Chain lube/wax/paste

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Chain lube/wax/paste

Post by The Spin Doctor »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm I wasn't being entirely serious. I had hoped the smiley might convey that.

I agree with most of what you say, but trying to keep road grit off a chain is simply a doctrine of perfection. My answer is a Scottoiler. That keeps the O/X/W rings lubricated and isn't overly sticky.
Fair do's re smiley tho people often use them for the opposite reason. A lot of riders DO think "the stickier the better" and simply spray on more gloop over the nasty mess that's already on the chain.

Scottoilers are good (if expensive), I've used a home-made version in the past.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:46 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm I wasn't being entirely serious. I had hoped the smiley might convey that.

I agree with most of what you say, but trying to keep road grit off a chain is simply a doctrine of perfection. My answer is a Scottoiler. That keeps the O/X/W rings lubricated and isn't overly sticky.
Fair do's re smiley tho people often use them for the opposite reason. A lot of riders DO think "the stickier the better" and simply spray on more gloop over the nasty mess that's already on the chain.

Scottoilers are good (if expensive), I've used a home-made version in the past.
Yeah that was my problem as well with some of the waxes. Especially in summer when the b-roads are dusty the chain would attract a lot of dust.

Hoping I can get on with the Tutoro, just don't like flicks on oil on the tyre :evil: And I don't think I'll stop that.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Has anyone on here tried dry graphite lube? Used by the desert racers, but I wonder if it works on road bikes well enough to be worth it.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm What you see on the outside is - AFAIK - designed to stop the chain rusting in shipment and storage.

If you rode 500 miles in the wet, why didn't you do something about it? Don't blame Honda!
I lubed it about as much as I used to on the Bonnie and the VFR, ie checked it every 1000 miles or so and lubed it if it looked as though it needed it. After a service when I knew it had been properly lubed I might leave it a bit longer.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
The Spin Doctor

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:35 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:57 pm What you see on the outside is - AFAIK - designed to stop the chain rusting in shipment and storage.

If you rode 500 miles in the wet, why didn't you do something about it? Don't blame Honda!
I lubed it about as much as I used to on the Bonnie and the VFR, ie checked it every 1000 miles or so and lubed it if it looked as though it needed it. After a service when I knew it had been properly lubed I might leave it a bit longer.
I might think about changing your lube. The chain on my XJ is about four years old, and topping 30k miles and despite standing for 5 months there's no rust on it. Did you watch the FortNine video?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
cheb

Post by cheb »

Thanks, I've only ever used dry in locks and the like.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

My Silkolene has just arrived
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Based on that video, is no one else going for gear oil then?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 am Based on that video, is no one else going for gear oil then?
NOt really watched it matey. I went with Silkolene because i respect Trickys knowledge and my Wurth Dry Lube experience hasn't filled me 100% with happiness.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 am Based on that video, is no one else going for gear oil then?
It smells.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

JackyJoll wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 am
It smells.
I'm putting it on the chain not using it as after shave? :wtf:

:D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Historically I've used engine oil quite a lot. As above, the main thing is cleaning so I clean with good old fashioned paraffin and lube with oil....gear oil would make a bit more sense though.

My method also flings quite a lot!

I've also used WD40s dedicated spray stuff too, but as above being clean it what really matters.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:13 am My method also flings quite a lot!
This is why I haven't used gear oil. And the problem I'm getting with the Tutoro. Probably nothing wrong with it, but don't like even odd flicks of oil onto the road surface of the tyre.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:13 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:13 am My method also flings quite a lot!
This is why I haven't used gear oil. And the problem I'm getting with the Tutoro. Probably nothing wrong with it, but don't like even odd flicks of oil onto the road surface of the tyre.
My classic Triumph has (or rather, is supposed to have) a system to spray hot engine oil on the chain. Dunno what you're worried about :D

See how the return line also has a little tee off to the drive chain...

Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:14 am My classic Triumph has (or rather, is supposed to have) a system to spray hot engine oil on the chain. Dunno what you're worried about
I've noticed a few classics wear the chain is soaked in wet oil, that's probably why then!

I think on a lot of bikes the tutoro isn't so bad, but think cos the Duke has narrow tyres it doesn't help.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:35 am
I've noticed a few classics wear the chain is soaked in wet oil, that's probably why then!
It's 'cause the chains aren't sealed. Chains are 'roller chains', like this:

The rollers (5) are the bits which actually touch the sprockets, they're supposed to stay still relative to the sprocket and spin around on their pins (3). That way there's never any sliding/scraping between parts and eveything runs efficiently and last a long time. That's why chains are so common - they're very efficient 'cause they only use rolling contacts, never sliding (when they're working properly that is).

The rollers are lubricated by something, either grease packed in there, solid bushes (4) or oil. Modern O-ring and X-ring chains seal that oil/grease in (replacing bush 4 in the pic). Ideally that grease does everything and you don't ever need to lube the chain. Older vehicles use unsealed chains which need periodic lubricaiton to replace the stuff that's escaped. Things like timing chains also use the same principals, but they can be unsealed 'cause they run inside a clean engine with a steady supply of fresh oil.
The Spin Doctor

Been using it for years... chains last 30-odd thousand miles.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:19 pm It's 'cause the chains aren't sealed. Chains are 'roller chains', like this:
All motorcycle final drive chains are roller chains. It's just that modern chains use O/X rings to keep factory lube sealed inside whereas on older style chains there was a gap between the outer rollers and the side plates to permit primitive (and largely inefficient) lubrication of the inner/outer roller interface. Which is why Linklyfe was A Thing.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That's what I said isn't it?

I'd go further and say you're unlikely to find a chain of any sort that isn't a roller chain. 'Cept maybe the one on your bog handle.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Boat anchor chains, security chains, blockchains, to name but three.