Tickover sometimes high

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Asian Boss

Tickover sometimes high

Post by Asian Boss »

On my old XL200.

Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it sits at about 4000rpm. From memory this could be the throttle cable sticking or air getting in (between the carb and the engine I think?).

I can't remember what you do to investigate / fix either, it's been so long since I've done anything like this. Any ideas? Or other things which might cause this?
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Nidge

Re: Tickover sometimes high

Post by Nidge »

Firstly spray some some wd40 or anything flammable around the carb rubbers when it's running. If it has an effect on the running you know you've got a cracked carb rubber, although I have to say if it's occasionally sitting at 4k I suspect its a cable or slide issue. How much freeplay have you got on the cable?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'd go for an air leak between the carb and the head
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

For £500 plus expenses I can come over and set it on fire for you.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Thanks chaps (not you KFB, you terrible cunt! ;) ).

I checked the throttle cable and it has what feels like the right amount of free play. It is a bit sticky though so maybe that's the problem. I will try and lubricate it.

I hope it's that, not a leaking carb rubber, I bet it's not easy to get a new one. I wonder if there's some way to rejuvenate or seal cracked old ones. Can't you boil them up in some water with a ha'peth of newt gizard or something?
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Asian Boss wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 pm Thanks chaps (not you KFB, you terrible cunt! ;) ).

I checked the throttle cable and it has what feels like the right amount of free play. It is a bit sticky though so maybe that's the problem. I will try and lubricate it.

I hope it's that, not a leaking carb rubber, I bet it's not easy to get a new one. I wonder if there's some way to rejuvenate or seal cracked old ones. Can't you boil them up in some water with a ha'peth of newt gizard or something?
Oh yeah there are loads of different obscure methods to rejuvenate them. None of them work.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Try spraying WD40 on the inlet rubber while the engine is running, if the tick over changes, you've got an air leak.
You can try rubbing 3 in 1 oil into the rubber to rejuvenate it, but I'd be surprised if you can't get one.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Nidge wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 pm Thanks chaps (not you KFB, you terrible cunt! ;) ).

Oh yeah there are loads of different obscure methods to rejuvenate them. None of them work.
Spoil sport, I was going to move onto Wintergreen oil after the 3 in 1.
Honda Owner
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

cheb

Post by cheb »

Oil of wintergreen is the usual suggestion for rejuvenating rubber, AKA surgical spirit.

Be careful applying it if there is 3 in 1 on the rubber, it reacts and forms an explosive gas.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I took the throttle apart, it seems to be moving fine. I got some Silkopen down the cable anyway.

The carb to hear rubber has electrical tape round it so I'm guessing that's the culprit. I think I'll order one. The bike isn't running as the battery's dead.