What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Mussels »

Mussels wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 pm I got a bit carried away today. I found out the 4' aquarium I ordered was out of stock and refunded, now I'm looking at 7' aquariums instead as I have the perfect spot to put one. I know that's going to be a drain on my time and money but I can't stop myself.
After looking at huge fish tanks something didn't seem right and I realised it would be like walking into a room where the TV is way too big, so I bought a 4' one from the shop down the road instead and he delivered it this afternoon. :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm
I had in my head a 70" Philip's, but the salesman was very knowledgeable and steered us to a 65" QLED Samsung which was €150 more but 5" less.
The salesmen usually have targets to sell certain things on certain weeks, you're better off getting the one you want rather than the one he keeps trying to point you towards.

We got a big telly, but the salesman kept trying to steer us towards something else until I got cross with him and told him to leave us alone whilst we decided. He went off in a sulk and never came back and we got another salesman to sell us the one we wanted.
Last edited by Potter on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Skub wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:04 pm 40 years married today.

We celebrated with a day's walking and a picnic in the Glens near Cushendun. Awesome views and my legs are walked off.

Are yer sure this is Ireland? I've been staring at this for 15 minutes and I still can't see the little leprechaun in the green velvet suit :think:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:31 am
Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm
I had in my head a 70" Philip's, but the salesman was very knowledgeable and steered us to a 65" QLED Samsung which was €150 more but 5" less.
The salesmen usually have targets to sell certain things on certain weeks, you're better off getting the one you want rather than the one he keeps trying to point you towards.

We got a big telly, but the salesman kept trying to steer us towards something else until I got cross with him and told him to leave us alone whilst we decided. He went off in a sulk and never came back and we got another salesman to sell us the one we wanted.
We asked him to look for MotoGP on YouTube then he played it on all 3 TVs and let us watch them all to compare. They all seemed a bit iffy.

Then same with a 4K New York drone video.
Then he stopped them all at 3:18 and let us walk between all 3 TVs and inspect the picture close up.

No pressure.. None really blew me away.

They must be better than my 4 year old jobby, but last night mine still blew me away.

Hmmm.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Potter wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:36 am
Skub wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:04 pm 40 years married today.

We celebrated with a day's walking and a picnic in the Glens near Cushendun. Awesome views and my legs are walked off.

Are yer sure this is Ireland? I've been staring at this for 15 minutes and I still can't see the little leprechaun in the green velvet suit :think:
The little tourist hunting shite became uncharacteristically shy when his request for photgraphic payment was refused. It seems he was right when he claimed if he wasn't in the shot,folk wouldn't believe it was Oirland. :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

space ex today 0----> 10,000 MPH in just 8 minutes

the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Been to London and back. Had a resuscitating cup of Monsoon Malabar in the garden. Too many people around!!

Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

On the subject of London, I caught up with a friend who has been a black cab driver for years. He told me two stories which made me chuckle:

As things were opening up last week he was a bit more optimistic about work, but he said it was still a bit shit. Sat on the rank at Charing Cross for an hour, he's now second in line and out come six young ladies who try to get in the first cab. Being an older cab, he points them to my mate who's got a new LEVC with six seats in the back. In they clamber and he says within 30 seconds he's regretting it as they're well tanked up and very loud, but a jobs a job. Two minutes later and there's a commotion and true to form, one's vomited all over the floor of the cab. He's got them to where they wanted to go and, as he said, he's within his rights to charged them £50 quid, but in his words, 'By that time, I just wanted to fucking go home and mop up the vomit'.

A couple of days later, trade is still pants, he's taken about £20 all day. So he's on a rank and along comes a lady with a baby in a carrier, asks him to take to the Nigerian embassy. He explains it's just around the corner, but she says it's fine, jumps in. They get there, she gets her card out and lo and behold, his card machine has packed up. She's got no cash. She very kindly offers to take his number and pay later, but he said he just laughed and told her this one was on him and to have a good day. He then had to take the machine to be sorted, and again, suffered a huge failure of enthusiasm and came home.

