What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

cheb wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:30 pm From drinking Austrian white wine?

Added: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

It's a food additive and used in e-cigarette liquids, and much more.
if you've ever eaten anything squeezed through a machine at some point (burgers, butter/marge, canned food), you've consumed it. The cloud of *smoke* from vapers is propylene glycol
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

It’s snowing!!! Spring sprang but winters hanging on!! 🤣🤣🤣
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Yesterday evening I cancelled a Welsh trip for 22 people that was initially planned in 2019. I'm gutted to have had to do it when so many people have stuck with me and there was still a lot of hope. The trip would have had to have been compliant by both England and Wales rules and there is as yet, no date given by the Welsh government for when different households can share accommodation. I got a fabulous deal on the accommodation which was also hard to let go of. It worked out at £25 per person per night (sharing) including a lock up for the bikes, jacuzzi, sauna and lots of mod cons in the centre of Rhayader, mid Wales :cry: I also have concerns that there will be an increase in traffic this year in places like Wales and Yorkshire. A gentlemen I travelled with last Autumn said that there was a 20% increase in traffic in these areas due to people having local holidays so I would expect it to be the same this summer (if not more).

I woke up a couple of times during the night feeling bad about it but I know it was the right decision giving everyone their freedom back and I'll be looking to book a trip to Wales on my own or with a friend as soon as the rules allow.
Lockdown refugee
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:54 am Yesterday evening I cancelled a Welsh trip for 22 people that was initially planned in 2019. I'm gutted to have had to do it when so many people have stuck with me and there was still a lot of hope. The trip would have had to have been compliant by both England and Wales rules and there is as yet, no date given by the Welsh government for when different households can share accommodation. I got a fabulous deal on the accommodation which was also hard to let go of. It worked out at £25 per person per night (sharing) including a lock up for the bikes, jacuzzi, sauna and lots of mod cons in the centre of Rhayader, mid Wales :cry: I also have concerns that there will be an increase in traffic this year in places like Wales and Yorkshire. A gentlemen I travelled with last Autumn said that there was a 20% increase in traffic in these areas due to people having local holidays so I would expect it to be the same this summer (if not more).

I woke up a couple of times during the night feeling bad about it but I know it was the right decision giving everyone their freedom back and I'll be looking to book a trip to Wales on my own or with a friend as soon as the rules allow.
I feel your pain, our POrtimao trip is going down the pan, slowly, but it's on it's way down the slippery slope. It's looking like only a matter of time now. In a way it'll be a relief though as i'm currently waiting on other 'plans' i can or cannot make, but with Portimao getting in the way, all of these are on hold at the moment, either from a time/date context or even a financial context as shelling out for Portimao is a big chunk of cash.

You've got to do what's right for you, not for anyone else, just you. That's all you've got.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Fuck, that is horrible news.
Sincere condolences to you Skub
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

@Skub ah man that's shit. Condolences to you and your family
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Woke up to it snowing. I love snow but had to drive a car to the valley and it didn't come with chains!! LOL But, only 3 inches of snow, and it was clear/melted from a few corners down

Broke my best mug, but that's being replaced :D

Then in school I told the teacher that it had snowed 3 inches over night in resort - he held his hand up and sort of measured against his thumb (thumb and inch are the same word in French) and said Trois puces?? I laughed and said, well, you're a man, but an inch is smaller!! He responded with an inch is 25mm - but the distance he was holding his fingers apart was way more than three inches!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I soooo wish there was another girl in the class, or someone with my stupid sense of humour!! :lol: :lol:

Got home and it's sunny and snowing!! LOL

Oh - and the best bit so far today - my French teacher said my level (language, not humour!) is B1. :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: (The humour is roughly sewer level!!)

That's pretty damned good and means that a job I want is now attainable (they want a minimum of B1 language skills!) :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Watched as a guy driving a pick up on the freeway lost an empty 50gal plastic barrel out the bed which bounced/rolled across 3 of the 4 lanes causing people to brake & swerve all over the place as I hurtled past in the one clear lane :shock:
There was that instant mental calculus deal where I realized I wasn't going to be hit by the barrel or any of the other vehicles so I didn't even lift off the gas. There was absolute fucking chaos behind me when I looked in the mirror though 8-)
My only thought was "bollocks, left the action cam at home" so no video :(
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Skub wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm A stream of consciousness download. Just putting thoughts in order.
So very sorry to hear that Skub. My thoughts are with you and those close to him. :(
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

been for a cycle and started to sort insurance for new bike
CBR650r :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've been having a few issues with my eyes lately, well, i say eyes, as some may know, my left one is mostly useless anyway. Being born 9 weeks premature i had a 'lazy eye' from birth which was never fixed, so my left one doesn't really do much, i have vision, but not much in it at all. Sitting at the laptop i can just about read the logo top left of the forum. That's it... BUt that can't be fixed either by glasses or by surgery sadly. (But does bring about other discussions potentially about riding MTB/motorbikes and depth perception)

