Moto Guzzis they seem to be a bit marmite?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Moto Guzzis they seem to be a bit marmite?

Post by Taipan »

As a young bloke I loved the Guzzi LeMans and always fancied ring the PCH on a California one day, but then when I actually started buying bikes, Guzzis sort of dropped off my radar. A couple of years back i saw the V7 Cafe Racer and it did grab my attention briefly, but I'd dismissed it as quickly as I'd thought about it.

People seem pretty binary about them, POS according to some and works of art to others? I know nothing about them really. What are they like to ride? Are they as unreliable as some make out? Talk Guzzis to me! :thumbup:

Obligatory Guzzi pic...

Skub

Re: Moto Guzzis they seem to be a bit marmite?

Post by Skub »

Ditch pump engines.

Poor man's beemer,etc.

I rode a couple back in the late 70s,a California and a Lemon. Guzzis have their own charm and while I've never owned one,I like them from afar. In those days Italian chrome disappeared the first time you showed it water,paint not far behind. Just don't even mention electrics...Those are some of the reasons they earned the 'poor man's beemer' handle. BMW used to be great quality,but they are no better than anything out there now.

Anyway,that was then,I've no idea of how they are now.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I had a white Mk1 Le Mans in the early 80's after an RD400, went to St Tropez on it and camping holidays. Fancied one after seeing a picture and reading the test in Bike Magazine.
Guzzi girl.jpg
Guzzi girl.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Old ones are easy to work on, reliable (mine have been anyway). Sold the first one for more than I paid for it, when the first child came along.
Got the current one four years ago and enjoy working on it as much as riding it. Spent about £2k on it (not running when I bought it but the only way I could afford it) but still reckon I'm quids in if I come to sell it.
20160724_185716.jpg
20160724_185716.jpg (145.15 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
The only other old Guzzi I fancy would be a Calafornian for a bit of relaxed cruising. Thought about get a Griso in 2004 but got a Tuono instead, I wanted to do wheelies.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I enjoyed my Le Mansish for the short time I had it. I'm the wrong shape for them, my knees hit the blocks. The electrics were fine, except for the bits done by the previous owner who claimed to be a bus mechanic IIRC.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

What's the issue with the valve train on the later ones?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Badly hardened rocker arms IIRC.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

GuzziPaul wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:51 pm Old ones are easy to work on, reliable (mine have been anyway). Sold the first one for more than I paid for it, when the first child came along.
Got the current one four years ago and enjoy working on it as much as riding it. Spent about £2k on it (not running when I bought it but the only way I could afford it) but still reckon I'm quids in if I come to sell it.
20160724_185716.jpg
Can't see you ever losing money on it.
I nearly bought a mk 4 Lemon back in the early 90's. Ended up with a 906 Paso instead which turned out to be a bit of a disaster.
Should have stuck with the Guzzi. The mk 4's weren't the prettiest. A bit 80's, all shoulder pads and excess plastic but I reckon if I had it now I'd be in profit.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Skub wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:06 pm Just don't even mention electrics...
The main electrical components were the same Bosch stuff fitted to BMW's of the time. What let them down was the loom and occasionally the switch gear.

No idea what happened to my copy of Guzziology, but for older Guzzi's it was the bible of how to fix them and make them as reliable as anything else.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I've only had a very short go on the 850 Le Mans? That cheb used to own.
Was only a very short go and from memory there was something about the throttle. Might have just needed a quicker action throttle or something can't remember now.
Was OK and I quite liked the noise.
Couldn't stand the California thing another mate owned, dunno what shape is needed for one of those things. Kind of chimp short legs and long arms?
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Old school carbed Guzzis had famously heavy throttles.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Would love a (proper) V7 Sport

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've got one, a 2015 V7 ii Special. It's the only MG I've ridden.

Decided I wanted a new bike on a Friday night, decided I might like to try a Guzzi and did a deal on Saturday.

The V7 is A2 compliant as standard rather than by restriction, it's circa 50bhp from an air cooled twin valve pushrod motor. They're not very stressed. Maintenance is easy as the heads stick out the side you can take the rocker covers off to do the locknut valve adjustments without removing anything else.

It's got just enough power to keep it interesting and the engine layout means there's 'character' that you just don't get on an IL4.

Build quality seems good and it's got a shaft drive.

It looks like a lot of metal, but it's lighter that you'd think, similar weight to the RE 650 interceptor and a fair chunk lighter than a Triumph T100, so it actually handles well feels quite perky.

I'm a member of a few groups and there doesn't seem to be any issues with them except some fuelling issues some people have, but the latest map from the dealer or an aftermarket map seems to sort things out.

The worst thing about them is that they are proper Hipster magnets.

I'd love to try one of the big block Guzzi's, the 1100 Sports look proper cool.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

demographic wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:56 pm I've only had a very short go on the 850 Le Mans? That cheb used to own.
Was only a very short go and from memory there was something about the throttle. Might have just needed a quicker action throttle or something can't remember now.
Le Mans throttles can be very heavy. Its the big springs needed on the pumper carbs. On my first one I fitted larger foam grips to try and get a bit more leverage. Nowadays lighter springs can be fitted. I also had Lafranconi "Production Race" exhaust fitted. these were one step down from the Competizione exhausts and didn't have the end painted red but still gave a nice sound.

My current Le Mans has a Tomaselli quick action throttle and well set up carbs (the result of experience and a vacuum gauge) and the trottle is much more manageble. I have also diconnected the accelerator pumps, this may make it a bit lighter action as well. I've not noticed any differance in accelaration but it has added about 8mpg to my fuel consumption.