Not a good time to be a black cab driver at them moment.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:14 pm On the subject of London, I caught up with a friend who has been a black cab driver for years. He told me two stories which made me chuckle:

As things were opening up last week he was a bit more optimistic about work, but he said it was still a bit shit. Sat on the rank at Charing Cross for an hour, he's now second in line and out come six young ladies who try to get in the first cab. Being an older cab, he points them to my mate who's got a new LEVC with six seats in the back. In they clamber and he says within 30 seconds he's regretting it as they're well tanked up and very loud, but a jobs a job. Two minutes later and there's a commotion and true to form, one's vomited all over the floor of the cab. He's got them to where they wanted to go and, as he said, he's within his rights to charged them £50 quid, but in his words, 'By that time, I just wanted to fucking go home and mop up the vomit'.

A couple of days later, trade is still pants, he's taken about £20 all day. So he's on a rank and along comes a lady with a baby in a carrier, asks him to take to the Nigerian embassy. He explains it's just around the corner, but she says it's fine, jumps in. They get there, she gets her card out and lo and behold, his card machine has packed up. She's got no cash. She very kindly offers to take his number and pay later, but he said he just laughed and told her this one was on him and to have a good day. He then had to take the machine to be sorted, and again, suffered a huge failure of enthusiasm and came home.

Not a good time to be a black cab driver at them moment.
Does it matter if he's black?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Does it matter if he's black?
Black Cabs Matter
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went to Thônes this morning so a friend could get his second jab. I walked his dog whilst he was getting the superpowers. Thônes is seriously pretty! (Well, as with all places, not all of it is but most!)

Came back to Bourg (via a stop at a sandwich shack for lunch) so I could get my second jab

Then he dropped me at physio for 30 mins and went and walked the dog by the river

Home, picked up car from his place (did have the obligatory mug of tea before setting out for the 10 minute drive home!!!)

Came back to mine to find that I am officially an Irish citizen :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench:

They've done the certificate in my old name but I'm pretty sure that I can apply in the legal name anyway :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Ooooh - and in the middle of that, a friend that is about 7 hours from me replied to a query and I'm taking the Ducati to him next weekend (can't risk booking stuff for this weekend as the first vaccine wiped me out for 24 hours!).

So there's a few happies today to help with the general mood!!! :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Roomie comes home today, dog will be happy. AHRMA races at Willow this weekend along with classic bike show & swapmeet tomorrow. A former AMA Superbike Z1 I once had a part-ownership in should be racing.. so that's my Saturday sorted. May give the bike an up-spiff later today.
It's only 19 miles (13min 32secs) away & hoping I don't end up at the ER again like I did when I rode it last Sunday.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Wossname wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:39 pm Quiet day today, recovering gently from yesterday, which involved: lying absolutely still, unsedated,.
for 2 hours, while a team of 7 or 8 very skilled and focused people fiddled around inside my chest. I'm quite a chilled sort usually, but I had to really concentrate to maintain that, watching the wires making their way around my heart.
Upshot: I have only 1 blockage (good) which they weren't able to stent as it was calcified and the narrowing was so small they could only get the guide wire through, not the stenting balloon (hence 2 hrs instead of 30 min). So... rotablation. Basically Black and Decker, Kango, angle grinder, JCB for the big bits. Not sure when. Ho hum. Missing the bike....
Not today exactly, but an update: rotablation involves a tiny angle grinder being used to split the calcified obstruction to my R coronary artery lengthwise 5 times so that they can then use the balloons to dilate it, then pop in the stent. It's 2.75 x 48mm i.e. nearly 2" long, on the surface of my heart, which I find a bit distracting when I think about it. Apparently that was the only narrowed vessel and the heart muscle itself is undamaged so yay! The engineering used is amazing, but another 1.5 hrs work up my radial artery has left me with a very painful, purple, black and blue arm and I'm still knackered a week later. Onwards, upwards...

