sheds I have known.

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
chillitt

sheds I have known.

Post by chillitt »

Suddenly realised I have posted any of my heaps erm projects here. There was progress today so to celebrate, breathe this in..
ZX6r was unhappy after a winter in the damp shed. It ran last year to varying degrees, got new tyres and chain and sprocket but didnt quite make on the road. Today I found this
The wire fell off as I took the switch gear off the bar. there had been a quite long winded process of elimination to find the fault. Just need to put it back together now.
Then if I'm ever allowed out, its off for an MOT.
chillitt

Re: sheds I have known.

Post by chillitt »

Put the tank and airbox back on, charged the battery and it ran, but rough. Tried again after cutting the grass and it started, ran better for ten seconds, then died, now no neutral light, oil light, or starter. Thrown the cover back over it. Bloody thing.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

What year is the bike? I'll have a look through the wiring diagram to see if there's something common to the neutral light, oil light and starter if you like.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Its a 99 G but dont worry I have a mate who has spent the last week learning the wiring so we could work out why the spark had vanished and he's already on the case. :D
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

chillitt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:57 pm Its a 99 G but dont worry I have a mate who has spent the last week learning the wiring so we could work out why the spark had vanished and he's already on the case. :D
Ok, fair enough.

But for what it's worth, there's probably no power on the Light Green wire. Maybe a diode has failed in the junction box?
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Soon as it crapped out with a new fault straight after fixing the last one, I just threw the cover over it and put the kettle on. That sounds about right though, or maybe an earth somewhere. Job for tomorrow.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Another day spent chasing intermittent faults round it. Finally ground to a halt as the igniter appears to be fritzed. If it was any other ZX6R I'd have stripped it by now and used the wheels and forks on the 900R...
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

chillitt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 pm Another day spent chasing intermittent faults round it. Finally ground to a halt as the igniter appears to be fritzed. If it was any other ZX6R I'd have stripped it by now and used the wheels and forks on the 900R...
Good to see Black Beauty is still about!
non quod, sed quomodo
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Rockburner wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:34 pm
chillitt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 pm Another day spent chasing intermittent faults round it. Finally ground to a halt as the igniter appears to be fritzed. If it was any other ZX6R I'd have stripped it by now and used the wheels and forks on the 900R...
Good to see Black Beauty is still about!
Damn thing should have been screwed to a clubhouse wall years ago. Stupid idea to try and fix it... ;)
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Its running better but still not entirely right and needs the carbs off because I am rubbish at cleaning carbs. So rather than do that, I've recovered both seats. the old covers had got brittle and were starting to split. I am surprised to say they look pretty good. So surprised I forgot to take a pic so you will have to take my word for it..
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Carbs have been off again, cleaned and checked some more, three little niggles sorted, still wont run right. I'm starting to think maybe one of the people with fond memories of 'Black Beauty' should take it on..
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

inewham wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:11 pm Without hearing it run... is it definitely a carb problem? could it be coils or maybe a valve clearance closed up so its losing compression on one pot?
It had a duff coil and ignitor, now sorted along with new plugs. It starts ok but doesnt run smooth at low revs, and holds revs when blipped. Seems to clear its throat abve 4,000 revs. Running on four going by warm exhausts. All the symptoms seem to point to pilots but they are clean and set right.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

inewham wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:40 pm Another thought is an air leak on the induction side, are the caps on the rubber spouts for the vacuum gauges in good nick? I've had one of those turn to crumbly cheese. At that age the rubbers could even be cracked.

I've heard of people testing for leaks with a squirt of easy start but that sounds like a fire waiting to happen to me. Maybe a squirt of WD40 around the rubbers to see if the revs change
Inlet rubbers look good, vaccuum pick ups also look good. Against all the odds... Ive not tried the spray something volatile about, but only because Ive run out... There have been times when not having any was a good thing... :lol:
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Having failed to sort the carbs, a mate 'volunteered' to take them away for a tinker and bought them back yesterday. I think its safe to say the carbs are now fixed, as the fuel pump decided to throw a track. Ive never seen the seem on a fuel pump just give up. Its clean, rust free, and all of a sudden pumps the fuel out the side rather than up the pipe.
Every single time I fix something on this bike, something else packs up.