What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Newey

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Newey »

The ABBA skylift showed up, so to try it out I synchronized the throttle bodies, not really much out but did tweak the middle one, also fitted the GPR steering damper, nearly all back together when I noticed a bolt in the tool tray, spent an age trying to see where it should go ( even looked through the manual) only to realise it belonged with the OEM stuff I had to change out to fit the GPR.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Potter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:32 am
v8-powered wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:16 pm Ripped out our downstairs toilet. The smell of shit will linger with me forever more...
It's always better if you flush it first.
Lol, I did check for floaters first.
It was more to do with the engineered wood floor that had been down for 15 piss-soaked years and the whiff coming from the drain after I'd removed the loo that has troubled me, at least have an incentive to get the job completed double-quick now so I don't have to carry on smelling the drain :sick:
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Narrowly avoided a myopic pensioner who didn't know how to use a mini roundabout, hit a pigeon at 50mph, then twatted my tyre against a raised manhole and then lost my shit when someone got huffy with me telling me I was in the way whilst I was checking the damage.

As mornings go I'd like this one to end without further incident if possible.

Why do you always get punctures when your boot is rammed with shit ? :angry-cussingblack:
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just dropped missus at the airport. And dropped her 125 at bike shop on the way.

Forgot how slow a 125 is :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Met the plumber at my Step Mothers and waited while he diagnosed and fixed the fault with her central heating. I tried having a conversation with my Step Mother who has dementia. Found it was more rewarding to watch Homes Under the Hammer. She didn't mind, well, notice. :cry:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Finished nights for four weeks, yay!

Walked dogs.

New Amtico Hallway floor ordered.

New metal front gate and composite fence panel ordered from local fabricators.

Left message with roofer regarding getting a quote for removing a chimney from our bungalow.

Ordered Mrs M a high power intelligent USB charger (I know how to treat a girl😁).

Beer or Cider is calling.

I also want a new rear shock for the ZH2.........nitron website.......must resist.......
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:15 pm
I also want a new rear shock for the ZH2.........nitron website.......must resist.......
Why resist it, it's only going to happen next month, or the month after. Get it done
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Day off - I'd planned to go to Finchingfield but the weather looked tiresome so went to the Tea hut in Epping instead .
Called in at JS on the way home to look at helmets - there's a new shoei open face I wanted to look at but couldn't find -
Email from work says the service contract for our car charging post ran out but nobody noticed so everyone is a bit annoyed - a completely non clinical matter but takes up far too much time :hmmm:
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:58 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:15 pm
Why resist it, it's only going to happen next month, or the month after. Get it done
Yes,do it. Also a K-tech or Nitron cartridge kit is a must for the forks too. The shock would be so lonely without it. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Had a nice walk earlier.....

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Is that imported sand? Or is that a daft question?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

v8-powered wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 am
v8-powered wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:16 pm Ripped out our downstairs toilet. The smell of shit will linger with me forever more...
It was more to do with the engineered wood floor that had been down for 15 piss-soaked years and the whiff coming from the drain after I'd removed the loo that has troubled me, at least have an incentive to get the job completed double-quick now so I don't have to carry on smelling the drain :sick:
I believe it is normal to stuff a rag in the hole to help with the smell, that is one job I was happy to pay a plumber for.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mussels wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:21 pm
v8-powered wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 am

I believe it is normal to stuff a rag in the hole to help with the smell, that is one job I was happy to pay a plumber for.
Carrier bag and masking tape doing their best to contain the pong.....
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:36 pm Met the plumber at my Step Mothers and waited while he diagnosed and fixed the fault with her central heating. I tried having a conversation with my Step Mother who has dementia. Found it was more rewarding to watch Homes Under the Hammer. She didn't mind, well, notice. :cry:
Just had FiL round, regaling us how he only left the kitchen for 10 minutes but in that time MiL had put the kettle on the gas hob, the 240V mains powered plastic kettle :o
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:36 pm Met the plumber at my Step Mothers and waited while he diagnosed and fixed the fault with her central heating. I tried having a conversation with my Step Mother who has dementia. Found it was more rewarding to watch Homes Under the Hammer. She didn't mind, well, notice. :cry:
Just had FiL round, regaling us how he only left the kitchen for 10 minutes but in that time MiL had put the kettle on the gas hob, the 240V mains powered plastic kettle :o
Yup. It's a horrible condition that makes you watch someone you know being dismantled. Step Ma lives alone, so i decommissioned her gas cooker at Social Services request. Mikrowavvey meals only for her!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 pm
Yup. It's a horrible condition that makes you watch someone you know being dismantled. Step Ma lives alone, so i decommissioned her gas cooker at Social Services request. Mikrowavvey meals only for her!
It's death by instalments. I watched my Stepmum fade by degrees over a 7 year period. A fall and a broken hip hurried along the inevitable,by which time she was forgetting how to eat or drink. Death was a relief and a release.
Walt Whitman
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 pm
Dementia sucks balls, she's also taken to putting the pots in the washing machine.
I take solace in that she doesn't have any idea, isn't suffering and can best be described as being away with the fairies, it's doing a right bloody number on the rest of the family though.

This weekend I shall mostly be fitting a hidden gas shut off valve and smoke detectors for my FiL
Skub

Post by Skub »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:14 pm Dementia sucks balls, she's also taken to putting the pots in the washing machine.
I take solace in that she doesn't have any idea, isn't suffering and can best be described as being away with the fairies, it's doing a right bloody number on the rest of the family though.

This weekend I shall mostly be fitting a hidden gas shut off valve and smoke detectors for my FiL
My stubborn old Da was 92 and still looking after my Stepmum,refusing all offers of help,until he too fell and broke his hip. At that point the whole house of cards fell down. It's hell on wheels for families,you are quite right.
Walt Whitman
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

It might be worth getting an old fashioned stove top whistling kettle.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Similar to dementia, my wife has Huntingdon's disease in her family. I've seen several people die from it, probably the hardest was her brother. A super keen walker, runner, cyclist, canoeist, anything outdoors and he was up for it. Medically retired from the Police after 24 years service, his mind went downhill rapidly until he was sectioned and spent his remaining years being cared for in a mental institution. Not having a fucking clue what was happening he was operated on to be fed by a peg. He survived like this for a few years until he got too ill and was put on an "end of life pathway". It's a morphine drip and all food and drink withdrawn until you die. He died 3 years ago aged 55.

There's a test for it now which wasn't available when he was younger. His 26 year old son tested positive a couple of years ago.