The Super Mario Effect - Tricking Your Brain into Learning More | Mark Rober | TEDxPenn

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Horse

The Super Mario Effect - Tricking Your Brain into Learning More | Mark Rober | TEDxPenn

Post by Horse »

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowsider

Re: The Super Mario Effect - Tricking Your Brain into Learning More | Mark Rober | TEDxPenn

Post by slowsider »

Interesting how once he had the 'perfect' bullseye, the prospect of 'failure' (to match it or repeat it) loomed large.
Horse

Re: The Super Mario Effect - Tricking Your Brain into Learning More | Mark Rober | TEDxPenn

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:44 pm Interesting how once he had the 'perfect' bullseye, the prospect of 'failure' (to match it or repeat it) loomed large.
If you're at the peak, there are only two options: maintain or deteriorate. Can perfection be maintained?

For example, although I've not done a great deal of it, I have never missed when clay pigeon shooting, I have a 100% hit record.

Ok, the truth is that I had one go with a double-barrelled shotgun, hit both clays. Gun owner asked whether I'd like another go? I said no, as I would most likely miss, so I could retain that 100% score ;)
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Forty years ago in Osterley Park I had a sprint race with my brother and my Dad. I won. My Dad said don't ever race us again as then you can always say "The last time we had a race I won".

The record still stands. My Mum took the photo. It's been scanned and screenshoted so lacks quality.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20210111-170852_Facebook.jpg
SmartSelect_20210111-170852_Facebook.jpg (372.65 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Last edited by Trinity765 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pmI won, quality.
Sorted :)
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 pm
I've just got home and watched the video, that's Mark Rober of Squirrel Ninja Wars and Glitter Bomb fame (I'm a subscriber) :thumbup:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:58 pm
slowsider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:44 pm Interesting how once he had the 'perfect' bullseye, the prospect of 'failure' (to match it or repeat it) loomed large.
If you're at the peak, there are only two options: maintain or deteriorate. Can perfection be maintained?

For example, although I've not done a great deal of it, I have never missed when clay pigeon shooting, I have a 100% hit record.

Ok, the truth is that I had one go with a double-barrelled shotgun, hit both clays. Gun owner asked whether I'd like another go? I said no, as I would most likely miss, so I could retain that 100% score ;)
Not quite 'peak' then. :hmmm:
Are you offering the video for those who don't have beginners luck? :)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm Forty years ago in Osterley Park I had a sprint race with my brother and my Dad. I won. My Dad said don't ever race us again as then you can always say "The last time we had a race I won".

The record still stands. My Mum took the photo. It's been scanned and screenshoted so lacks quality.
He didn't want to be beaten by a gurl again, and you fell for it :mrgreen:
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:27 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:58 pm I had one go with a double-barrelled shotgun, hit both clays. Gun owner asked whether I'd like another go? I said no, as I would most likely miss, so I could retain that 100% score ;)
... beginners luck? :)
If I'd said that I missed both clays, you could quite fairly have said 'no skill' etc.

But I hit both. No recognition of skill or talent, instead you attribute it to 'luck'. How unfair and judgemental.

:D
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:11 am
slowsider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:27 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:58 pm I had one go with a double-barrelled shotgun, hit both clays. Gun owner asked whether I'd like another go? I said no, as I would most likely miss, so I could retain that 100% score ;)
... beginners luck? :)
If I'd said that I missed both clays, you could quite fairly have said 'no skill' etc.

But I hit both. No recognition of skill or talent, instead you attribute it to 'luck'. How unfair and judgemental.

:D
Statistically you had a 1 in 2 chance of hitting it, but you assessed that you would 'most likely' miss - worse than chance. Who am I to disagree with your own recognition of your skill and talent ? :dunno: :1
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:45 am Statistically you had a 1 in 2 chance of hitting it, but you assessed that you would 'most likely' miss - worse than chance. Who am I to disagree with your own recognition of your skill and talent ? :dunno: :1
Not really '1 in 2' if you consider the size of the sky, the shot pattern, and the size of the clay.

More 1 'hit' and many, many, more 'miss' opportunities.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:10 am
slowsider wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:45 am Statistically you had a 1 in 2 chance of hitting it, but you assessed that you would 'most likely' miss - worse than chance. Who am I to disagree with your own recognition of your skill and talent ? :dunno: :1
Not really '1 in 2' if you consider the size of the sky, the shot pattern, and the size of the clay.

You can reduce some of those opportunities by facing in the right direction :mrgreen:
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:10 am
slowsider wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:45 am Statistically you had a 1 in 2 chance of hitting it

You can reduce some of those opportunities ...
Go on then, explain how to reduce (ie improve) the opportunities for each shot from a 1 in 2 chance while retaining the 'miss' option.

Perhaps you meant an either/or outcome? I'm not sure that even well-intentioned amateur shots towards the clays would have resulted in a 50% hit rate in the same 'statistical' way that a series of coin tosses should each have a 1 in 2 chance of each being head or tail.