New Bike Day - CP3!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
bevvo

Re: New Bike Day - CP3!

Post by bevvo »

Right I ticked off a few jobs over the weekend.

The ECU came back from the tweakers so while I was under the tank, a new air filter. The manual says replace every 24000 miles but look at the state of it after just 5k. Can that be right?

ImageIMG_20210313_153202218
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Also blanked off the O2 sensor which is now deactivated.

ImageIMG_20210313_162614004

And the whole bike:

ImageIMG_20210314_130950417_HDR
Skub

Post by Skub »

What's it feel like now mister?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Skub wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:07 pm What's it feel like now mister?
To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the flash. I can feel the changes but I'm not sure its 'better' as such. However, the man is very helpful and will do further tweaks to get it there.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

How many miles you covered? Isn't there a period of adaption?
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Taipan wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:55 pm How many miles you covered? Isn't there a period of adaption?
Probably. I did about 50 miles.

Whats happened is, as standard the bike gives you a bit too much when you open the throttle say 1/4 of a turn - it gives you more like 3/4, which is a bit hectic.
Now I can feel it being gentle so it feels like turbo lag. Less hectic but too soft. Somewhere inbetween should be better but if I had to choose, I 'd go with hectic rather than nanny...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

what mode you running in ?
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:01 am what mode you running in ?
That's in in A mode. I was previously using STD which seemed about right, if still a little abrupt.

I have now disabled the AIS which was causing a lot of popping (more like a backfire everytime you throttle off) so I need to do some more riding to make sure I know what I want before I send it back for an update.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

I figured out the probelm with my ECU flash.

I had assumed that the O2 sensor was disabled but it wasn't. Only the warning light was disabled. The man at wiz told me to disconnect the O2 sensor and the ECU would ignore that circuit - the closed loop - but it didn't.

In the end I fitted a O2 eliminator which seems to have fooled the ECU into believing the sensor is telling it that the mixture is lean enough not to harm kittens so no need to add any more leanness.

Probably could've just fitted that £10 item without doing the flash and be 90% there.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

So to cheer my bike up I treated it to these:

ImageIMG_20210325_172622753

They are really well matched, colour-wise. And a lovely shape. I'm not assured by the method of fixing them to the bike, but they look so lush, I forgive them.

Unfortunately, I had to go to tool station to get some torx tamperproof bits to fit them and by the time I got nack it was dark so pics on the bike will follow another day...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

bevvo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm So to cheer my bike up I treated it to these:

ImageIMG_20210325_172622753

They are really well matched, colour-wise. And a lovely shape. I'm not assured by the method of fixing them to the bike, but they look so lush, I forgive them.

Unfortunately, I had to go to tool station to get some torx tamperproof bits to fit them and by the time I got nack it was dark so pics on the bike will follow another day...
What are they.??
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

bevvo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 pm
Probably could've just fitted that £10 item without doing the flash and be 90% there.
I'm quite surprised at this, my bike does feel dramatically different to before the flash on mine, considering it's the same bike and same tuner, that really does surprise me.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 am What are they.??
Side panels?

That lug with the two bolt holes attaches where the pillion pegs bolt to the frame.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:31 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:35 am What are they.??
Side panels?

That lug with the two bolt holes attaches where the pillion pegs bolt to the frame.
:clap: 2 points. I need some spacers so that the plastic doesn't get crushed by the pillion peg bolts. Can't find any M8 top hats but a bush will do.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:50 am
bevvo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 pm
I'm quite surprised at this, my bike does feel dramatically different to before the flash on mine, considering it's the same bike and same tuner, that really does surprise me.
I'm surprised as well. I did quite a bit of testing to confirm the closed loop was still active. And the eliminator made a big difference.

There is a before/after difference to be fair. I can now leave the bike in A mode and turn off TCS pretty much all the time.

I think the XSR and MT have different OE maps though. Back to back reviews I've seen indictate that the XSR is a bit more relaxed.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Bit of an update>

I don't know what Wiz did to my ECU but whatever it was made things worse not better. It made it snatchy, robbed some power and fuel consumption dropped to 30 mpg!
But rather than moan about it and keep sending it back via post I decided to cut my losses and try something else.
So I took my ECU over to Parkitt Racing near Newark and got them to do a Woolich bench flash. I reasoned that I could always come back if I wasn't happy and get it dyno'd to identify any persistant issues. Turned out that was not even necessary.
My bike is now back to being the hooligan it was designed to be and more. More mid-range punch, better fueling, and much better throttle response. Snatch gone! Needless to say, I'm well happy.
Skub

Post by Skub »

bevvo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 pm Bit of an update>

I don't know what Wiz did to my ECU but whatever it was made things worse not better. It made it snatchy, robbed some power and fuel consumption dropped to 30 mpg!
But rather than moan about it and keep sending it back via post I decided to cut my losses and try something else.
So I took my ECU over to Parkitt Racing near Newark and got them to do a Woolich bench flash. I reasoned that I could always come back if I wasn't happy and get it dyno'd to identify any persistant issues. Turned out that was not even necessary.
My bike is now back to being the hooligan it was designed to be and more. More mid-range punch, better fueling, and much better throttle response. Snatch gone! Needless to say, I'm well happy.
That's a bit shit,but it's good to get it sorted.

I was a bit concerned before getting mine flashed,but happily it's all been positive,the bike fuels just so sweetly now,it's a real pleasure to ride.

Did Parkitt explain what Wiz had done to make the bike worse? I think I'd be fairly keen to give Wiz some feedback. If he's any sort of bloke,surely he'd value information to prevent further cockups?
Walt Whitman
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

bevvo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 pm Bit of an update>

Oh wow, that's bad and good. Did you go back to Wiz and comment? As you may have seen, Mofo rode mine at the weekend and even in A mode thought it was smooth. So I'd be really curious to know what happened to yours
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Yeah I had a few chats on the phone and he went back to check the file he had loaded and assured me all was well. But I did some research about the flashtune software and something didn't add up. He should've been able to disable the O2 sensor, for example, but he said it wasn't an option on my bike - but only after I had sent it. I guess I could have sent the ecu back for him to have another go but I lost confidence. Another tuner I spoke to said they had stopped using flashtune in favour of woolich as the software is more robust.
In hindsight, sending such a critical component off in the post to someone you don't know is a gamble. It didn't pay off for me.
But to be honest, I'm just glad its now back to full health.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Woolich seems to be the go to software from what I read,the only other name which pops up is a US guy Ivan's Performance Products.

Personally I'd be shy sending a ECU by post to America,but I hear good reports from those who've used him.

I know loads have happily had a flash without a dyno run,but even though it costs more,I like the knowledge of the bike being custom tuned,rather than a generic map for my model of bike.
Walt Whitman