Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Bomble

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by Bomble »

Had a Remus on my 701, it was one with a cat in and was the only pipe I tried that didn’t sound shit on it. That 690 one sounds awful though😀
Ive seen a couple of people on the hyper forum with pipewerx cans and they really rate the quality, they have a big choice of different styles too.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by weeksy »

For the forseeable future i think i'll be sticking with standard... partly because "why not" and partly because i spent nearly £200 on cycling shoes for me and my lad yesterday lol.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Not many people may think so, not many may be impressed, but i am :)

Image2020-05-15_11-44-34 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

1000 miles...

Had a lovely ride on it, some fast stuff, some gravel strewn back lanes, just generally pootling about and having fun. One section i felt it was almost trackday like, smooth road, no traffic, i may have even hit an apex.... possibly.

Image2020-05-15_11-44-19 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I took a pic like that when I got back from a weekend away. As I turned into my road the odo clicked over to 10k exactly. Thought that was pretty cool.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Supermofo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:32 am I started thinking what would I do with the extra 45bhp of the MT09 motor
I do that every time I go out on my CB500X, every since a test ride on a Tracer700 at MCN Peterborough. The Tracer felt wicked after the 47 bhp of the X. Same weight and handling but it certain shifted. I was lucky to be at the back of snake so I could hang back and give it some wellie to catch up.

I love grunt but in the real world I'm constantly backing off to keep approximately legal. From here to Spain and Italy it really has not been a real disadvantage. Bilbao to Jerez with one stop, Calais to Trento, two stops. Can I ask for more ? With 70 mpg.
Brian
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I honestly honestly don't want to go any quicker... I was going plenty fast :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Decent distance ride today on the 690. Was great to test with GPs Ducati too as they're poles apart, the KTM being more playful, more frantic and more loose.

Riding his Monster answered my exhaust questions, I don't want a louder bike. It also answered my power questions, I don't want more power than the 690 either.

I love the way it makes its power, just a fun fun bike to ride!!!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

minor change today. Dropped the gear selector lever 1 down on the spline, just to see how it feels really, sometimes i feel it's a tiny bit too high, but the increments are quite large, 1 tooth may well be more than i ideally want.

Image2020-05-18_09-24-42 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-05-18_09-24-32 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Was it standard? As standard I was having to lift my foot up to change gear really annoying as seemed set for MX boot almost. I dropped it 1 maybe 2 about 6 months in and much prefer it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm pretty sure i'd dropped it 1 tooth already. It's only every now and again i get a missed shift, but i'm sure i used to run it lower, so will try it next time out, either way, it's a 20s change to put back etc.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I think I might have dropped mine 2. I seem to recall thinking it was wayyyyyyy to high so went big. It was 4 years ago though so it's a bit hazy.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well my bar end mirrors turned up, the quality seems ok, but the fitting kit isn't right for 690 bars, not even close. For whatever reason they're too large a diameter. But I had some expanding type bolts that I found and fitted on the left hand side for now. Will it work well enough, I'll see tomorrow.

I also noticed that the throttle side bar end had a little bit of drag so moved the grip in about 1mm and it's now snappy again.

I'll not bother with photo until I drag it outside for a proper look.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well that was a complete and utter success really.

Gear changes with the lever 2 clicks down from standard (1 down from where i had it) are so so much nicer from 4>5 and 5>6. If you don't recall there's something to do with the dogs being 270deg between them 2 gear changes and 180deg between 1>4. This does mean that sometimes 4>5 and 5>6 can feel a bit sloppy and you get the odd false neutral along with not being certain it's 100% engaged at times. It's not a massive thing, but dropping the shifter lever down 1 tooth on the spline really does sort it out. Smooth changes in them gears now, but also a really positive feeling so you know you're in there.

