The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by ZRX61 »

moth wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:33 pm Does being US made make it better?

Mine's French, and it's a monster :)
The usual option is Chinese crap. There are Le Creuset outlets here with prices that make your head spin, not paying $400 for a glorified frying pan. We also have Williams Sonoma stores which have some rather spiffy stuff.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 pm A US made 10.25in Lodge cast iron skillet. This one is new & the finish is a bit rougher than the really old ones that I think disappeared with the ex wife.
Anywho, I know how to get them seasoned (with proper lard, not that Crisco stuff) & up to snuff, so that will take place on Tuesday when no one else is around. Once I get this one sorted I might just start buying & restoring old ones again. Back in the day I did quite a few for friends. I can pick up loads of them from the thrift stores etc (skillets, not friends)
I have one sat in a storage box. What would I use it for ? Whats the advantages?
moth

Post by moth »

Jody wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 am
ZRX61 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 pm A US made 10.25in Lodge cast iron skillet. This one is new & the finish is a bit rougher than the really old ones that I think disappeared with the ex wife.
Anywho, I know how to get them seasoned (with proper lard, not that Crisco stuff) & up to snuff, so that will take place on Tuesday when no one else is around. Once I get this one sorted I might just start buying & restoring old ones again. Back in the day I did quite a few for friends. I can pick up loads of them from the thrift stores etc (skillets, not friends)
I have one sat in a storage box. What would I use it for ? Whats the advantages?
Steak, fish, vegetables...
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Jody wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 am I have one sat in a storage box. What would I use it for ? Whats the advantages?
They don't melt on open fires / BBQ's
Less likely to contain harmful chemicals (PFOA's etc)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Jody wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 am I have one sat in a storage box. What would I use it for ? Whats the advantages?
First thing it to get it cleaned & seasoned correctly. Plenty of videos on YouBoob etc

moth wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:34 am Steak, fish, vegetables...
Cake, cookies.. in fact just about everything & it can be used on any heat source.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lea ... prod190798

Some MTBing body armour. My 661 is too snug, too hot and too restrictive to breathe properly.. so it's gone.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I also just bought this, just in case. I like to have options

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1656519-Alpi ... 1438.l2649

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:48 pm
moth wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:34 am Steak, fish, vegetables...
Cake, cookies.. in fact just about everything & it can be used on any heat source.
Keep meaning to try 'Spoon Bread' in the BBQ with mine...
moth

Re: Latest Purchase's

Post by moth »

JamJar wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:31 am Got myself an Elegoo Mars 3D resin printer and now I'm stuck at home I am planning to paly with it a lot!
Good luck, and get plenty of resin*. You'll need it. :)

*water washable resin is less of a faff
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Gonna buy a Ninja....

Not the Kaw variety, the 6 in 1 airfryer version with the two separate doodads. Been looking for a couple of months & that's the only one that doesn't seem to come with factory fitted defects & issues.
I looked at a Cuisinart one, read reviews & discovered the plastic knobs melt. Looked at another make that looked rather spiffy, but it's made from bare steel, not stainless & turns rusty within a month.. & that was the two most visibly desirable ones.

Calizuela has a law where purchases such as this can be exchanged at the store for 12 months, even if the warranty states it has to be returned directly to the manufacturer after 30 days. I realized I'd going back to Target store every 3 months for a new one if I got the Cuisinart.
WallyWorld has the *same* Ninja cheaper than Target, but that version is a 4 in1 as it comes without 2 of the features of the *identical* one sold everywhere else.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

moth

Post by moth »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 pm Gonna buy a Ninja....

Not the Kaw variety, the 6 in 1 airfryer version with the two separate doodads. Been looking for a couple of months & that's the only one that doesn't seem to come with factory fitted defects & issues.

Got one. They're fooking brilliant :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

moth wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 pm Gonna buy a Ninja....

Got one. They're fooking brilliant :)
I'll second that!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Well I hope it's pleasing, it should be;

irie

Post by irie »

Recently bought a Buzz Rack Eazzy 2 bike folding and tilting rack (BRP722) for £236 inc. delivery. Mounts on a towbar and is rock steady, used for the first time today by Mrs irie who carried her 2.8" FS MTB 29er on it. Made in Taiwan and is very well made, and amazing VFM.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... C4ure_QXUD

http://buzzrack.com/galleries/eazzy-2/
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I like the idea of these expanding hoses but the ones I've bought before have never lasted and the cheap fittings have broken etc. Do not confuse this hose with a cheap market one. This is a quality hose with quality brass fittings. Not often I'm impressed with things these days but I'm certainly impressed with this. :thumbup: The actual spray attachment is a cheap one, but I have a decent one of those anyway.

www.t-hose.com

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:11 pm Image
Just bought a similar one, but it also has an oven proof probe that you can leave in the meat while it cooks & it beeps when it reaches whatever temp you set it for. This one:

Today I bought another cast iron skillet. This time the bigger 12in version... which is perfect as I also got a couple of recipe books that are designed to be concocted in a 12in skillet. The smaller one I've been using pretty much every day for the past week or so has already turned a very nice semi gloss black instead of the dark slate/gray look it had when new.

Skub

Post by Skub »

Front lift stand for the Abba. Very handy kit.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

This: Image

Noticed one of the headlights on the Merc had a bit of delamination cropping up, so bought said kit. 10 minutes per headlight, starting with the 800 and working up until you get to the pad and compound. Having it on a drill makes light work of it. Workes so well and was so easy I did the neighbour's son's Golf as his were far worse than mine and I'm just a nice guy. I wish I'd taken before and after photos, just so that I could bore people with them. :lol:

Only downside is there's a lot of spatter. Dustsheets over the engine and wings would have saved a fair bit of cleaning up.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Got my self this RST Evo R textile jacket https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rst- ... le-jacket/ £110 down from £190, I have been after a new jacket for a while, last year I ordered a Dainese Super speed 3 leather jacket and after a few rides hated it, not sure if it was slightly too big for me but the shoulders rose up and kept hitting the chin on my helmet, plus it felt quite long in the body and that did't help, so hated it and could not return it as I got a tiny scrape on the shoulder pad, anyways sold it and last week started looking for a new jacket, after ordering 3 jackets in various sizes settled on this one, first textile jacket in about 4 years and feels great, I've used and crashed in RST trousers before and have been fine (touch wood). its going to only be used for commuting so very happy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
A8D2BCBB-E2E3-4459-B4EB-55EDF150AF4F.jpeg
A8D2BCBB-E2E3-4459-B4EB-55EDF150AF4F.jpeg (361.17 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
CBR650r :mrgreen: