Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Is Russia just about to invade Ukraine?

Post by weeksy »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm

If it can happen there, it can happen here.
It already is, you're our Trump. You just don't see it yet :)

DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

An interesting analogy. I guess I must be McMurphy in this scenario and RTL is the lunatic asylum.

McMurphy is of course the only sane person in that room. The administration are the embodiment of evil.

When rational discussion fails, McMurphy is punished severely for daring to speak out.

Yeah ok. Not sure that's entirely the picture you were hoping to paint. Frankly I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm Nothing Boris is doing currently is affecting the world order (except possibly our relationship with Saudi Arabia). Everything Biden does is and it's not going well for this admin. Russia can see that, the CCP can see that and they will take advantage of these signs of weakness.
I think this is mainly in your head
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm I think this is mainly in your head
I am not interested in what you think is in my head.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm
DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm I think this is mainly in your head
I am not interested in what you think is in my head.
Why are you engaging in a discussion on a forum then fella ? You can't just throw random thoughts out and not expect someone to comment... Otherwise it's just a bulletin board then not a discussion forum.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:51 pm Why are you engaging in a discussion on a forum then fella ? You can't just throw random thoughts out and not expect someone to comment... Otherwise it's just a bulletin board then not a discussion forum.
I think Russia are just about to invade Ukraine and I also think the timing is coincident with a weak USA. Likewise Taiwan.

Even if you want to insist those are the random thoughts of a suspected madman, I would still prefer to be answered or put right rather than lobotomised just so that I can "fit in".
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:41 pm McMurphy is of course the only sane person in that room.
Could argue that Chief wasn't as insane as he made out.

One of my favourite books and the film didn't disappoint either.

Mind Chief likely kept his head down cos otherwise in America the police would have shot him.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm not saying I agree with any particular theories here and if there had never been any wars on planet earth then I'd also think Deadpool was nuts, but there have, still is and will be future wars to be played out and if you think that global tension is a myth and a weak USA won't nudge things along then I envy your innocence.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Putin is testing to see just how far he can go, he's done it countless times before, even by sending aircraft over UK airspace in 2020.

Meh. Likely cos Boris/Trump is/was a weak leader etc.
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:32 pm Putin is testing to see just how far he can go, he's done it countless times before, even by sending aircraft over UK airspace in 2020.

Meh. Likely cos Boris/Trump is/was a weak leader etc.
It depends on your definition of weak, I only used the term because it was already in use, but it's not the right term really.
Reluctance to openly oppose or engage would be a better term.

Big business doesn't want war, despite the Hollywood films that say so, which means that Putin can push pretty hard before big business calls war.
I'm not in the business of war anymore, I'm in the business of business and no wars will suit me nicely, but one shouldn't be blind to the global chess board.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Oh right if it's all about there being no war in my part of the world then I guess I'm fine with it. Russia can crack on and well done Biden.

I'm still not seeing how Trump's positioning was really any different though - maybe his addled chestbeating MericaFirst bollocks was enough to keep foreign powers at bay? If so, well done Trump. Who knew?
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:16 pm Oh right if it's all about there being no war in my part of the world then I guess I'm fine with it. Russia can crack on and well done Biden.

I'm still not seeing how Trump's positioning was really any different though - maybe his addled chestbeating MericaFirst bollocks was enough to keep foreign powers at bay? If so, well done Trump. Who knew?
I don't know where it would have got to, but his ego wouldn't have let him turn a blind eye, he'd have rattled his sabre.
Biden is likely to not even acknowledge it beyond some sort of token statement.

I'd take Obama in a heartbeat to deal with it before either of them.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:16 pm Oh right if it's all about there being no war in my part of the world then I guess I'm fine with it. Russia can crack on and well done Biden.

Well he is the only President I know of who didn't start a war.

Interestingly when you fact check that statement with the left wing propaganda misinformation mongers, they say he is not.

But then of course rather bizarrely they go on to say he is! All you have to do is redefine war with "new war" "conflict" "supporting role" etc. and hey presto, Trump is a warmonger. Oh I mean, isn't the only President I can think of who hasn't blah blah.

Then again, you can fact check all you like and you'll never discover which Presidents DEADPOOL knows or doesn't know so my statement is sound. Biden might be the next one though he is, in my opinion, the most likely President to be on the receiving end of a war.

Trump also did some quite spectacular peacekeeping in the Middle East. The Biden admin are currently unpicking that. The last thing they want is for peace to break out! I hear they are already funding the PLO...

Oh and Iran of course.

What could possibly go wrong...
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 pm

I'm going to need someone to tell me how Obama dealt with the invasion of Crimea in 2014 . . .

Not sure he did anything at all tbh.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:41 pm
Potter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 pm

I'm going to need someone to tell me how Obama dealt with the invasion of Crimea in 2014 . . .

I think he took a good look at it and thought to leave his nose out of it, at least publicly anyway, who knows what black ops did.
Biden is likely to turn his back and pretend it didn't happen.
Trump would talk loudly about it.

The end result might end up being the same, but the dead people aren't what is important, it's about what is seen to be done and how the rest of the world responds.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Yambo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:41 pm I'm going to need someone to tell me how Obama dealt with the invasion of Crimea in 2014 . . .

Not a lot by all accounts.

I risk an imminent ban but this does tie in with my earlier comments regarding Hunter Biden's dodgy dealings in Ukraine, backed by his dad, then VP Biden who got the investigators fired! The only backlash against that was when Trump rang up to ask wtf was going on. Naturally he got lambasted for that.

I'm just gonna say it: while I was severely criticised, censored and then banned for my diatribe against the Biden mafia which the mainstream media were calling lies, Russian disinformation, not-my-laptop etc. and this forum was calling me bonkers. Hunter has just released a book admitting to all of it. Now "dad" is POTUS, he goes on to say he will not be found guilty of any wrongdoing.

Can't argue with that. Probably the most honest statement he's ever made. However the Biden mafia involvement with Burisma/Ukraine is going to be a big test for the administration when Russia invade. Shame John Le Carre is dead. This would have made a great book, of course, no one would believe it...
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:17 pm
I'm just gonna say it: while I was severely criticised, censored and then banned for my diatribe
Or was it because you became a pain-in-the-arse to the management?

I've had to stop calling folk tw@ts on here - imagine how hard that's been?
moth

Post by moth »

DEADPOOL wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:33 pm

Well he is the only President I know of who didn't start a war.

Franklin D Roosevelt
Gerald Ford
William J Clinton

To name but three in the last 100 years.

For someone who's so in love with American politics, you seem amazingly ignorant of the subject.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

moth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:10 pm Franklin D Roosevelt
Gerald Ford
William J Clinton

To name but three in the last 100 years.

For someone who's so in love with American politics, you seem amazingly ignorant of the subject.
I'll bite but weeksy's not going to like it.

Ok Clinton first..

1992–2003: Iraq: Iraqi no-fly zones, The U.S., United Kingdom, and its Gulf War allies declared and enforced "no-fly zones" over the majority of sovereign Iraqi airspace, prohibiting Iraqi flights in zones in southern Iraq and northern Iraq, conducting aerial reconnaissance, and several specific attacks on Iraqi air-defense systems as part of the UN mandate. Often, Iraqi forces continued throughout a decade by firing on U.S. and British aircraft patrolling no-fly zones.(See also Operation Northern Watch, Operation Southern Watch) [RL30172]
1993–1995: Bosnia: Operation Deny Flight, On April 12, 1993, in response to a United Nations Security Council passage of Resolution 816, U.S. and NATO enforced the no-fly zone over the Bosnian airspace, prohibited all unauthorized flights and allowed to "take all necessary measures to ensure compliance with [the no-fly zone restrictions]."
1993: Somalia: Battle of Mogadishu, or the First Battle of Mogadishu, the outcome of Operation Gothic Serpent. October 3–4, 1993, Task Force Ranger, made up largely of the 75th Ranger Regiment and Delta Force entered hostile urban area Mogadishu to seize two high ranking Somali National Army leaders. Two American UH-60 Black Hawks are shot down, 18 Americans are killed in action, with another 73 wounded, and 1 captured. The events of the battle were gathered in the book Black Hawk Down, which was later adapted to a movie of the same name.
1993: Macedonia: On July 9, 1993, President Clinton reported the deployment of 350 U.S. soldiers to the Republic of Macedonia to participate in the UN Protection Force to help maintain stability in the area of former Yugoslavia.[RL30172]
1994: Bosnia: Banja Luka incident, NATO become involved in the first combat situation when NATO U.S. Air Force F-16 jets shot down four of the six Bosnian Serb J-21 Jastreb single-seat light attack jets for violating UN-mandated no-fly zone.
1994–1995: Haiti: Operation Uphold Democracy, U.S. ships had begun embargo against Haiti. Up to 20,000 U.S. military troops were later deployed to Haiti to restore democratically elected Haiti President Jean-Bertrand Aristide from a military regime which came into power in 1991 after a major coup.[RL30172]
1994: Macedonia: On April 19, 1994, President Clinton reported that the U.S. contingent in Macedonia had been increased by a reinforced company of 200 personnel.[RL30172]
1994: Kuwait: Operation Vigilant Warrior began in October 1994 when Iraqi Republican Guard Divisions began repositioning within Iraq south near the Kuwaiti border. U.S. Forces countered with a movement of forces to the Gulf - the largest since Operation Desert Shield. The operation as officially terminated on December 22, 1994. Also see [11]
1995: Bosnia: Operation Deliberate Force, On August 30, 1995, U.S. and NATO aircraft began a major bombing campaign of Bosnian Serb Army in response to a Bosnian Serb mortar attack on a Sarajevo market that killed 37 people on August 28, 1995. This operation lasted until September 20, 1995. The air campaign along with a combined allied ground force of Muslim and Croatian Army against Serb positions led to a Dayton Agreement in December 1995 with the signing of warring factions of the war. As part of Operation Joint Endeavor, U.S. and NATO dispatched the Implementation Force (IFOR) peacekeepers to Bosnia to uphold the Dayton agreement.[RL30172]
1996: Central African Republic, Operation Quick Response: On May 23, 1996, President Clinton reported the deployment of U.S. military personnel to Bangui, Central African Republic, to conduct the evacuation from that country of "private U.S. citizens and certain U.S. government employees", and to provide "enhanced security for the American Embassy in Bangui."[RL30172] United States Marine Corps elements of Joint Task Force Assured Response, responding in nearby Liberia, provided security to the embassy and evacuated 448 people, including between 190 and 208 Americans. The last Marines left Bangui on June 22.
1996: Kuwait: Operation Desert Strike, American Air Strikes in the north to protect the Kurdish population against the Iraqi Army attacks.
1996: Bosnia: Operation Joint Guard, On December 21, 1996, U.S. and NATO established the SFOR peacekeepers to replace the IFOR in enforcing the peace under the Dayton agreement.
1997: Albania: Operation Silver Wake, On March 13, 1997, U.S. military forces were used to evacuate certain U.S. government employees and private U.S. citizens from Tirana, Albania.[RL30172]
1997: Congo and Gabon: On March 27, 1997, President Clinton reported on March 25, 1997, a standby evacuation force of U.S. military personnel had been deployed to Congo and Gabon to provide enhanced security and to be available for any necessary evacuation operation.[RL30172]
1997: Sierra Leone: On May 29 and 30, 1997, U.S. military personnel were deployed to Freetown, Sierra Leone, to prepare for and undertake the evacuation of certain U.S. government employees and private U.S. citizens.[RL30172]
1997: Cambodia: On July 11, 1997, In an effort to ensure the security of American citizens in Cambodia during a period of domestic conflict there, a Task Force of about 550 U.S. military personnel were deployed at Utapao Air Base in Thailand for possible evacuations. [RL30172]
1998: Iraq: Operation Desert Fox, U.S. and British forces conduct a major four-day bombing campaign from December 16–19, 1998 on Iraqi targets.[RL30172]
1998–1999: Kenya and Tanzania: U.S. military personnel were deployed to Nairobi, Kenya, to coordinate the medical and disaster assistance related to the bombing of the U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.[RL30172]
1998: Afghanistan and Sudan: Operation Infinite Reach. On August 20, President Clinton ordered a cruise missile attack against two suspected terrorist training camps in Afghanistan and a suspected chemical factory in Sudan.[RL30172]
1998: Liberia: On September 27, 1998, America deployed a stand-by response and evacuation force of 30 U.S. military personnel to increase the security force at the U.S. Embassy in Monrovia. [1] [RL30172]
1999–2001: East Timor: Limited number of U.S. military forces deployed with the United Nations-mandated International Force for East Timor restore peace to East Timor.[RL30172]
1999: Serbia: Operation Allied Force: U.S. and NATO aircraft began a major bombing of Serbia and Serb positions in Kosovo on March 24, 1999, during the Kosovo War due to the refusal by Serbian President Slobodan Milošević to end repression against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo. This operation ended on June 10, 1999, when Milošević agreed to pull his troops out of Kosovo. In response to the situation in Kosovo, NATO dispatched the KFOR peacekeepers to secure the peace under UNSC Resolution 1244.[RL30172]
2000: Sierra Leone: On May 12, 2000, a U.S. Navy patrol craft deployed to Sierra Leone to support evacuation operations from that country if needed.[RL30172]
2000: Nigeria: Special Forces troops are sent to Nigeria to lead a training mission in the country.[12]
2000: Yemen: On October 12, 2000, after USS Cole attack in the port of Aden, Yemen, military personnel were deployed to Aden.[RL30172]
2000: East Timor: On February 25, 2000, a small number of U.S. military personnel were deployed to support the United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET). [RL30172]
2001: On April 1, 2001, a mid-air collision between a United States Navy EP-3E ARIES II signals surveillance aircraft and a People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) J-8II interceptor fighter jet resulted in an international dispute between the United States and the People's Republic of China called the Hainan Island incident.
2001–present: War in Afghanistan: The War on Terror begins with Operation Enduring Freedom. On October 7, 2001, U.S. Armed Forces invade Afghanistan in response to the 9/11 attacks and "begin combat action in Afghanistan against Al Qaeda terrorists and their Taliban supporters."[RL30172]

Some pretty major military actions in there. Not "war" I suppose but the soundbite regarding Tump is not a dissertation on the precise meaning of his foreign policy. This imprecision is what snopes et.al. rely on to suggest Trump was no better or worse than any other Imperialist Aggressor President. Luckily, this part of history has not yet been erased.

I will wait until asked if anyone wants me to cut and paste from the Gerald Ford period. I think the full quote was "since Roosevelt" so we can draw a line there.
moth

Post by moth »

Google skillz.

You seem confused about the difference between 'intervention' and 'start a war' though. Google that.

Google Eisenhower while you're at it.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.