Harley-Davidson turn the adventure bike market on its head with the new Pan America

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Harley-Davidson turn the adventure bike market on its head with the new Pan America

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigjawa wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am The American Dream.

Made in Thailand.
Just like 'fly the flag' Triumph, then.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigjawa

Re: Harley-Davidson turn the adventure bike market on its head with the new Pan America

Post by Bigjawa »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 am

Made in Thailand.
I gave up on country snobbery when I bought a Malaysian car and it was great.

I wonder if the average HD rider knows that his ride isn't from Milwaukee any more?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Bigjawa wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:07 pm
I wonder if the average HD rider knows that his ride isn't from Milwaukee any more?
Yup.
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:47 am Right, if someone could let old Trump know that a good old Yankie bike has half of its loom made in Mexico..
The Spin Doctor

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 am

Made in Thailand.
I gave up on country snobbery when I bought a Malaysian car and it was great.

But what was it sold as?

Triumph relaunched on a wave of 'Buy British' propaganda, were lauded recently as a 'triumph of British business' by the Tories, and have steadily been shipping production offshore. The last two production lines still building bikes in the UK are due to shut any time soon. Just the R&D facility remains and most of the jobs this 'British success story' created have vanished too.

Personally, I bought my first bike made in Japan at the time when they were still looked down on as rice burners. Even just a few years ago, there was a lot of sniffiness about the NC series and the new Honda 500s for being built in Thailand.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Every fucking branch on the way down.

And that, from the owner of a Triumph Tiger.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:47 pm

But what was it sold as?

Triumph relaunched on a wave of 'Buy British' propaganda, were lauded recently as a 'triumph of British business' by the Tories, and have steadily been shipping production offshore. The last two production lines still building bikes in the UK are due to shut any time soon. Just the R&D facility remains and most of the jobs this 'British success story' created have vanished too.

Personally, I bought my first bike made in Japan at the time when they were still looked down on as rice burners. Even just a few years ago, there was a lot of sniffiness about the NC series and the new Honda 500s for being built in Thailand.
I suppose it's Caveat Emptor, it's not a new thing, Brazilian CG125s and RD350R, all Honda's best 125s coming from Italy, BMW's with Chinese engines etc.

My own "Japanese" 125 is made in India and had had the absolute dung thrashed out of it for 28k miles with minimal maintenance, the fact that it hasn't blown up and still starts first time every time is as much due to Sanjay and the lads being able to screw it together well, as it is to the soundness off the design.

Building bikes isn't rocket science by a long way, as long as the design is sound, almost anybody can screw them together and if you want them a low price, the bloke who'll work for a metaphorical bowl of rice a day, will always be cheaper than Harold in Hinkley or Willie in Wisconsin.

I thought that people with country snobbery with regards to vehicles died out around the time people stopped buying Austin Princesses and bought Camrys instead
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 pm
Yup.
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:47 am Right, if someone could let old Trump know that a good old Yankie bike has half of its loom made in Mexico..
Just checked, mine was knocked together in Kansas
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 am

Really?

What does the R18 not do in cruiser-world? (apart from make 'potato-potato-potato' noises). Asking seriously btw as I know only a little about cruisers, and what I do know is that they seem to be designed solely for being uncomfortable to ride, and only at slower speeds. :eh:

R18 is very impressive, they are huge in the flesh.

Speaking for the lad's HD, the potato thing is the best thing about it. The rest of the bike is inferior to something like a Virago 1100.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bigjawa wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:12 am
Rockburner wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 am

Really?

What does the R18 not do in cruiser-world? (apart from make 'potato-potato-potato' noises). Asking seriously btw as I know only a little about cruisers, and what I do know is that they seem to be designed solely for being uncomfortable to ride, and only at slower speeds. :eh:

R18 is very impressive, they are huge in the flesh.

Speaking for the lad's HD, the potato thing is the best thing about it. The rest of the bike is inferior to something like a Virago 1100.
Dynamically: the HDs I rode a few years ago were inferior to a 1958 Matchless G80.
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Another review, this one from More Crap than News...

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... rica/2021/

The more I see it the more it's growing on me. The single colours do look better than the Orange/White ones.

None of them are saying it's total shite. I'd ride it if I was given one.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Not my thang, but interesting, will have to see where they go with the motor and what it ends up in.

Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 pm it's growing on me.
Like warts and acne? :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

So, just a thought but as its not a shaft drive, its got the sprocket and disc on the correct sides and has rims properly designed for tubeless instead of that shonky shit where people seal the spoke holes with silicone.
I'm wondering if the rear wheel might be something used in spoked wheel conversions of other bikes.
I was just looking at the rims on a BMW 1200GS today and wondering about them to get tubeless tyres on another bike but the hubs being shaftie they won't be any use for any other bike.

To be fair, I can't see a huge amount of these Harley wheels flooding the market but once a few manufacturers start using rims like that things could get interesting.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Is that praise I’m reading!

The Spin Doctor

Nah... it's the Mirror!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

More overall praise below. I think its certainly not looking like the joke most thought it would be! I hope it works out well for Harley as they are deffo in a spot of bother and i'd not like to see the back of them.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/harle ... al-review/
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

:o :shock: :thumbup:

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Co-founder of ADVrider gives his impressions...

Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:28 pm I hope it works out well for Harley as they are deffo in a spot of bother and i'd not like to see the back of them.
I'll be glad to see the back of the POS broken down in my driveway.

Might try and blag a spin on one when the dealer gets a demo.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I think most of the reviews I've read and watched have been overwhelmingly positive and surprising for the testers!! I think the face lift model will have addressed the things like lack of quickshifter and adaptive cruise control and I think its going to win a lot of the market share.

It's a bit of a wheelie monster with all the restrictions turned off. @Couchy goes a bit left field from time to time. I reckon it wont be long before we see him trouncing everyone on one and getting air at Cadwell mountain! Selling it afterwards obvs... :D