MCN HONDA NSS750 FORZA (2021 - on) Review

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

MCN HONDA NSS750 FORZA (2021 - on) Review

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... orza/2021/

Bit of a break from the norm here, mostly because many of you could potentially be thinking "yeah, maybe...." due to costs and commuting etc.

Honda’s Forza 750 is pitched as a ‘megascooter’ to rival the likes of Yamaha’s TMAX, yet is something different to the usual giant rev-and-go. Think of it more as a bike, complete with rumbling twin-cylinder engine, proper chassis parts and capable dynamic, but with the practicality and ease-of-use of a super-sized step-thru’.

Related: 2021 Honda Forza range revealed
It's a motorcycle with space to securely stash your full-face helmet. One that offers proper weather protection without being the size of a bloated tourer, is a doddle to ride, changes gear for you, has voice-controlled phone connectivity, and even a glovebox for your packed lunch. Or gloves. Yet one that still sounds, feels and performs pretty much like a regular bike.

Honda tried this master-of-all-trades angle before with the discontinued Integra, which was based on the NC700/750 platform and suffered by not being enough like a bike but also not enough like a scooter. It was all a bit nowt nor summat. The Forza 750 nails the concept. It has the genuine functionality of a scooter – breezy to ride, storage, weather protection, efficiency – delivered by a mid-size motorbike that still has the noise, handling and most of the feel we expect. And the performance too: with less than 60bhp the 750 doesn’t leave scorched trails behind, but the easy-access drive means it’s as swift point-to-point in normal riding as pretty much anything else.

If you’re tempted by a true twist-and-go scooter then Yamaha’s TMAX is better at being scootery, though is also more expensive and less inspiring. There are faster, sharper and more engaging ‘real’ bikes, but none that are also as simple to use, practical, efficient on the commute or soothing on a motorway as the Forza. It’s a bit of a curious concept to get your head round, but once you do it’s really easy to see the Honda’s unique appeal.

The Forza is derived from the updated 2021-on version of the X-ADV, the pleasing off-the-wall adventure-scoot that looks like the lovechild of a Super Cub and a Land Rover. Changes for the Forza include different suspension with less travel, a reduced ride height, cast wheels rather than spoked, larger front discs and pure road tyres. There’s fresh bodywork too, based on the styling of Honda’s smaller Forza scooters.

And it really works. That upside-down Showa SFF-BP front end is similar to as used on the CB1000R super-naked, and with a 17-inch front wheel, four-piston radial brake calipers and pukka Pirelli tyres the Forza’s handling is decidedly un-scooter. It stops and turns accurately and keenly, provides plenty of feel, and has a ride that’s miles away from springy commuter preconceptions. Yes, it’s rather like a bike. The Forza is no scalpel but it’s way sportier and has greater outright handling than something like a TMAX, and ushering it smartly down a B-road is entertaining. The diddy-looking 15-inch rear wheel has no ill effects on the handling.

The 750 does require getting used to, though. Handlebars are quite narrow, and while at a pleasingly bike-like height the seating position is decidedly scooter. It takes a while to get used to hurling the Honda around and leaning over; it’s quite a few miles before you stop trying to slide your feet further back than they can go while attacking corners. Comfort is good, though. There are plenty of foot placement options on the boards, the broad seat is supportive (proper pillion seat and handles, too) and the large screen is very effective. Sheltered knees as well.

The radial-mount front brake calipers don’t have particularly strong initial bite, but there’s more than enough power. On an engaging B-road it’s easy to find yourself confidently braking hard enough for the emergency stop warning system to activate the hazard lights. The rear brake is controlled by your left hand, like on a pushbike, and is useful mid-corner and it treacherous conditions.

As with the X-ADV, the Forza uses the 745cc parallel twin from the NC model range. Essentially half a Jazz car engine, it’s a low-revving unit with a relaxed delivery – it was designed for economy and soothing thrumming, rather than giddy excitement. However, while 58bhp is hardly going to put your head in a spin it’s delivered before 7000rpm. With grunt spread across the rev range and peak torque arriving at just 4750rpm, the Forza makes up for absent zip with flexibility and effortless pace. It’s easy to find your expected 60mph is actually well beyond 80.

It’s not lacking in bike-like personality either. Honda use slightly different timing for each cylinder to generate feel and character, and the engine’s 270˚ firing interval means it has the feel and – importantly – the exhaust sound of a 90˚ V-twin. The deep, edgy note from the stubby upswept pipe means folk think they’re listening to a Ducati approaching, only for the Forza to slide into view.

It’s efficient. The 750 easily returns 70mpg in normal brisk use, meaning over 200 miles from the 13.2-litre tank (accessed through a neat, keyless, pop-up filler cap in front of the seat).

Honda use their six-speed DCT (dual clutch transmission) on the Forza. It’s not like the thrashy variable drive of a scooter, but a proper gearbox managed by the bike – so there’s a connection between your hand and the rear wheel. Different modes alter how keenly the DCT changes up and down the gears, as well as giving different power, engine braking and traction control settings. In Rain or Standard mode the bike slides quickly to sixth for efficiency and smoothness, but in Sport mode on a winding B-road it hangs onto gears and changes down ratios exactly as you would yourself, with blipped downshifts. It’s like a posh two-way quickshifter.

Alternatively, you can select manual and flick about the ratios using well-placed buttons on the left switchgear. These can also be used to override the system in auto, should you be overwhelmed by a desire to suddenly click down three ratios.
Taipan

Re: MCN HONDA NSS750 FORZA (2021 - on) Review

Post by Taipan »

Such a shame it's chain drive. No good to me either way though as when I sat on one i couldn't find where to put my feet comfortably?
Skub

Post by Skub »

Chain drive.

Heavy. 235kgs.

Expensive. 10k.

If they are looking to move units Honda are taking a risk with this one.

That aside,it doesn't look any more fugly than any scooter and it sounds like there may be a bit of fun built in.

Might be a better buy freshly used.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I looked at one a few months back whilst shopping for a new bike.

Expensive, and waaay to heavy.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Having owned an X-ADV before it got nicked and this is much the same with a few more clothes they are a fun bike to ride. One of those kind of marmite machines but you really need to try it. I loved mine a few quibbles but nothing of real note. Plan to sell my Tracer 900 and buy one of these as a semi retirement pressie. Osteoarthritis has got the better of my hip joints and superscoots suit me better. Should be looking for one in may pre reg save a few quid so will do a post when I get it.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I might not want one myself but I'm glad that manufacturers are making these things.
Looks practical.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

Initially I thought ooh I'll look at that for the London commute. Then the above negative points came to mind and then I thought that this could be the bike jacker's prime choice in East London.

I'll stick to a real bike
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I can see where their going with these. Half bike half scooter. Nipping through the work traffic and then a bit of faster fun on the way home, it's definitely ticking a few boxes. But maybe not everybodys sunday blaster, but I could be wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
G.P

Post by G.P »

Looks good but I think I'd rather go for the existing X - ADV 750. Stupid weight (too much) Stupide price (Too much) but still looks like commuting fun.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:32 pm Looks good but I think I'd rather go for the existing X - ADV 750. Stupid weight (too much) Stupide price (Too much) but still looks like commuting fun.

If it can carry a laptop I'd have one if we ever went to the office again.
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:34 pm
If it can carry a laptop I'd have one if we ever went to the office again.
Yep, under seat, or of course a top box - you'd use an ally touratech style one on this as its an adventure bike! :D