Choosing tyres

Anything you like about motorbikes
cheb

Choosing tyres

Post by cheb »

I need some more road biased tyres for the DT200R, it currently has MX tyres on it.

I'm completely open as the brand so opinions would be useful, the more prejudiced and ill informed the better. Had a single bad experience with a brand in the 1970s and refuse to buy them ever again? Tell me about it.

Also suppliers who will post to Scottish Islands. I'm a bit peeved at selecting all the options, getting a price, clicking the buy button and then having the order bounced or being quoted ridiculous P&P costs.

The current winners are Heidenau K60 Scouts. They are cheap and I can get them easily. I haven't found any really bad reviews after a desultory search. Anyone on here tried them?
KungFooBob

Re: Choosing tyres

Post by KungFooBob »

I had some Bridgestone Deathwings on a DR250, I used to ride around the outside of people with their knees down on the local magic roundabout. They were shit off road.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

You have all the good bikes!

FWIW the XL has Continental TKC 70 Twinduros on and they seem great on the road for such a knobbly tyre. They look the part too. Off road bikes with very road biased tyres look a bit neutered IMO. When I did the press launch of the R1150GS Adventure many years ago they were on these tyres too and they worked well off road and were panniers down good on the road also.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

My DRZ400S came with Trailwings when it was new, they were actually good on tarmac, I could easily keep up with people on sports bikes round corners, with a bit of effort you could scrape the footpegs.
Honda Owner
cheb

Post by cheb »

A pair of TKC70s have been ordered via a well known auction site.

I tried the various tyre sites, blackcircles and similar, and they were all fairly unhelpful. There seemed to me to be no way of searching for all tyres of a rim size, nor could I search for pairs of tyres.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I was pleasantly surprised by the Conti Trail Attacks I had on the Varadero, they warmed up quick and had plenty of grip.

The front wore really oddly tho'
cheb

Post by cheb »

And they've arrived today. Which is nice.
cheb

Post by cheb »

And they are part fitted, the front is done but the valve on the rear tube is damaged, probably by me.

Also they are both marked front in the rotation arrow. That doesn't bother me, it's only a small bike, but I shall ask questions of the seller.