Bigyin

Motorcycle training coming out of lockdown

Post by Bigyin »

The question all my phone calls from work are all about

"When does motorcycle training and CBT start again"

From the 29th of March you can take

✅a CBT
✅motorcycle lessons with instructors

If step 2 of the government roadmap is confirmed on 5 April, from 12 April 2021 in England, you can take
✅car, lorry driving lessons with instructors and lorry tests
✅motorcycle test
✅theory tests

If step 2 of the government roadmap is confirmed on 5 April, from 22 April 2021 in England:
✅car driving tests will restart

It appears bike tests are 10 days ahead of car tests
Bigyin

Re: Motorcycle training coming out of lockdown

Post by Bigyin »

As well as being general info some might want for kids, friends, relatives i know its not targetted at many on here as we all already ride and have done the tests ........... plus just for @weeksy i thought the wording might hit a few search engines for traffic :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

And, for those involved or interested, IAM, RoSPA, Bikesafe - and our very own Spin - are getting active again.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:26 pm The question all my phone calls from work are all about

"When does motorcycle training and CBT start again"

From the 29th of March you can take

✅a CBT
✅motorcycle lessons with instructors

If step 2 of the government roadmap is confirmed on 5 April, from 12 April 2021 in England, you can take
✅car, lorry driving lessons with instructors and lorry tests
✅motorcycle test
✅theory tests

If step 2 of the government roadmap is confirmed on 5 April, from 22 April 2021 in England:
✅car driving tests will restart

It appears bike tests are 10 days ahead of car tests
I’d imagine there will be quite a backlog of tests to get through. The girlfriend is talking about sitting her bike test and I’ve suggested she book sooner rather than later because I think it will be 3/4 months before she gets a slot.
Horse

Post by Horse »

There may also be a backlog of people needing to renew CBTs too.

So, yes, get a booking in ASAP, she could always cancel and delay nearer the time.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Great news, I shall pass it on to spawn the lesser.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:25 am
I’d imagine there will be quite a backlog of tests to get through. The girlfriend is talking about sitting her bike test and I’ve suggested she book sooner rather than later because I think it will be 3/4 months before she gets a slot.
If she is going through a school for Mod 1 and Mod 2 they will book the test for her. The schools buy up test slots and then put a name to them when they decide which pupil is ready. Test slots will also be reduced to about half the number per day than they were pre Covid.
Horse wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:40 am There may also be a backlog of people needing to renew CBTs too.

So, yes, get a booking in ASAP, she could always cancel and delay nearer the time.
As of last week we had a list of over 100 people just wanting CBT's. That didnt include the renewals which stand at about 50. After almost 4 months doing nothing its going to be a busy couple of months
tricol

Post by tricol »

So glad I passed in December. I got lucky with passing my MOD1 and getting a MOD2 for the following week. If I had failed either I'd still be waiting.

I'm sure the backlog will take a while to get through.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Congrats!
Skub

Post by Skub »

tricol wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:37 pm So glad I passed in December. I got lucky with passing my MOD1 and getting a MOD2 for the following week. If I had failed either I'd still be waiting.

The world is your lobster Rodney. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
tricol

Post by tricol »

Will be on Friday! Bike collection day...
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

tricol wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:37 pm So glad I passed in December. I got lucky with passing my MOD1 and getting a MOD2 for the following week. If I had failed either I'd still be waiting.

Well done on getting in under the wire :thumbup:

Yes the backlog is going to take months to get through and places like ours that used to open 5 days a week and have a couple of days off in the week will be 7 days a week and i have already been asked to do 5 or 6 days a week instead of the 2 or 3 i used to do as a part timer before the lovely virus arrived. At least it will make up some of what i have lost for the months of closures and no more being bored :mrgreen:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Yes, www.survivalskills.co.uk is back in action as of 10am Monday 29 March with my COVID-adapted courses.

Briefings are done via Zoom so we can eliminate meeting / briefing in a cafe and stopping for lunch. Debrief also via Zoom with on-bike video - I take a 20 mins section of the ride and go through it in detail - and all the Zoom elements are made available online so you can get to review them as many times as you like.

Courses available all round London. And if you are too far from the big smoke, there are the ONLINE COACHING sessions to choose from!
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Been asked if I'd be interested in getting my DAS licence back but I can't see how the ATB is going to cover all courses, they've got the bikes but the bottleneck will be at the test centres. Locally, in previous years, they have had the benefit of two bike qualified examiners that normally do cars and over the Summer they do two or three days on Mod1 to keep on top of demand. I'd imagine that the DVSA will want to keep them on cars as that is the biggest volume of tests by a long way.
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:02 pm Yes the backlog is going to take months to get through and places like ours that used to open 5 days a week and have a couple of days off in the week will be 7 days a week and i have already been asked to do 5 or 6 days a week instead of the 2 or 3 i used to do as a part timer before the lovely virus arrived. At least it will make up some of what i have lost for the months of closures and no more being bored :mrgreen:
Does that mean your ATB will delay submitting you for Cardington? Do you know if examiners will be seconded from Cardington to help with test demand?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

dayglo jim wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:03 pm
Bigyin wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:02 pm Yes the backlog is going to take months to get through and places like ours that used to open 5 days a week and have a couple of days off in the week will be 7 days a week and i have already been asked to do 5 or 6 days a week instead of the 2 or 3 i used to do as a part timer before the lovely virus arrived. At least it will make up some of what i have lost for the months of closures and no more being bored :mrgreen:
Does that mean your ATB will delay submitting you for Cardington? Do you know if examiners will be seconded from Cardington to help with test demand?
I am already about a year behind where i should have been for Cardington and there is a backlog for there as well unfortunately but will see when i can get there as the regional supervisor is aware i am itching to get there and has said he will help if he can. That is of course if it stays open as i hear its closing and i might be going somewhere in Kent instead but no further on that.

As far as i am aware they wont be helping but DVSA are currently recruiting more examiners