The bar end mirror... well that went better than i expected. Usually like most people i've mounted it on the throttle side, this is obviously for changing lanes onto dual carriageways/motorways, but in reality i can't recall the last time i went down either of them, so it's more for seeing what's behind me in a village when i slow etc. It worked really well and didn't get in the way at all. It's small and a little weird in colour from the anti-glare coating, but still, works damn well for what it is. Due to the incorrect fitting sizes i've had to kind of fit it with a few spares and i'm not completely 100% with it, but it's still solid, no wobbles from the mounts or the mirror and apart from a bit of vibration at higher speeds, it just works.
Looks wise, well, i'm not 100% but i'm close enough that i'm happy, it's a lot nicer than the massive standard mirrors for me.

Image2020-05-20_09-47-30 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-05-20_09-47-40 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-05-20_09-47-49 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-05-20_09-47-57 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-04-22_12-59-35 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 am
The bar end mirror... well that went better than i expected. Usually like most people i've mounted it on the throttle side, this is obviously for changing lanes onto dual carriageways/motorways, but in reality i can't recall the last time i went down either of them, so it's more for seeing what's behind me in a village when i slow etc. It worked really well and didn't get in the way at all. I
'Whisper' That's not the throttle side!! :lol: :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nordboy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:00 am
weeksy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 am
The bar end mirror... well that went better than i expected. Usually like most people i've mounted it on the throttle side, this is obviously for changing lanes onto dual carriageways/motorways, but in reality i can't recall the last time i went down either of them, so it's more for seeing what's behind me in a village when i slow etc. It worked really well and didn't get in the way at all. I
'Whisper' That's not the throttle side!! :lol: :lol:
It was supposed to say "unusually, unlike most people, i've not mounted it on the throttle side"
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

140-150 miles on the 690 today and had a blast out there. Bike and me were both on great form.

Had to laugh on the b4494 as I caught 5 sports bikes up and sat behind them thinking "why are we going so slow"

I was sooooo tempted to be childish and blow past them, but now isn't really the right time for things like that.

Gear changes are deffo better with lever down though.

A million dead flies covered the bike I must admit, 20 minutes work there!!!
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:08 pm 140-150 miles on the 690 today and had a blast out there. Bike and me were both on great form.

Had to laugh on the b4494 as I caught 5 sports bikes up and sat behind them thinking "why are we going so slow"

I was sooooo tempted to be childish and blow past them, but now isn't really the right time for things like that.

When an experienced rider on an 06 ZX10R says " shit, that's got some grunt!" you know you have a healthy 690. OK he was only feathering the throttle in 2nd and maybe occasionally 3rd, but hey, result :thumbup: :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:07 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:08 pm 140-150 miles on the 690 today and had a blast out there. Bike and me were both on great form.

When an experienced rider on an 06 ZX10R says " shit, that's got some grunt!" you know you have a healthy 690. OK he was only feathering the throttle in 2nd and maybe occasionally 3rd, but hey, result :thumbup: :thumbup:
That was a nice compliment, along with being nice to do a ride on my own bike. So often I end up trying a different bike and I really really struggle on 99% of bikes to ride at even 50% of my normal speed, really don't know why. So to be able to ride mine and how I want to, was great. The 690 surprises me at times just how great it is. I'm very very glad I never sold it recently.
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:38 am
That was a nice compliment, along with being nice to do a ride on my own bike. So often I end up trying a different bike and I really really struggle on 99% of bikes to ride at even 50% of my normal speed, really don't know why. So to be able to ride mine and how I want to, was great. The 690 surprises me at times just how great it is. I'm very very glad I never sold it recently.
I'm quoting this so I can use it against you next time you think you need something different.
By the way, I didn't ride it before you put that Wilbers shock in it, its very plush :D Ever thought of putting a kit in the front?
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

G.P wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:18 am I'm quoting this so I can use it against you next time you think you need something different.
Don't try and bring reasonable thinking into Weeksy buying bikes! :crazy:

This is from when he was getting the lastest 790. :lol:
weeksy.JPG
weeksy.JPG (21.8 KiB) Viewed 2518 times