Anyway, i've been noticing more and more that things like number plates on cars, TV screen menu on Sky+ and road sign text etc are getting trickier and trickier, the last straw being MotoGP who seem to have shrunk their names/numbers on the left and it's mostly pointless being there. So went for an eye test yesterday, which brought me to the conclusion that whilst it's not a legal requirement i could actually benefit from glasses at times. Like all the times above actually. LOL.

So a pair of prescription Oakley Lightbeam are being created and winging their way to me as we speak.

I'll be interested how they seem out in the wild as the difference was fairly pronounced on the little screen, even though my biggest number is a -1. I'm slightly troubled by the thought of being even more incompetent than before in the world, but hey, that's old age for you :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

For scale....I wear glasses all the time and I'm 0.25 in one eye and 0.75 in the other. Nothing basically. But I still wear 'em all the time and I notice when I don't have them on (besides the obvious "not having something balanced on your nose").

I reckon you'll see quite a difference, if you'll excuse the pun.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Too much wanking innit.

I'm -3.00 and -3.75 iirc.

Can't see fuck all without the gigs on.
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:02 am ... TV screen menu on Sky+ and road sign text etc are getting trickier and trickier, the last straw being MotoGP who seem to have shrunk
I had my first specs aged about 10. Went home, then could read the credits at the end of tv programmes.

When you say being sent to you, have you bought from an online seller? ie No option for getting them fitted. Sometimes, the 'behind the ear' part of the arm can be uncomfortable depending on shape of your skull, etc. If so, warm the end with a hairdryer and you can form them slightly.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:02 am ... TV screen menu on Sky+ and road sign text etc are getting trickier and trickier, the last straw being MotoGP who seem to have shrunk
I had my first specs aged about 10. Went home, then could read the credits at the end of tv programmes.

When you say being sent to you, have you bought from an online seller? ie No option for getting them fitted. Sometimes, the 'behind the ear' part of the arm can be uncomfortable depending on shape of your skull, etc. If so, warm the end with a hairdryer and you can form them slightly.
I picked them after a lot of checking and they're as closely based to my day to day sunglasses as it's possible to find, which are a very similar model of Oakley. So i'm thinking/hoping they'll fit a treat. All the measurements put them very very close. I didn't feel that doing the optician store at the moment and trying on 50 pairs of glasses was the right thing under the current Covid stuff.
You can also return frames within 30 days for a different pair, which slightly confuses me lol as you've fitted lenses, but they don't refund/replace the lenses within the costs, only the frames. So under the current restrictions of the world i thought it worth risking it.

I also went for the semi-fancy reactive lenses as if i use them for driving then i'll need to have a bit of help with the sun, but depending on how they perform i may obviously need a proper pair of sunglasses version in the none too distant future, but i think i'll just be able to order lenses for that, or if not then i'll certainly be able to order my usual Oakley Fuel Cell but with prescription version of the sunglasses.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

There are many who will tell you that once you start wearing glasses your eyes start to deteriorate quicker. Personally, although I have started wearing them for driving, mainly at night, I would agree, though I suspect it's just that you suddenly realise how much you couldn't see when you didn't have them that makes you think your eyes are getting worse. when you don't wear them...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My prescription hasn't changed in about 5 years... I have 10 pairs of glasses (get 2 free pairs a year through my health insurance) with the same prescription.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:38 pm My prescription hasn't changed in about 5 years... I have 10 pairs of glasses (get 2 free pairs a year through my health insurance) with the same prescription.
Hmmm that's interesting. May check my policy there
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:38 pm My prescription hasn't changed in about 5 years... I have 10 pairs of glasses (get 2 free pairs a year through my health insurance) with the same prescription.
Hmmm that's interesting. May check my policy there
If you use a VDU for more than a certain fraction of your work day your employer will pay for your tests too. I think it's about 50% but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say an IT bod meets the minimum requirement.
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:32 pm There are many who will tell you that once you start wearing glasses your eyes start to deteriorate quicker.
I've never heard that before :)

From about age 40, eyes deteriorate. The lens hardens, so won't adjust for close-up, hence reading glasses. From 60 on, peripheral vision gradually goes. However, from mid-50s short sight doesn't usually deteriorate further.

This was a public information message from Cheery Bastid :)

I've had the same prescription varifocals for 6 years.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: