Insurance

Anything you like about motorbikes
cheb

Insurance

Post by cheb »

Nothing specific, just my observations after getting quotes and taking out a policy.

Express Insurance Services, part of Carole Nash. Specifically asked and had a tick box for auto renewal. Also as I tried to pay they said the session had timed out. I tried again with the same result. I suspect it was my cookies being auto deleted as I went from their page to the payment page. Ho hum, their problem and one lost sale.

Bennetts: Extras, helmet/breakdown/legal/etc cover, was asked in a roundabout way quite early on. Auto renew is automatic, you have to phone to cancel it. That'll be a job for Monday then. I'm tempted to cancel just out of peevishness, it might convince them to ask beforehand.

£75 for a 125 TPFT, 56 year old male living in the middle of nowhere.
KungFooBob

Re: Insurance

Post by KungFooBob »

Did you try Hastings, they're usually the cheapest for me if I refuse the bells and whistles?
cheb

Post by cheb »

I didn't try Hastings. With the insurance costing less than £100 how much am I likely to save and how long will I have spend answering the same questions to do so. Even I value my time more than that. I'm not expecting anything in the way of customer service, nor do I think I'll need it. The chances of the bike being nicked or catching fire are minimal to the point of non existence, I'd have gone for TP only had it been cheaper.

That said I can get a quote now just in case I do throw my teddy out of the pram at Bennetts.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've never had to make a claim with Hastings, but you can make policy changes online without taking to a call centre, which is nice. Everything is an optional extra, legal cover, clothing, etc.. all additional cost if you want them.

I used to love Auntie Carole, but one year they couldn't get within £100 of any other quote so I binned them and they've not been competitive since. Apparently the company changed hands.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

...and I think they've stopped doing it, but both Bennetts and Devitt used to offer £15-20 cash back on Quidco.

I got £15 and £20 back on policies costing £82 and £85 (for the moped I use in the motorhome).
cheb

Post by cheb »

Just tried Hastings, filled in all the details and no quote for technical reasons.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I need to look into quidco
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Deffo worth a look,

The wife has saved over £1500 using quidco for the last half dozen years and I've done a couple of hundred in mine.

Always check it when buying insurance or ferry tickets, I've got my debit card registered with it so I automatically get 1% back whenever I use my card at Screwfix or Halfrauds.

https://www.quidco.com/search/?search=bike%20insurance

I only got a sperate account to the wife because they were offering £20 to recommended a friend.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Sounds worth it. I've a Blue Light Card (Hero Worker!), cost me a £5 a few years ago and I've barely made that back. I don't seem to shop where it's taken.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I use Bemoto. Best customer service by a mile. Insurance company run by bikers for bikers.

Bloke I'm doing some work for has just insured his Harley Street Bob with Carole Nash. £44 a year fully comp. The joys of being 65 and riding less than 3000 miles a year.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Bemoto only do quotes on the phone iirc.

No online quotes.

When I called they were lovely, but not competitive.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'm with Bennetts. That's interesting £75 for a 125 TPFT. I got a quote Sunday for a XSR900. 43 yr old in a Herts village, 9+ years NCB and £118 fully comp. Which is cheaper than my 690 is with them! My R6 with Bennetts was £86.
cheb

Post by cheb »

It took them most of the day to confirm removal of auto renewal. They wouldn't send me an email confirming this as, and I quote "After the chat ends you'll receive a transcript by email." Guess what: No transcript email. That's why I took a screenshot.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Over here it's almost impossible to set up an auto payment for anything wo going into the bank to do it. They've only just stopped demanding cheque payment.
Horse

Post by Horse »

FYI email from Direct Line 'if your mileage has reduced substantially, fill in the online form and we'll refund part of your premium'

Worth asking other insurers?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:34 am FYI email from Direct Line 'if your mileage has reduced substantially, fill in the online form and we'll refund part of your premium'

Worth asking other insurers?
If mine reduced i'd be walking :)
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Mine has dropped £20 odd on renewal as my mileage is greatly reduced from July. Walking to work means the bike will then get to rest in the garage.... will see how long that Motobatt holds a charge now, especially since it is 3 years old. Oh yes, £174 FC NCB protected.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

cheb wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:54 pm Nothing specific, just my observations after getting quotes and taking out a policy.

Express Insurance Services, part of Carole Nash. Specifically asked and had a tick box for auto renewal. Also as I tried to pay they said the session had timed out. I tried again with the same result. I suspect it was my cookies being auto deleted as I went from their page to the payment page. Ho hum, their problem and one lost sale.

Bennetts: Extras, helmet/breakdown/legal/etc cover, was asked in a roundabout way quite early on. Auto renew is automatic, you have to phone to cancel it. That'll be a job for Monday then. I'm tempted to cancel just out of peevishness, it might convince them to ask beforehand.

£75 for a 125 TPFT, 56 year old male living in the middle of nowhere.

I always ask them to turn it off. I've NEVER had an auto-renewal come though with the same underwriter - they always strip off half the sub-clauses (pillion cover, tpo on 3rd party, foreign travel etc ) on the 'better-value-renewal' and I have to re-phone them and put them all back on, then argue about the renewal quote again.

EVERY

SINGLE

SODDING

YEAR
non quod, sed quomodo
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

inewham wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm What are Hastings like to deal with? Carole Nash have been an absolute shower for the past few years, I need to move.
I have used them on and off for the past few years. When they send the renewal out i go back to confused dot com and Hastings generally comes up cheaper than renewal so i take out the new policy each time and they never ask for proof of NCB as they already hold it. Its a loophole in the system but works for me.

When i stacked the Multistrada they were fairly easy to deal with and although started me on a low offer eventually haggled to what i thought was a reasonable figure for the payout. The only issue i had was that i thought the kit add on was on the policy but wasnt so i didnt get paid out for that but couldnt figure out if it was my mistake on the policy or theirs
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Rockburner wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:08 am I always ask them to turn it off. I've NEVER had an auto-renewal come though with the same underwriter - they always strip off half the sub-clauses (pillion cover, tpo on 3rd party, foreign travel etc ) on the 'better-value-renewal' and I have to re-phone them and put them all back on, then argue about the renewal quote again.

EVERY

SINGLE

SODDING

YEAR
Somewhere along the line, I lost the 'ride any other bike not belonging to the policy holder' cover... I KNOW it was there when I took out the policy, but one year the renewal arrived with a covering letter to 'check' whether I was still covered under the renewed policy... it wasn't there so I rang up and asked them to put it back on... "I can't, it's not offered by the underwriter"... but I was covered last year wasn't I?? "no, it wasn't on your policy last year either".

I'd binned the documents at my end so I couldn't check previous years to see where it went missing but I suspect it was when the broker I was with was bought out by someone else... although the underwriter appeared to be the same, clearly something changed.

Lucky I didn't get stopped whilst riding my buddy's bikes!! I was really NOT happy... particularly as the premium had gone up about 50%!!! "It's because you are in a high risk group as an instructor"... really? How often do instructors bin their bikes whilst plodding around behind trainees?

There are fewer and fewer insurance companies out there. A lot of the 'names' are all owned by the same umbrella company.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills