What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Today I got up late, went to the bakery for a pastry to go with the huge take out mug of coffee I'd made! Sat in the sun/cloud/sun for a bit reading a book. Then a friend met me and we walked his dog for a bit on the snow and sat chatting till the cloud cover made it too cold!!

Just heating a jacket spud to have with some smoked mackerel and then I'm gonna read, surf the net, chill for the rest of the day!! LOL

Potter wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:10 am Lot's of sailing.
Sitting in the cockpit with a coffee and watching the sun come up is something I'll never get bored with.

Not often I miss the sea and sailing from the top of a mountain that has snow and amazing views!!

But shots like that make me wish I could still go sailing :cry:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

48 hours after the covid shot. No side effects at all. Shoulder was a bit sore yesterday, but it's fine today. After the last flu shot* my shoulder was sore for 3 days.

* may have been shingles or pneumonia, had three shots last year.

From by back up FB acct (I'm in FB jail)
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:00 am
Bwana wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 am That just goes to show we're at the bottom of a steep learning curve. Duration of immunity for vaccines that are new is one of those "to be determined" kind of details.
I kinda figured it would be like flu shots & we'd get a new one every year. The current Pfizer covid shot is good for several strains, just as my last flu shot was good for 4. They won't be doing this lock down bullshit again though.
Unfortunately a significant portion of the population is reluctant to get vaccinated. They're the same tools that resist wearing masks. Until we get at least 80% of the population vaccinated we're still going to see outbreaks. That will fuck us all over and there will be costs to all of us, whether they come in the form of higher insurance premiums, or spreading the costs of treatment out to the tax payers. These will be long term expenses due to chronic illnesses. We'll also continue to see new strains proliferate at greater rates as the disease moves through the population.

The new strains concern me. Some strains may be controlled by current vaccines, others may not. New strains may precipitate further outbreaks.

My favorite arguments against vaccination are "I've already had the disease, so I don't need the shot" and the fear of microchip implantations.

The fact that immunity may fade and new strains develop counters the first.

Microchips that are implanted in dogs for identification are about the same diameter as a grain of rice. The needle to accommodate a microchip is fucking huge. Those microchips have no power source, so they're not going to transmit anything. The ones I use contain a 16 character ID, nothing more, nothing less. A scanner has to be held close to the chip to read it. What's really amusing is most people already carry a tracking device voluntarily.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bwana wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:20 pm Microchips that are implanted in dogs for identification are about the same diameter as a grain of rice. The needle to accommodate a microchip is fucking huge. Those microchips have no power source, so they're not going to transmit anything. The ones I use contain a 16 character ID, nothing more, nothing less. A scanner has to be held close to the chip to read it. What's really amusing is most people already carry a tracking device voluntarily.
The only part of the jab I felt was the guy putting a band aid on after he pulled the needle out, I actually asked if he had stabbed me as I didn't feel the needle at all. There was a downs syndrome kid who got stabbed just before me & he reacted as though he'd been been knifed by Crocodile Dundee.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:14 pm
Bwana wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:20 pm Microchips that are implanted in dogs for identification are about the same diameter as a grain of rice. The needle to accommodate a microchip is fucking huge. Those microchips have no power source, so they're not going to transmit anything. The ones I use contain a 16 character ID, nothing more, nothing less. A scanner has to be held close to the chip to read it. What's really amusing is most people already carry a tracking device voluntarily.
The only part of the jab I felt was the guy putting a band aid on after he pulled the needle out, I actually asked if he had stabbed me as I didn't feel the needle at all. There was a downs syndrome kid who got stabbed just before me & he reacted as though he'd been been knifed by Crocodile Dundee.
I never felt either of the two injections. About an hour after the first one I had minimal discomfort in the muscle (as in barely noticeable). It built up to a slightly more noticeable discomfort with a tiny bit of stiffness felt if I raised my hand straight up. When I woke up the next morning it was pretty well back to normal. The second one involved slightly more discomfort on about the same schedule, with the exception that there was some remaining the next morning for a while.

I think little kids are expecting pain so they react more. I may have mentioned this earlier, dad was a doctor and there were five of us little shits. Back in the 60s the philosophy was that if it'd been more than 6 months since your last tetanus jab, if you cut yourself on something dodgy, you needed another. Dad would get a vial of the toxoid anytime ONE of us cut ourselves and line the whole crew up for jabs. His philosophy was, the rest of you little shits will probably get cut soon so, roll up your sleeves and line up. I learned early on to look away and think about something I'd rather be doing. One of my brothers would watch in terror and scream bloody murder through the whole damn affair. You did not want to be the fucker that got cut and caused everyone else to have to line up for a jab. Dead meat. I fell against an old rusty barbwire fence one time and wore long sleeve shirts for the summer to hide the wound. It was worthy of suturing but I put a couple of bandaids over it and hid it with the shirt. No one ever questioned my choice of attire.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bwana wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:03 am I fell against an old rusty barbwire fence one time and wore long sleeve shirts for the summer to hide the wound. It was worthy of suturing but I put a couple of bandaids over it and hid it with the shirt. No one ever questioned my choice of attire.
I know the feeling...I was passenger on a CB400/4 that a mate stuffed under the armco on a rather nasty curve near Banbury many years ago. Picked ourselves up, got the bike from under the armco & set off to a hospital as we were bleeding a bit. Him much more than me. We found out from a local who stopped that a truck loaded with glass bottles had lost most of it's load on the same bend a couple of weeks before which explained all the glass we landed in.
Get to the Hospital & they start on him first. He was screaming blue murder while they scrubbed the wounds with peroxide & removed the glass. :shock:
My turn:
Nurse: Where are you hurt?
Me: "I'm fine, I just fell in some weeds" :)
Nurse: oh, ok, Just wait here for your friend
Me: Okee doke.

Was picking gravel & bits of glass out of my leg for a frigging month. :roll:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got up early, the first time since March the 17th last year, as today will be my first full day at work since then! :shock:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:54 am

Was picking gravel & bits of glass out of my leg for a frigging month. :roll:
That reminds me of rolling the pick up I trashed a few years ago. EMTs on the scene were talking to me and I was coherent and joking about the truck. "Ya've done a number on the truck. Looks to be totalled." "Naaaah, it'll buff out." I knew my shoulder was fucked but didn't know if anything else was damaged (I knew to sit still as I could have had a spinal injury and not known about it). One of them asked me if I had a headache at all. "Nope, feel fine." That was answered with "you're bleeding out your left ear." That got my fucking attention. Not a good sign. Sick feelings sunk in and seconds later he says, "oh, I see the problem" and plucks a bit of glass out of my ear hole. Sick feeling immediately goes away. The driver's side window had exploded and I got hit with shards of glass. After I left the ER I felt a stabbing pain in my hand. Bit of glass in the palm. Popped right out.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

busy day today

painted a door frame (not my speciality)
fitted some bling to the Grom
did some shedding until it over heated
cleaned the street triple
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just had a French lesson filled with lots of laughter!!

The teacher knew I had a date on Saturday so she asked me how it was, what he was like.

I said we had a good day and he was nice. At which point she literally threw back her head and howled with laughter!!! I wondered what I'd said wrong!!

Turns out that she took that to mean he was ugly (you know - the old, s/he's got a great character kind of comment!)!!!

We went on chatting and i had to learn some more words - there was no spark! (They say attraction here, but 'no spark' sounds a bit less harsh!)

But it was probably the most fun lesson I've had so far!

Oh - also got the words for famous and single mixed up (célèbre / célibataire) so that added another time of hilarity!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Noggin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:49 pm Just had a French lesson filled with lots of laughter!!

The teacher knew I had a date on Saturday so she asked me how it was, what he was like.

I said we had a good day and he was nice. At which point she literally threw back her head and howled with laughter!!! I wondered what I'd said wrong!!

Turns out that she took that to mean he was ugly (you know - the old, s/he's got a great character kind of comment!)!!!

We went on chatting and i had to learn some more words - there was no spark! (They say attraction here, but 'no spark' sounds a bit less harsh!)

Oh - also got the words for famous and single mixed up (célèbre / célibataire) so that added another time of hilarity!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be cautious, the French word for ugly is 'laid' :mrgreen:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:49 pm Just had a French lesson filled with lots of laughter!!

Be cautious, the French word for ugly is 'laid' :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I didn't learn that word!! LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Comedy cock ups in language are a great ice breaker. I once caused much hilarity in bar by asking for 'Succo di pesce' ('sh' sound at the end) as opposed to 'Succo di pesche' (hard 'k').

The reason for the mirth? I'd ordered the 'juice of a fish' rather than a peach juice. :oops:

T'was the start of a great evening.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

gremlin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm The reason for the mirth? I'd ordered the 'juice of a fish' rather than a peach juice. :oops:

I would have gone with fish juice, it's more manly than peach.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:20 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm The reason for the mirth? I'd ordered the 'juice of a fish' rather than a peach juice. :oops:

I would have gone with fish juice, it's more manly than peach.
Worst Bellini EVER!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

So this happened this morning, SEB is the Sheriff Dept version of SWAT:
211/417/459....area of 40th Street East and Avenue K....caller (security) states armed person broke into location, location is a large property with numerous metal buildings....sheriff enroute code 3
UPDATE: call taker states shots heard in background
UPDATE 2: caller states they fired shots back at DP
UPDATE 3: caller states there are three hostages
UPDATE 4: caller stating DP disconnected cameras unable to see any longer
UPDATE 5: Palmdale units enroute to assist
UPDATE 6: caller disconnected line, attempting to call back
UPDATE 7: DP described as a male black adult wearing dark clothing
UPDATE 8: deputies making callouts at house
UPDATE 9: possible suspect seen running from property
UPDATE 10: Lancaster deputies requesting more Palmdale units code 3 for containment spots
UPDATE 11: deputies advise two possible suspects came out of house
UPDATE 12: SEB enroute, command post being set up at Eastside High School
UPDATE 13: two suspects, unknown race both, both wearing black ski masks white new Chevy van unknown plate both possibly armed, demanded victim to open safe, property taken unknown at this time
UPDATE 14: caller advises he and three other workers are inside. Caller advises he isn't hurt, unknown about three others
UPDATE 15: additional person came out, appears to be cooperative, doesn't speak English.....person went back inside location now
UPDATE 16: caller states three hostages are two male Hispanics, and one male Russian
UPDATE 17: male now back outside and is cooperative, possibly doesn't speak english....deputies making contact and detaining now
UPDATE 18: all victims and security are accounted for and safe.....waiting on SEB response to show up from around county (7:30am)
UPDATE 19: expect road closures in immediate area
UPDATE 20: SEB now on scene, preparing to start clearing property and buildings
UPDATE 21: SEB still clearing buildings at scene (10:45 am)
UPDATE 22: SEB has cleared property and buildings, all road closures being picked up (12:25 pm)
UPDATE 23: no suspects located at premises
At the same time that all started to go down, this happened:
245GSV....Palmdale Regional Hospital....victim with gunshot wound to chest was just dropped off....sheriff enroute code 3
UPDATE: victim was shot four times, occured at unknown place and unknown time....deputies attempting to ascertain further
UPDATE 2: deputies following AMR code 3 to AVH with victim
This was the response at the first location, it's a known grow house operation.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm Comedy cock ups in language are a great ice breaker. I once caused much hilarity in bar by asking for 'Succo di pesce' ('sh' sound at the end) as opposed to 'Succo di pesche' (hard 'k').

The reason for the mirth? I'd ordered the 'juice of a fish' rather than a peach juice. :oops:

I've made a few errors in the last six months - in physio is the worst!!! Neck and ass sound 'almost the same - cou & cul. Hey ho!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I'm more confident I'm happy to laugh with them and try to remember for next time!! LOL :lol: :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've not done much today. My physio has had to go to Brittany for family reasons so yesterday I had to try and get appointments with my 'back up' in the valley, starting today. Thought I'd succeeded but it turns out i'm seeing yet another one. I'm sort of ok with that but not overly happy. So watched a film this morning then had a shower

Whilst in the shower I missed a call - normally they are telesales but this one left a message

I am now a very very very VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY Happy Smixxy!!!

Dublin is still in Tier 5 so no one is in the offices processing applications for foreign birth certificates. So, my application and my Deed Poll (of which there is only one and it is not possible to get a duplicate :o ) have been in Dublin since January (I posted to the Irish Embassy in Paris in November)

BUT - today someone physically went to the office and contacted someone in Paris about something else. She remembered a conversation we'd had because I needed my deed poll for something else (virtually no one will accept copies - part of the reason my original application wasn't processed). She actually asked the guy to dig out my file. He said that it was jumping the queue and she said, please do it anyway!!!

Then phoned me to confirm my address hasn't changed

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

I want to dance, cry, celebrate and hug someone.

Ok, it could be a couple of weeks before the certificate of foreign birth arrives with me. And I can't make the application for a passport for a few months. But I will be able to!!!

My Dad and my Grannie will be sat on (or under) their clouds cheering for me!! I'm cheering for me!!

It's not 100% necessary because I have applied for (and should get) a Titre de Sejour here which is the right to residency. But the passport just gives a bit more back up and I can use that (when I get it) on all the business/bank etc information so they don't look at docs and see 'Brit'

:obscene-drinkingcheers: :banana-dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :banana-dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :banana-dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Off to physio in about 40 mins but will stop at a friend's on the way back for a huge mug of tea and maybe a small shot to celebrate! Once I'm home, I'll go out and watch the sun set and cheer my Irish family!!!!! :angelic-green: :angelic-green: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I might try and nick an oirsh passport, as I'm sure my granny was born in NI (although hellishly difficult to track down a Smith), partly to wave as a proud flag of EU rights retention, but mainly to annoy my proper oirish mate.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:36 am Dublin is still in Tier 5 so no one is in the offices processing applications for foreign birth certificates. So, my application and my Deed Poll (of which there is only one and it is not possible to get a duplicate :o ) have been in Dublin since January (I posted to the Irish Embassy in Paris in November)
I don't get the fuss about these, they aren't official documents and if you lose it just filll out another. You can have them notorised to give a bit more clout but it is still no more official than a scribble on the back of a fag packet.