everything from from being hospitalised for head injuries from hailstones to being stopped by Basque separatists! :shock: :D :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 am
Potter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:11 am

We met an old British guy in the Dordogne once. He had this crappy old Merc camper, the ones that look like a caravan fell onto it. The top front window was half full of water and I said you could keep fish in there! He said its my spirit level for when i'm levelling up! :lol: Got yakking with him and he said his wife died, so he rented out his house and went round their beloved France for a year to relieve some memories. 10 years later he was still there and loving it! He had some amazing stories, everything from from being hospitalised for head injuries from hailstones to being stopped by Basque separatists! :shock: :D :lol:
There's a Dutch guy comes here for part of the year and lives in a cave about a mile from us.
He's about 50 and looks like a Swedish basketball player.
He just cycled past me about 5 mins ago.

Apparently he has money, but likes to get away.

He's well known.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Pirahna wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:56 pm Just watched a film called Nomadland. Worth it for the landscapes but also thought and memory provoking for me. I need a trip back to the US.
Waiting for this to pop up on Sky, mainly for Frances McDormand after her performance in 3 Billboards, but also for the extras / cast, as they were mostly real people living that lifestyle rather than actors.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 am
I think it all depends on circumstance.
I've always been a nomad, it can be liberating, but even though I've travelled around the world living and working I still always had a base station to go back to and my credit card in my pocket.

When my lad was little and I used to be away a lot I'd try and do fun things with him as much as possible. One of the things he loved most was for us to just walk away from the house with the dog and whatever I had in my napsack and we'd spend the night out dossing, sometimes with the tramps on the field at the end of town if it was a summers night. We both enjoyed it, the tramps can be funny and pleasant if they're not druggies, but I know that me and my boy enjoyed it a lot more than the tramps, because we had a choice.
Potter

Post by Potter »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:00 am
Waiting for this to pop up on Sky, mainly for Frances McDormand after her performance in 3 Billboards, but also for the extras / cast, as they were mostly real people living that lifestyle rather than actors.
I watched it on our TV box thingy, I'm sure it was also up on youtube but I just did a search and it's been taken down, although there is loads of stuff about the making of it and interviews with everyone and his dog (literally). It's been a bit of a leftfield hit for people that see it as romantic.
I preferred Into the Wild tbh.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't normally watch much TV but this last couple of weeks me and Mrs Potter have made the effort to sit together and watch a movie most nights.

Last night I watched The King, I wasn't expecting much but it was the best film I've seen in ages.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Potter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:11 am You'd love it :lol:

That's sort of it except she goes to work rather than depending on other people. The biggest reason I liked the film is that I've done some big cycle tours in the US, it reminded me of the people I've met and the landscapes I've ridden through.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Pirahna wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:04 am
That's sort of it except she goes to work rather than depending on other people. The biggest reason I liked the film is that I've done some big cycle tours in the US, it reminded me of the people I've met and the landscapes I've ridden through.
It reminded me of the homeless people I've met all over the world, they seem interesting and you want to hear their story. They'll paint a smile on and excitedly tell you it's the best life in the world, then a few drinks later they'll talk a bit softer and tell you about how things didn't really work out and at that point you're not too far away from an awkward silence when you wished you'd just talked about football or something.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:00 am
I watched it on our TV box thingy, I'm sure it was also up on youtube but I just did a search and it's been taken down, although there is loads of stuff about the making of it and interviews with everyone and his dog (literally). It's been a bit of a leftfield hit for people that see it as romantic.
I preferred Into the Wild tbh.
I bailed on Into the Wild, maybe I should revisit? I liked The Way a lot, but then I enjoyed The Straight Story, so I'm probably best ignored! :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:04 pm
I bailed on Into the Wild, maybe I should revisit? I liked The Way a lot, but then I enjoyed The Straight Story, so I'm probably best ignored! :lol:
Try The Road.
It makes On the Beach read like a Disney Movie* :lol:

* I think there is a film but I haven't seen it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Right now dealing with a green pool.
Took my eye off the ball lately and let it go green. Air temp was down, but sun still berserk and pool temp has risen to 30c. The new cover is better than I thought.

Have done a "Vac to waste" which gets rid of the algae on bottom of pool. It was much darker before I vacced the bottom.

Have put in half a tub of Chloroshock and will leave pump going for 24 (48) hours until it clears.
Then jump in with face mask to get rid of any lingering spots of algae.
20210511_134943.jpg
20210511_134943.jpg (629.39 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:50 pm Right now dealing with a green pool.
Took my eye off the ball lately and let it go green. Air temp was down, but sun still berserk and pool temp has risen to 30c. The new cover is better than I thought.

Have done a "Vac to waste" which gets rid of the algae on bottom of pool. It was much darker before I vacced the bottom.

Have put in half a tub of Chloroshock and will leave pump going for 24 (48) hours until it clears.
Then jump in with face mask to get rid of any lingering spots of algae.

20210511_134943.jpg
I think it'd be quite nice to have a bit of green around in your sub-tropical desert. :lol:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Don't forget to backwash your filters afterwards and then you're going to need to floc it. :thumbup: