Portimao 29-31 May 2021. RTTL Extravaganza

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Bigyin

Re: Portimao 29-31 May 2021. RTTL Extravaganza

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 am
Yorick wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 amAny news from NL?
You're a funny guy :D :thumbup:

it's not like it's less than 3 weeks :clap:
Govt travel list comes out tomorrow......this is what NL have been kicking down the road hoping Portugal is on the green list and no quarantine.

I think it could well be which would mean the event is on and travel with a clear PCR test .....shame i dont have any flights thanks to Ryanair. I have looked at Easyjet at the weekend as an alternative but the price is now double and would mean much further travel to get to departure airport

And for info they still have not replied to my email i sent 2 weeks ago about my flights being cancelled
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

At such short notice, it would be nice to get some alternative options. My concern is , its all go and thank you for the balance. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 pm At such short notice, it would be nice to get some alternative options. My concern is , its all go and thank you for the balance. 🤷🏻‍♂️
They cant legally take the balance of the payment without your agreement, and they did say they wouldnt ask for balance until it was assured the event would go ahead ...... they can however keep the deposit if they say the event is on under their terms and conditions when we booked last year.

Ball is in their court if they want to keep everything we have paid so far to cover their costs or try and keep customers and credit us
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bigyin wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:09 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:16 pm At such short notice, it would be nice to get some alternative options. My concern is , its all go and thank you for the balance. 🤷🏻‍♂️
They cant legally take the balance of the payment without your agreement, and they did say they wouldnt ask for balance until it was assured the event would go ahead ...... they can however keep the deposit if they say the event is on under their terms and conditions when we booked last year.

Ball is in their court if they want to keep everything we have paid so far to cover their costs or try and keep customers and credit us
100% agree. It is absolutely impossible for them to take the balance.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Good to know. 👍 Thought maybe we agreed at time of booking.

Bennetts insurance are offering trackdays for £119 to customers. 🤔
Last edited by Dodgy69 on Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:12 am Good to know. 👍

Bennetts insurance are offering trackdays for £119 to customers. 🤔
HArd to argue at that price :D
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Bigyin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:47 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 am
Yorick wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:44 amAny news from NL?
You're a funny guy :D :thumbup:

it's not like it's less than 3 weeks :clap:
Govt travel list comes out tomorrow......this is what NL have been kicking down the road hoping Portugal is on the green list and no quarantine.

I think it could well be which would mean the event is on and travel with a clear PCR test ..... a shame i don't have any flights thanks to Ryanair. I have looked at Easyjet at the weekend as an alternative but the price is now double and would mean much further travel to get to the departure airport

And for info they still have not replied to my email i sent 2 weeks ago about my flights being cancelled
Yup, rumours are Portugal is on the Green list but I think there may be more to it than that- as far as I can gather the Portimao area lockdown is still in place until at least May 16th - it's in the strict restrictions bracket with bars, restaurants etc only allowed to open for take-away, sale of alcohol banned between 8pm and 6am and golf courses, museums etc shut , which I am guessing (don't know) means that track days wouldn't be permitted?
Current info here
https://www.visitportugal.com/en/conten ... d-portugal

Anyway, hopefully, at least today's announcement will mean we get decisions from NL
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

And as thought Portugal now on the green travel list which gives NL some ammunition to say it’s all on ....... Tricky’s link on restrictions in the local Portimao district is interesting reading though
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just got email demanding the balance.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:38 pm Just got email demanding the balance.
Hi.

I'm afraid that due to our flights being moved 3 times and eventually cancelled we will not be making this trip now. We do not feel under the circumstances it's appropriate to travel to other countries right now and even if we did consider it, any flights are now double the cost they previously were. Once you add in PCR testing to the equation too, the trip for us has now become non viable

It's quite simply too great a risk for us as a family to take both in terms of our health and the potential of losing out on work if the country went back to amber or red as isolation would cost both myself and Ceri our jobs. It would also potentially mean our 12 year old would miss out on even more school as well as a potential government fine for taking him out of school.

I would like to request our deposit is moved to a later event, preferably in 2022 as we're not convinced that this year is practical.

Thanks for your time
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So here's where we are for all to see.

I sent this to No Limits after the announcement that Portugal was going green for travel
Hi.
I'm afraid that due to our flights being moved 3 times and eventually cancelled we will not be making this trip now. We do not feel under the circumstances it's appropriate to travel to other countries right now and even if we did consider it, any flights are now double the cost they previously were. Once you add in PCR testing to the equation too, the trip for us has now become non viable
It's quite simply too great a risk for us as a family to take both in terms of our health and the potential of losing out on work if the country went back to amber or red as isolation would cost both myself and Ceri our jobs. It would also potentially mean our 12 year old would miss out on even more school as well as a potential government fine for taking him out of school.
I would like to request our deposit is moved to a later event, preferably in 2022 as we're not convinced that this year is practical.
Thanks for your time
The reply came through this morning from them
Hi Steve,

I am sorry but unfortunately this event is running and the circuit has confirmed we are being charged in full. With this in mind we are unable to offer customers cancellation without loss of deposit.

I am sorry.

Kind regards
This was my reply and No Limits have been added to the 'company never to use again' shit list.
Hi Clare.

I considered what to reply as i'm pretty disappointed in your reply.

Not only because over the last 15+ years i've done about 50-70 Trackdays with yourselves, but also the fact that between even myself P*, To* and R* (who are also booked on the trip) and a couple of other mates we've done in excess 300 days with Mark and yourselves, i find that a little disappointing as i said.

Taking into account the Covid19 situation i find it even more so disappointing and difficult to accept this decision. However, you know what, i'm not going to argue that you want to take the short term option, instead of having 19 people book again in 2022, we now take our business elsewhere and book with a different company. Not only for this trackday but for every single trackday we now do in the future.

I doubt that'll make a massive difference overall to how much money the company makes or doesn't make, but it'll certainly make each and every one of us on the list feel a bit better about things.

Not sure there's anything else that i need to say.

Steve.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

They made about 6K from us in deposits if there were 19 now not going from the group. I wonder how many will actually go from the 120 or so names on the bike shipping list as others must have had flights cancelled as well they now have to rebook at inflated prices :silent:

Ah well, Pembrey it is then for this year :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bigyin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:03 pm They made about 6K from us in deposits if there were 19 now not going from the group. I wonder how many will actually go from the 120 or so names on the bike shipping list as others must have had flights cancelled as well they now have to rebook at inflated prices :silent:

Ah well, Pembrey it is then for this year :thumbup:
'made' may not be the right term as they'll have paid out for the circuit.... I still feel they could have done more though for sure. If we'd have rebooked for April 2022 they'd have had full monies from everyone, plus UK dates etc.... Now they get nothing.... It seems short-sighted to me.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I bet they haven't paid for the hotels in advance
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Keeping this thread slihgtly on track, even though Portimao has now disappeared the idea of a Euro hasn't completely left my plans. Although as discussed, we're now thinking more 2022 than late 2021.

With all things in mind, i'm thinking Focused is looking most likely. They're the biggest player and a company we know will be about next year.

Big Kev owns (i think) Almeria and that they makes their dates there a complete and utter steal, 5 days on track at £599 or 4 days at £525. Hotel next to the beach and has swimming pools.

They do run rare dates at other tracks like Mugello and Jerez, but they're a fair chunk more money.

I'm well aware that we're all £300-600 out of pocket here, so i won't be offended if you tell me "nah, not going this time" but by the same account, i'd love to see you fellas there too

Would Almeria work for people ? Or indeed would you rather do Portimao with NL and put them back on the acceptable list ? (not my preference)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Jerez and Portimao are stunning and unique.
Almeria is equivalent to Mallory.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:59 am Jerez and Portimao are stunning and unique.
However they're £250-300 more...
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:59 am Jerez and Portimao are stunning and unique.
Admittedly Almeria is definitely a bit "council" compared to Portimao or Jerez in terms of presence and facilities, but a Mallory it ain't.
It's a challenging and real fun track IMO, and Mojacar is a great resort too

And I guess 4 or 5-day trip allows you to have a proper messy night and not feel like you've wasted a day too- I'd be up for either Almeria or an NL organised one if that's the consensus :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I meant trying to get folk to spend big money to go somewhere in summer, is easier if the circuit is a beauty. I went to Almeria and Cartagena in winter, but not worth all the travel and money in summer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:07 am I meant trying to get folk to spend big money to go somewhere in summer, is easier if the circuit is a beauty. I went to Almeria and Cartagena in winter, but not worth all the travel and money in summer.
Finance has to play a factor though for some, especially as we for example are £600 down and adding in an extra £600 on the trip would be a £1200 swing and that can't be irrelevant.