Lines of Sight

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
The Spin Doctor

Lines of Sight

Post by The Spin Doctor »

03 Hazards.jpg
03 Hazards.jpg (911.77 KiB) Viewed 591 times
For the RTTL missive... looking for feedback on the concept / execution etc.

And of course 'see and BE SEEN' might just be a new idea to a few readers :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Re: Lines of Sight

Post by Horse »

I like the format, with its - intentional, I'm sure - retro feel. Is there enough there (or do you intend a second part) towards 'do this ... ' or summary reminders?

Also, where / how do you anticipate it being used / displayed?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

The message is clear, looks good.
Not sure about the top pictures, the first van has a poor line of sight so unless the driver leans forwards he can only see the right hand lane and his mirrors are no good there.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

You need to be a bloody sight more blatant about what "line of sight" means and is. Actually showing what the driver is seeing for example.
WE know what it means, but we've had time to think about it.
Each scene needs to show what the biker sees, AND what the driver is seeing, maybe with comical lines and overshadows on the views.
non quod, sed quomodo
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

The message I get from the first 2 pics especially is that the van driver HAS seen and responded appropriately to me on my approaching bike. Is that what you intended? The message I want is that he hasn't, iyswim. I like the "style" otherwise.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Facetious comments: 2nd pick, van seems to be (illegally) parked on a pavement, with no sign he intends to move off. Also "nearly missed that bike" might be open to misinterpretation. Or is the bike actually underneath the van? :D
The Spin Doctor

Thanks for the feedback all.

In answer to some of the points:

- they are intended to stand alone, but perhaps a short text summary at the bottom is needed to hammer the point home - in this case, I was trying to suggest that lines of sight are two-way - that the driver has to be ABLE to see the bike before he / she CAN be aware it's there.

- I am limited by what I can pull from the camera - I don't actually think the first van driver has a poor line of sight at all - not compared with the second van (where the rider is only visible via the mirror) or the cars (where the driver is reversion blind). He just has to turn his head. I think we have to be realistic here. If I had necessary cartoon skills I could draw the driver looking out the window but I don't.

- the reverse view idea is good, but again I'm limited by what I can film. I don't have video production facilities, I can't set up multiple view via multiple cameras. Which is why I'm trying to keep the message simple. I suppose a diagram might work, but once more my graphics skills aren't great.

- I think Sorry Mate I Didn't See You has been done to death. We KNOW drivers don't see us, the problem is explaining WHY drivers don't see us. Lines-of-sight are just one factor.

- Van on pavement - of COURSE it's on the pavement. It's a VAN! You should have come out with me on some of my van courier jobs! And do you NEED a sign that it's about to move off, in order to know that it COULD move off at any moment? I could have written "by golly, I almost failed to observe that bike" but I was trying to keep language accessible.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:39 am Thanks for the feedback all.

In answer to some of the points:

- they are intended to stand alone, but perhaps a short text summary at the bottom is needed to hammer the point home - in this case, I was trying to suggest that lines of sight are two-way - that the driver has to be ABLE to see the bike before he / she CAN be aware it's there.

- I am limited by what I can pull from the camera - I don't actually think the first van driver has a poor line of sight at all - not compared with the second van (where the rider is only visible via the mirror) or the cars (where the driver is reversion blind). He just has to turn his head. I think we have to be realistic here. If I had necessary cartoon skills I could draw the driver looking out the window but I don't.

- the reverse view idea is good, but again I'm limited by what I can film. I don't have video production facilities, I can't set up multiple view via multiple cameras. Which is why I'm trying to keep the message simple. I suppose a diagram might work, but once more my graphics skills aren't great.

- I think Sorry Mate I Didn't See You has been done to death. We KNOW drivers don't see us, the problem is explaining WHY drivers don't see us. Lines-of-sight are just one factor.

- Van on pavement - of COURSE it's on the pavement. It's a VAN! You should have come out with me on some of my van courier jobs! And do you NEED a sign that it's about to move off, in order to know that it COULD move off at any moment? I could have written "by golly, I almost failed to observe that bike" but I was trying to keep language accessible.
Borrow a van and a mate for a day and get the photos you need.

Actually - you appear to have access to a van aready? Just need a mate to ride past a few times while you film from the van to get the stills you want.

You don't have to do EVERYTHING yourself....
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

To be honest it's TIME. It's surprisingly difficult to set things like that up if you're not an expert. I tried years ago, when I was running a CBT/DAS school with a mate. I had the bright idea of producing some videos to help with the training and my partner thought it was a good idea. We enlisted a couple of mates to ride bikes. Several days later, we had next to nothing useable. You need someone who knows how to ride (or do it yourself in which case you need someone who knows where you want the camera pointed. I tried both methods!

Even selecting 45 seconds or so of video for the 60 Second Safety vids requires trawling through my hours and hours of on-bike video.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm To be honest it's TIME. It's surprisingly difficult to set things like that up if you're not an expert. I tried years ago, when I was running a CBT/DAS school with a mate. I had the bright idea of producing some videos to help with the training and my partner thought it was a good idea. We enlisted a couple of mates to ride bikes. Several days later, we had next to nothing useable. You need someone who knows how to ride (or do it yourself in which case you need someone who knows where you want the camera pointed. I tried both methods!

Even selecting 45 seconds or so of video for the 60 Second Safety vids requires trawling through my hours and hours of on-bike video.
Yup.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Even for what seems to be ad hoc, off the cuff, stuff, it really needs storyboarding etc and careful logging of shots and sequences.

Incredibly time consuming.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: