Chell Honda TT winner

Anything you like about motorbikes
Couchy

Chell Honda TT winner

Post by Couchy »

Watched this bike being restored in the unit opposite us using press cuttings for info, ‘The 1976 500cc Production TT Winner ridden by Frank Rutter & Mick Poxon in the 10 lap race. The Chell Honda CB500-4 machine averaged over 90mph for the race including 3 fuel stops and a rider change at each stop. 45 years ago which ain't bad going!!’

Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Chell Honda TT winner

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

That's very "period"
Honda Owner
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 pm That's very "period"
It’s exactly how it was when it won in ‘76. I was offered a go today but had no helmet or gear with me 😞
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Nice, I am going to show my age here, but was there!

Apart from paint, the bike looks exactly the same as the one that we (Keith Manning Motorcycles) had Bill Smith (who was had a Honda dealership himself in Chester) on in the same race, he broke down with I think a broken footrest or something unfortunately, but John ( Lavender) finished 8th in the same race on an RD350A- I had the top end from it on my RD250 on L plates 2 years later, had by far the fastest bike of any of my mates :D
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Tricky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:23 pm Nice, I am going to show my age here, but was there!

Apart from paint, the bike looks exactly the same as the one that we (Keith Manning Motorcycles) had Bill Smith (who was had a Honda dealership himself in Chester) on in the same race, he broke down with I think a broken footrest or something unfortunately, but John ( Lavender) finished 8th in the same race on an RD350A- I had the top end from it on my RD250 on L plates 2 years later, had by far the fastest bike of any of my mates :D
It’s a stunning resto but then again the guy that builds them Dave Greenham is known for classic Hondas, his CB550 that Pete Boast races puts out 90hp at the rear wheel. I pop into their unit most days for a cuppa and a look at the old Honda race stuff. He was also a 500cc GP mechanic during the 90’s so loads of memorabilia and stuff. I just wish I could afford one of his bikes 🤣