What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am @Yorick Your post-count would be greatly reduced if you only mentioned the weather when it was crap.
I'm just trying to cheer you all up :)
David

Post by David »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:42 am No chance of a lay in this morning. Battened down the hatches. All roofs are still on, all trees still upright, a few stray bins.

https://earth.nullschool.net/

Went out early to drop a book case off.....tree across the lane...I had actually taken a chainsaw with me but it was too big.
Oh....the garage of very little power has had the felt lifted so I am off up there with some nails and a hammer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:16 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:21 pm Just got some blood tests back and amongst the other stuff I can't translate, my cholesterol has gone up since Jan 2020 :( :( Bit peeved about that as I've always had low cholesterol despite being fat. So, somewhat miffed!!

Now got to take the rest of the results to the doctor as I don't know what most of it means! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still have low cholesterol but apparently that's not important, it's the ratio between HDL and LDL that matters as mine is not good.
I don't know how accurate that is but it's what my doctor said so it may be worth you looking it up and seeing how your score looks.
Statins may not help with that so there are limited options.
I've never looked into it all but I know that I will never take statins!! My SDad was on them and they royally fcked him up - docs still won't accept that statins did the damage.

I'll probably send those results to my SDad as he knows far more about it now than most doctors :lol: :lol: But should read up on it as well

Stuff to do today but will go back to the doctor with all the results (quite a few tests for menopause stuff too, so I have pages of results :( )

First thing though, back on the vit D protocol I had started. Vit D can often (so I've read) help with lots of things, so I'll get back on that since they'd probably tell me to take it anyway as the vit d result is quite low. Could solve a few of the issues I'm having, apparently!! LOL

ogri wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:28 pm
Like most of us, it means your getting older with style ;)
I'm in one of these groups -

I'm refusing to get old (regardless of what the tests and years say)

or

Growing old disgracefully

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Last edited by Noggin on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:42 am
Trinity765 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:42 am No chance of a lay in this morning. Battened down the hatches. All roofs are still on, all trees still upright, a few stray bins.

https://earth.nullschool.net/

It's a very pleasant 23c here today with a light breeze.
Bit too warm here, for a ski resort, at around 6 degrees. Cloud cover but bright

I prefer sunshine or snow - but the temps today mean that my plan to get to the outdoor pool might actually happen!!! (I've never braved the pool when its actually cold or snowing!! LOL)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:16 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:21 pm Just got some blood tests back and amongst the other stuff I can't translate, my cholesterol has gone up since Jan 2020 :( :( Bit peeved about that as I've always had low cholesterol despite being fat. So, somewhat miffed!!

:cry: :cry:

Now got to take the rest of the results to the doctor as I don't know what most of it means! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still have low cholesterol but apparently that's not important, it's the ratio between HDL and LDL that matters as mine is not good.
I don't know how accurate that is but it's what my doctor said so it may be worth you looking it up and seeing how your score looks.
Statins may not help with that so there are limited options.
Found this on the big googley thing -
Your cholesterol ratio is calculated by dividing your total cholesterol by your HDL number. For instance, if your total cholesterol is 180 and your HDL is 82, your cholesterol ratio is 2.2. According to the American Heart Association (AHA), you should aim to keep your ratio below 5, with the ideal cholesterol ratio being 3.5
So at 3.56, I'm not too bad :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Will talk to my dad later and ask him about diet stuff for cholesterol. He talks about diet like my sis talks about politics, so it'll be interesting!! LOL But I'll learn a lot I think :banana-dance:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Wasted over an hour of my life on the phone to a bank that can be suumarised as How Simple Became Complicated, after finding they'd locked my account.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I went swimming at the outdoor pool today. Really weird, some friends had driven up from the valley to go!!! But they are serious swimmers, so I sort of waved in their general direction when I left!! LOL

Kinda weird swimming outdoors in the winter but I need to do it more I think. I can now swim almost properly - at least, people don't notice the lack of ability so I don't swim like a three legged frog anymore!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, with the little bit of swimming and the attempt to replicate the exercises from the pool in rehab, damn my arm aches!! Something for the physio to work on tomorrow!! LOL

Looks like I can swim three times a week and physio three times a week and saturday off :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

This is what it looked like today - screenshot from FB. If it's snowing next time I go I'll take a camera (not the phone) and see if it's possible to get a decent photo of it snowing over the pool!!

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Today made Thursday's swim feel positively tropical!!! I do so hope that it's worth it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

One assumes said pool is heated. :eh:

I recall being sat in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland with my face freezing but the rest of me lovely and warm in the geothermal spring water. Move too far one way though and it starts to cool a little, but move the other way and it get uncomfortably, frighteningly hot very rapidly. Glad they rope off the really hot parts. :oops:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:50 pm Today made Thursday's swim feel positively tropical!!! I do so hope that it's worth it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A very well used part of my anatomy suddenly retreated inside while looking at that pic. :shock:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:55 pm One assumes said pool is heated. :eh:

I recall being sat in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland with my face freezing but the rest of me lovely and warm in the geothermal spring water. Move too far one way though and it starts to cool a little, but move the other way and it get uncomfortably, frighteningly hot very rapidly. Glad they rope off the really hot parts. :oops:
LOL It is heated. They said it was 30 degrees C - didn't bloody feel like it! The first time I went it was mostly sunny and I stayed about an hour - when not doing exercises or swimming I just relaxed (still wasn't what I'd call warm, but at least I wasn't cold). Yesterday I did two sets of exercises, couple of lengths of swimming and got out sharpish!! Not impressed!! LOL Got to go back tomorrow :(

Skub wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:58 pm A very well used part of my anatomy suddenly retreated inside while looking at that pic. :shock:
That proper made me laugh!! I think the picture looks colder than it actually was, but it wasn't warm to me. But then I prefer baths or showers to be hotter than most people I think!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I was finally a good smix today. I've had a letter telling me to see my doctor about a test for bowel cancer for almost a year, thought it was the camera one but even if not I am just very good (bad?) at putting off that sort of test (a small part of me thinks I'd rather not know - having watched what it did to a handful of close family and friends).

Anyway. Finally got the home test from the doctor last week and did it and posted it today!!

Also sorted a load of clothes I've been keeping for 'one day' or 'when they fit' into two categories - warm stuff and ski gear to the refugee pile and other stuff to the pile for friends to go through and decide if they want any before we find a charity shop for them.

I've kept so much stuff 'just in case' I can use it one day and TBH, most of it I wouldn't wear anyway now!! (Being 10 years older than when most of it fitted and also living in a ski resort not a UK city!!)

Kinda cool - making space in my apartment so I can reshuffle some more stuff in a few weeks. A friend has offered to help me do some dismantling of something that I think will make the place look quite a bit bigger (look bigger - it can't get any more space or bigger!!). So quite excited about that :D :D

Next stop - make some more crumpets and maybe have a go at Viennese Whirls!! Going to a French course tomorrow so might take some of those with me to share at coffee break (if we are allowed to share stuff like that!!)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

gremlin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:55 pm One assumes said pool is heated. :eh:

:mrgreen:
David

Post by David »

Noggin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:50 pm Today made Thursday's swim feel positively tropical!!! I do so hope that it's worth it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Use Yoricks pool.....much warmer and the beer is chea.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

David wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:36 pm
Use Yoricks pool.....much warmer and the beer is chea.
But, there's a free bus to the cool one. Bloody expensive to get to Yorick's place three times a week!! :lol:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Discovered £85 in my Quidco account, the drugs and hookers are on me!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Finally managed to get my van stereo to play music from a USB stick. It's a 2017 Peugeot Partner if that's of any interest.

First it can only play mp3 formatted files.

Second, no folders, each track has to on it's own.

Third, the second includes hidden folders too.

It's only taken me about a week to work through this.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

More reorganising my garage, got the box trailer in the right position separating tool store from office space. Got the workbench in a place I can use it and loads more stuff on shelves instead of a heap on the floor.
Put up the new lights and cabling, tomorrow I have no excuse to avoid wiring up the 4 way junction box so all the lights work. I hate wiring fiddly little junction boxes.
Now I just need to work out how to fix the tyre on the Erde trailer so I can sell it and free up some more space, I'm resisting spending £50 on new wheels for a £100 trailer that I don't want. If I buy a compressor it will probably be a quick job but I have no other justification for buying one, if the compressor is big enough to power a pneumatic rock breaker I may be onto something as I can get plenty of use out of that.
cheb

Post by cheb »

What's wrong with the wheels on the trailer?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

cheb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:30 pm What's wrong with the wheels on the trailer?
Nothing, one of the tyres won't hold pressure. I think it's just not seating on the rim properly but I can't get it to seal with a track pump.
I looked for new tyres but they seem the same price whether they are on their own or already fitted to new wheels.