Just thought you'd like to know. X
Skub

Post by Skub »

Wossname wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:01 pm
Wossname wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:39 pm Quiet day today, recovering gently from yesterday, which involved: lying absolutely still, unsedated,.
for 2 hours, while a team of 7 or 8 very skilled and focused people fiddled around inside my chest. I'm quite a chilled sort usually, but I had to really concentrate to maintain that, watching the wires making their way around my heart.
Upshot: I have only 1 blockage (good) which they weren't able to stent as it was calcified and the narrowing was so small they could only get the guide wire through, not the stenting balloon (hence 2 hrs instead of 30 min). So... rotablation. Basically Black and Decker, Kango, angle grinder, JCB for the big bits. Not sure when. Ho hum. Missing the bike....
Not today exactly, but an update: rotablation involves a tiny angle grinder being used to split the calcified obstruction to my R coronary artery lengthwise 5 times so that they can then use the balloons to dilate it, then pop in the stent. It's 2.75 x 48mm i.e. nearly 2" long, on the surface of my heart, which I find a bit distracting when I think about it. Apparently that was the only narrowed vessel and the heart muscle itself is undamaged so yay! The engineering used is amazing, but another 1.5 hrs work up my radial artery has left me with a very painful, purple, black and blue arm and I'm still knackered a week later. Onwards, upwards...

Just thought you'd like to know. X
A rebore and oversize pistons.

GWS Woss. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Went for a hugely enjoyable blat around the Peak District on the Duke 690, along with a mate on a Tracer 900 GT. Lovely weather, excellent roads, warm sticky tyres and a nice stop for cheesy garlic pizza bread and a cuppa rosie.

Lovely.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
CbfRider

Post by CbfRider »

Motorcykel = alltid den långa vägen hem! :D Still loving biking here in Sweden. Only problem with April here is just when you think it will be a good biking weekend, it snows again! lol :thumbdown:
signal-2021-04-23-181325.jpeg
signal-2021-04-23-181325.jpeg (341.79 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

CbfRider wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:05 am Motorcykel = alltid den långa vägen hem! :D Still loving biking here in Sweden. Only problem with April here is just when you think it will be a good biking weekend, it snows again! lol :thumbdown:
It does that where I am (French Alps!). I don't have a bike at the mo but hopefully in summer it'll stop snowing!! LOL LOL :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

After doing an oil change on the bike,I was running it around the block just to make sure all was ok,when I thought I felt something hit me on my right thigh,then felt something hit the footrest. I looked in the mirror and didn't see anything bouncing about the road and nothing appeared to be missing from the bike. It was only when I got home and took my gear off I realised I'd left my right pocket open and my phone had gone.

I hurriedly geared up and rode back to where I'd felt something and sure enough there was my phone lying on the main road. To say the road was busy today would be an understatement,yet somehow the phone was unharmed and fully operational. :shock:

The thing has a charmed life. A few years ago I left it sitting on the ground in the middle of Valletta when we were in Malta and one of the street traders spotted it and kept it for me when I returned half and hour later!

I'll maybe do one of the bike comps tonight. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:28 pm After doing an oil change on the bike,I was running it around the block just to make sure all was ok,when I thought I felt something hit me on my right thigh,then felt something hit the footrest. I looked in the mirror and didn't see anything bouncing about the road and nothing appeared to be missing from the bike. It was only when I got home and took my gear off I realised I'd left my right pocket open and my phone had gone.

I hurriedly geared up and rode back to where I'd felt something and sure enough there was my phone lying on the main road. To say the road was busy today would be an understatement,yet somehow the phone was unharmed and fully operational. :shock:

The thing has a charmed life. A few years ago I left it sitting on the ground in the middle of Valletta when we were in Malta and one of the street traders spotted it and kept it for me when I returned half and hour later!

I'll maybe do one of the bike comps tonight. :thumbup:
Them old 90s Nokias were built tough :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:42 pm
Them old 90s Nokias were built tough :)
I can only dream of modern,new fangled 90s stuff. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman