The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by v8-powered »

Potter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:49 pm I've had it a while and I wasn't going to post here about it because it's not a watch forum and some take it the wrong way, but I'm particularly happy with this photo and the effects.
It's a Patek 5712g.

Thats pretty stunning to be fair, worth a few Panigale's :thumbup:
moth

Post by moth »

Potter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:26 pm Tudor site has crashed but I got a text with some new Daytona style panda models and a BB58 in solid yellow gold on a black leather strap.
Looks like Tudor has pretty significantly upstaged Rolex.

Whooooo
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Potter

Post by Potter »

moth wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:26 pm Tudor site has crashed but I got a text with some new Daytona style panda models and a BB58 in solid yellow gold on a black leather strap.
Looks like Tudor has pretty significantly upstaged Rolex.

Whooooo
My thoughts too - although I hear that it's something like 14mm thick, which would put me off, but that's only a personal preference for slim watches.
Looks nice though, so does the opposite Panda.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Just had a browse at the 2021 Tudor models, nothing that really jumps out at me however do quite like the BB bronze and BB58 with the taupe dial.

Contacted my local AD and have been added to the register of interest for an Explorer II, see how long that takes.....
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:56 pm
Contacted my local AD and have been added to the register of interest for an Explorer II, see how long that takes.....
I think it could go either way - I'm in a huff because I was hoping for a completely new one with green GMT hand and something exciting on the bezel like lume numbers or something. Rolex hyped the new release and it'll either catch or they've just rang it's death knell because they overhyped it and it's turned people off when they basically just left it the same.

I think the former, there is still a lot of mileage in the Rolex stainless sports watches for many people who are fairly new to them, but it has given a lot of people the hump that have an Exp2 already and were hoping for something new.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Just seen pictures of the new Tudor BB58 925.
I really like it, the solid silver case looks quite different from stainless steel. I could definitely see myself wearing one of those.
Don't know about the price but I would wager that it's a pretty sensible purchase in terms of minimal loss (and probably potential gain) if you sold it in the future.
Cheaper and nicer than a Rolex Sub anyway.

Picture nicked from t'internet and article from Hodinkee.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tudor ... ntroducing
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

This seems the right place to ask summat that got me thinking.

In the olden days before fancy measuring stuff, how did they measure the tiny stuff in watches ?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 pm This seems the right place to ask summat that got me thinking.

In the olden days before fancy measuring stuff, how did they measure the tiny stuff in watches ?
I think the measuring device must have come before the complicated tiny mechanical pieces in a watch.
If you haven't got the skills to make a measuring device then you're not going to have the skills to make a small mechanical part.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:41 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 pm This seems the right place to ask summat that got me thinking.

I think the measuring device must have come before the complicated tiny mechanical pieces in a watch.
If you haven't got the skills to make a measuring device then you're not going to have the skills to make a small mechanical part.
How did they measure the stuff in the measuring device?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 pm How did they measure the stuff in the measuring device?
Trial and error, make the pieces to fit each other.
If you fancy losing a week or 3 I suggest watching this guys video's on old skool making small stuff;
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsK ... 6-BnIjS2MA
moth

Post by moth »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am Just seen pictures of the new Tudor BB58 925.
I really like it, the solid silver case looks quite different from stainless steel. I could definitely see myself wearing one of those.
Don't know about the price but I would wager that it's a pretty sensible purchase in terms of minimal loss (and probably potential gain) if you sold it in the future.
Cheaper and nicer than a Rolex Sub anyway.
You have to wonder where Rolex/Tudor are going with the 18 carat gold BB58. £12,600 is well into Rolex territory.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

moth wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:28 pm
You have to wonder where Rolex/Tudor are going with the 18 carat gold BB58. £12,600 is well into Rolex territory.
My guess would be that Tudor want to claim the stratosphere, whilst Rolex concentrate on the ionosphere.

Don't expect too many new stainless Rolex models, expect more gold/platinum stuff. Of course in order to maintain the profit Tudor prices will climb to Rolex levels, probably over a decade or so.

That's what I would do if I were Mr Rolex.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
moth

Post by moth »

I'll be hanging on to my BB then :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

There is speculation that Rolex want to move into only precious metal pieces because there is more margin there, plus it's (arguably) more prestigious.

The BB 18k gold is a couple of things in my mind, it's a throwback to old school Rolex precious metal Subs (which are lovely and very popular) and it's at a price point that is around what people are happily paying for Rolex stainless GMTs, so the money is there. It's also pushing up the prestige of Tudor, they've raised the bar on their top end models hoping it pulls up the lower ones and the brand overall.

Anyone buying one now is probably hoping it all shifts that way and they're early adopters.

Rolex basically took a back step this year, I think they purposely shifted the light to Tudor with some tasty releases and so far it seems to be working, people are moaning about Rolex and looking at Tudor. I think Tudor will start to take off this year, then Rolex will step forward again in 2022 and push their range up, dropping some lower end ones.
At that point they have a £3-15k brand range in Tudor and a £15k+ range in Rolex to try and stay on Pateks heels.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

And all done without flooding the market with Rolex, which would piss off those who have bought at inflated prices second-hand.

Mr Rolex did not get where he is by being stupid.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Chicken and egg.

Much of the tiny measuring stuff etc. was invented for watches and clocks. 300 years ago an accurate clock was a major strategic asset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison?wprov=sfla1
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:50 pm How did they measure the stuff in the measuring device?
Trial and error, make the pieces to fit each other.
If you fancy losing a week or 3 I suggest watching this guys video's on old skool making small stuff;
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsK ... 6-BnIjS2MA
Another good one is the "Origin of Precision" series on YouTube.

Its a good question though...how do you make a ruler when you have no other rulers? Believe it or not, everything starts with being able to make a completely flat surface. To do that you use Whitworth's 3 plate method which allows you to create a flat surface from 'nothing'.

After that you incrementally work your way up to steadily finer levels of accuracy until you arrive at today.

I can imagine some of you lot would get a kick out of this book.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 3cuDoybG6P

Potter

Post by Potter »

Saw one of these earlier, I really liked the look of it. https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.u ... p/17601095
I think there would be a discount off that price too.

Also liked this...
(dunno what the cost is, I didn't ask)

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Went in and had a look at the Tudor BB 925 range today, I like the leather strapped one but not sure if I Iike enough to drop my cash for it. Think I'll drop the cash on a Speedmaster instead.

Need to take a trip to see the Rolex AD as seems to think can get me an Explorer II relatively quickly but see at happens when I get there....
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:22 pm Went in and had a look at the Tudor BB 925 range today, I like the leather strapped one but not sure if I Iike enough to drop my cash for it. Think I'll drop the cash on a Speedmaster instead.

Need to take a trip to see the Rolex AD as seems to think can get me an Explorer II relatively quickly but see at happens when I get there....
The Exp2 is a nice watch, I think it's the nicest GMT, I'm not as keen on the way they've done the hands on the new black version, but that's just personal taste. The white version looks as good as always.

If you can get one then it's a no brainer really, they're properly nice watches and look way better on the wrist than they do in the box, plus you don't see many people wearing them so they're not so common either. They're currently trading second hand at above 50% premium on retail and I can't see that changing any time soon, buy at £6.5k and sell at £10k if you end up not liking it as much as you thought. Not a difficult choice is it.