Trying a GS....

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Horse

Re: Trying a GS....

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 pm I'm starting to get used to the indicators on the KRS. It does actually feel quite natural... except when it comes to cancelling them. I still have to look at the bars to find the cancel button.
Don't forget pressing both together - instant hazards.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:30 pm

that's also one of the crappest vids on youtube - it's impossible to see anything!
Here you go, hopefully a bit clearer :D Look at the diagrams in here.

http://largiader.com/paralever/

On a swingarm the wheel is always in the same place relative to the arm, they move 'as one'. In the paralever they move relative to each other a bit, one effect of which is that anything mounted on the arms would also move relative to the wheel.

So you have two choices, mount the hugger far enough away that it will never clash with the wheel or mount it from the wheel centre point. BMW seem to have chosen the latter in this GS, which means it will always live up to its name and hug the wheel.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 pm I'm starting to get used to the indicators on the KRS. It does actually feel quite natural... except when it comes to cancelling them. I still have to look at the bars to find the cancel button.
It just takes a subtle moment of the thumb - no need to move the hand at at all. Once the muscle memory gets there it’s automatic.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:49 am
Rockburner wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:30 pm

that's also one of the crappest vids on youtube - it's impossible to see anything!
Here you go, hopefully a bit clearer :D Look at the diagrams in here.

http://largiader.com/paralever/

On a swingarm the wheel is always in the same place relative to the arm, they move 'as one'. In the paralever they move relative to each other a bit, one effect of which is that anything mounted on the arms would also move relative to the wheel.

So you have two choices, mount the hugger far enough away that it will never clash with the wheel or mount it from the wheel centre point. BMW seem to have chosen the latter in this GS, which means it will always live up to its name and hug the wheel.
Yes, i know how it works, I've owned 5 bikes with Paralever! :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Loved my GS. Got one as i was riding like a cock everywhere locally on the Zx636 and was either going to have a large accident or get nicked at lockable up speeds. Had seen Adam, Animal and a few others hustle them about so got one to bring my speed down. Kept it 5 years and was an excellent bike at everything from touring to back road playtime as it soaked up the shitty road surfaces that would make your eyeballs rattle on a sports bike. The telelever front end allows liberties to be taken with trail braking into corners as well ;)

I would have got another one but got offered a better response and deal from the Ducati dealership when i was looking to change and the BMW dealer lied to me about warranty issues so i got a Multistrada instead
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

wheelnut wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:03 am
It just takes a subtle moment of the thumb - no need to move the hand at at all. Once the muscle memory gets there it’s automatic.
This, when I get off the K and onto the Pan, it feels all wrong trying to use the indicators.

I very nearly bought a 1200 GS, but a guy I work with put me off with tales of them blowing up, including his one. He's a former BM dealer mechanic and his still let go despite being perfectly maintained.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

If the examples of owners over there are anything like the ones here, you'll have to start running wide into oncoming traffic on corners on a regular basis.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Loved my 1150 Adv - the 1200 was a bike i never gelled with. Dunno why ..
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 am If the examples of owners over there are anything like the ones here, you'll have to start running wide into oncoming traffic on corners on a regular basis.
Unlike many of the riders in that vid you posted, who seem to like hugging the inside of bends - even with oncoming vehicles.
20210507_094000.jpg
20210507_094000.jpg (40.54 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

I've got a 1200 adventure - I love it and hate it in equal measures. There's something about the front end that makes me need to get my foot down quickly coming to a stop - would never try to balance it stationary unless there were a couple of helpers to hand!
Amazingly chuckable for what it is, if a little vague - I don't get too near the edge of the road, that's for sure! I think it's to do with the adventure suspension as the normal ones feel far more precise.
Amazing range from the tank, needs a better saddle but had a touratech one and didn't get on with that either.
Foot pegs are too high for me, my legs feel cramped - putting the saddle on it's highest means the ground is just that bit far down for comfort - coupled with the balance thngy, that's a no.
Pillion comfort is brilliant, as is the ability to swallow luggage and not really notice it.
Build quality is shite for what they cost.
Going to try a Super Tenere and see if that's better.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:54 am I've got a 1200 adventure - I love it and hate it in equal measures. There's something about the front end that makes me need to get my foot down quickly coming to a stop - would never try to balance it stationary unless there were a couple of helpers to hand!
Amazingly chuckable for what it is, if a little vague - I don't get too near the edge of the road, that's for sure! I think it's to do with the adventure suspension as the normal ones feel far more precise.
Amazing range from the tank, needs a better saddle but had a touratech one and didn't get on with that either.
Foot pegs are too high for me, my legs feel cramped - putting the saddle on it's highest means the ground is just that bit far down for comfort - coupled with the balance thngy, that's a no.
Pillion comfort is brilliant, as is the ability to swallow luggage and not really notice it.
Possibly one of the most honest appraisals of the bike I've read.

I've ridden the standard, not the Adv, of both the 1150 and 1200 and really didn't get the fuss. Then a mate got one and had endless problems, but got lost in the hype so is now on his third - despite every one of them spending a LOT of time in the workshop and costing him serious cash at trade in time. I laugh at him talking about KTM reliability issues and he genuinely can't see that his own bikes are as poor.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am Unlike many of the riders in that vid you posted, who seem to like hugging the inside of bends - even with oncoming vehicles.

20210507_094000.jpg
That particular club average 3 or 4 crashes on every ride.
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 pm
Horse wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:37 am Unlike many of the riders in that vid you posted, who seem to like hugging the inside of bends - even with oncoming vehicles.

20210507_094000.jpg
That particular club average 3 or 4 crashes on every ride.
None of the pillion riders you passed seemed particularly comfortable either.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:54 am I've got a 1200 adventure - I love it and hate it in equal measures. There's something about the front end that makes me need to get my foot down quickly coming to a stop - would never try to balance it stationary unless there were a couple of helpers to hand!
It is quite heavy to handball around but it doesn't need a team. I never have any issues stopping or balancing unless it's on a bad camber and my foot doesn't reach the floor, in which case I just put the other foot down.

The 'dead' fromt end feeling is just a characeristic of the front telelever suspension - they all do that sir. And yes, the seat is woeful - couple of hundered miles and I'm shuffling. Twisty roads help - you tend to move araound more.

I know what you mean about the build quality but I would say it's still has a more quality feel than something like a Tenere.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

lostboy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am Possibly one of the most honest appraisals of the bike I've read.

I've ridden the standard, not the Adv, of both the 1150 and 1200 and really didn't get the fuss. Then a mate got one and had endless problems, but got lost in the hype so is now on his third - despite every one of them spending a LOT of time in the workshop and costing him serious cash at trade in time. I laugh at him talking about KTM reliability issues and he genuinely can't see that his own bikes are as poor.
I've had various 1200's and now the 1250. The worst failure was the final drive letting go. Apart from that they've only really been in for servicing. I've probably done around 160k on them in total.
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

wheelnut wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:30 pm
lostboy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am Possibly one of the most honest appraisals of the bike I've read.

I've had various 1200's and now the 1250. The worst failure was the final drive letting go. Apart from that they've only really been in for servicing. I've probably done around 160k on them in total.
If mine's any indicator in the 4 or 5k I've done on it, I'd say you've been very lucky;
Starting issues, then gear position indicator playing up - turns out it needed a new position indicator.
Fuel gauge and warning light issues - replacement fuel strip required.
Clutch slip under fast take-offs - never got a definitive solution, replaced the clutch (what an absolute ball-ache of a job) but to be honest the one that was in there wasn't too bad.
Went into Hillcrest for a remap which highlighted a mid-range flat spot, again never really got a definitive resolution but changing the plugs away from Iridium and replacing a secondary stick coil improved matters.
More fuel indication issues, just what you need on the way back after a very early start to spectate the Tour de France - refused to pay for another crappy fuel strip so have done a float conversion, now the gauge doesn't move until it's done 150 miles but at least it'll tell me when I'm getting low!
I think the fuelling is pretty poor, the ECU is trying to lean off the mixture whenever it can and you can tell. BMW have done a good job of making an antiquated engine perform reasonably well but my first Hayabusa of 21 years ago was far superior with regards to fuelling (and in most other way too but that's a different matter).
The K1200s I had a while back had to have a clutch replaced due to judder and also had corrosion issues!
My mate's identical K1200s had the rear suspension collapse at 100mph+ - a linkage pivot pin had seized and then sheared off, he was lucky and managed to bring it to a halt with the rear wheel trying to rub it's way through the plastic oil tank! A trip to the dealer for mine resulted in a bit of an issue, we'd travelled up to Preston area on the M6 and turned off for some twisties, I thought the handling was a bit off so stopped and discovered the back tyre was covered in oil where the dealership had made a pig's ear of getting the oil tank cap on!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:54 am If mine's any indicator in the 4 or 5k I've done on it, I'd say you've been very lucky;
Starting issues, then gear position indicator playing up - turns out it needed a new position indicator.
Fuel gauge and warning light issues - replacement fuel strip required.
Clutch slip under fast take-offs - never got a definitive solution, replaced the clutch (what an absolute ball-ache of a job) but to be honest the one that was in there wasn't too bad.
Went into Hillcrest for a remap which highlighted a mid-range flat spot, again never really got a definitive resolution but changing the plugs away from Iridium and replacing a secondary stick coil improved matters.
More fuel indication issues, just what you need on the way back after a very early start to spectate the Tour de France - refused to pay for another crappy fuel strip so have done a float conversion, now the gauge doesn't move until it's done 150 miles but at least it'll tell me when I'm getting low!
I think the fuelling is pretty poor, the ECU is trying to lean off the mixture whenever it can and you can tell. BMW have done a good job of making an antiquated engine perform reasonably well but my first Hayabusa of 21 years ago was far superior with regards to fuelling (and in most other way too but that's a different matter).
The K1200s I had a while back had to have a clutch replaced due to judder and also had corrosion issues!
My mate's identical K1200s had the rear suspension collapse at 100mph+ - a linkage pivot pin had seized and then sheared off, he was lucky and managed to bring it to a halt with the rear wheel trying to rub it's way through the plastic oil tank! A trip to the dealer for mine resulted in a bit of an issue, we'd travelled up to Preston area on the M6 and turned off for some twisties, I thought the handling was a bit off so stopped and discovered the back tyre was covered in oil where the dealership had made a pig's ear of getting the oil tank cap on!
That's horrendous and fairly typical. I really fail to understand why these bikes sell in the numbers they do.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I have to say that a GS has never even slightly intruded into a list of Possible Bikes I Might Fancy. They're just too big, too bulky, too tall and too ugly (to my eyes at least). But then I'm probably scarred by an unpleasant experience with a BMW R45 in the mid eighties...

BMW GS owners are some of the fiercest in supporting their chosen steed; there is some real brand loyalty there. A friend of mine has one and he can really hustle that thing, all the while looking very composed (which is a neat trick). He's unlikely to change bikes any time soon.

But me, I just don't get it. I'm unimpressed by the reliability tales I've heard and I don't judge motorcycle purchases by how much metal I'm getting for my money. If anything I'm prepared to pay a premium for lightness. Give me Colin Chapman's motto - 'simplify and add lightness'.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've never ridden a GS (well I've ridden the wife's 700GS, but that's totally different), I did own a Honda Varadero, which was a similar weight, size and power. I really liked it as a comfortable mile muncher and European tourer.

Fraction of the price of the GS and Homda reliability, but no one wants them..
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:07 pm
That's horrendous and fairly typical. I really fail to understand why these bikes sell in the numbers they do.
The GS1150 was pretty well sorted by the end of its life like the one i had as a late model, the early GS1200's were a catalogue of faults and all sorts of issues. You might remember Adam/Abel had an early 1200 and he spent a lot of time on AA trucks with that one with an assortment of issues His later model 1200 GSA was reliable despite all the miles he threw at it including a Norway tour

I almost bought one of the new liquid cooled ones when i chopped in the 1150 but the local BMW dealer lied and dismissed all my questions on faults and warranties saying there were no issues with the bike despite me knowing of 3 bikes going through that same dealer with large warranty claims at the time. When i spoke to the Ducati dealership they said "if it goes wrong, we''ll sort it under warranty and make sure we look after you"

I bought the Ducati and they did look after me under warranty so i bought another one when i broke the first one :thumbup: