New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Supermofo

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:57 pm Ridiculous.... i'd never do anything like that.

:)
I've been uming and ahing since last night. I really like the lid, but with the straps done up to the same tightness I can't feel the shark one, whereas the Shoei one at best is ok, but worse it really digs into the top of my adams apple. Probably not worth the gamble.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Shoei was posted back today and as I'd decided to buy a lid I've bought this. Hoping it fits like my current Shark as Helmet City don't do free returns, but my Arai, my current Shark and the Shoei all fit in Medium so fingers crossed.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:20 pm The Shoei was posted back today and as I'd decided to buy a lid I've bought this. Hoping it fits like my current Shark as Helmet City don't do free returns, but my Arai, my current Shark and the Shoei all fit in Medium so fingers crossed.

Nice that. Good darts
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:20 pm The Shoei was posted back today and as I'd decided to buy a lid I've bought this. Hoping it fits like my current Shark as Helmet City don't do free returns, but my Arai, my current Shark and the Shoei all fit in Medium so fingers crossed.

Nearly bought the same spartan myself but found a speed r carbon that was heavily discounted. Not worn it on the bike yet but first impressions are good.....everytime I pick it up I still can't believe how light it feels.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Scuffmark wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:24 pm

Nearly bought the same spartan myself but found a speed r carbon that was heavily discounted. Not worn it on the bike yet but first impressions are good.....everytime I pick it up I still can't believe how light it feels.
My current lid is a standard Speed R, been a good crash hat for me. I did try a carbon Spartan on a couple of years ago and yeah felt really light.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MRs Weeksy has been asking me about what i want for my 50th. I want something that's not just for a week, a month, a year, but something to keep and cherish.

My thoughts went back to the Haga, he was as i've said an iconic rider for me. So even when the helmet reached end of life from the context of helmet age, i could still keep it as a piece of memorabilia.

Image2021-03-11_11-59-21 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2021-03-11_11-59-17 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

But the opening is just too small. I can get my head in, but it's a proper proper squeeze to do so, both in and out. When it's on, it's not bad... but it's not £700+ keeper wonderful to me.

So sadly it's back in the box and we need plan B.
Skub

Post by Skub »

A size that fits?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:51 pmA size that fits?
That's as big as it gets mate. Weirdly i always used to be a Large, now i have to get an XL in everything. My head hasn't grown i'm sure, i'm not fatter, i don't have bigger ears... Bemused.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yesterday I thought I had new gear. Not worn it since the 17 pound loss and felt great. So much room to move about :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:01 pm
That's as big as it gets mate. Weirdly i always used to be a Large, now i have to get an XL in everything. My head hasn't grown i'm sure, i'm not fatter, i don't have bigger ears... Bemused.
Of all the gloves/jackets/boots that now seem to be random sizings,Arai have always been a constant with me. I'm a medium. I really hope they aren't going to play silly buggers now too. :thumbdown:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:48 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:01 pm
Of all the gloves/jackets/boots that now seem to be random sizings,Arai have always been a constant with me. I'm a medium. I really hope they aren't going to play silly buggers now too. :thumbdown:
LEts hope not.... I'm a bit fucking gutted in honesty... This was a super present for me this... i was massively looking forward to it, but thought we'd order it now just in case of it either being out of stock in Oct for my 50th or too small, which of course it was in the end.

I have absolutely no idea what Mrs Weeksy can get me now.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Not strictly bought, but I'm now the recipient of a full Rukka Nivala Gore Tex suit (I can't do the whole pic thing yet)

Wore the suit out on the job bike and it was very nice indeed. Stupidly expensive but the quality is absolutely way ahead of anything I've worn previously, textile wise. I have 6 weeks straight of bike courses lined up, so it's going to get a fair few miles of use this year. It's made my BKS leathers a bit redundant I think.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:04 pm MRs Weeksy has been asking me about what i want for my 50th. I want something that's not just for a week, a month, a year, but something to keep and cherish.

My thoughts went back to the Haga, he was as i've said an iconic rider for me. So even when the helmet reached end of life from the context of helmet age, i could still keep it as a piece of memorabilia.

But the opening is just too small. I can get my head in, but it's a proper proper squeeze to do so, both in and out. When it's on, it's not bad... but it's not £700+ keeper wonderful to me.

Buy a good lid that fits - NXR, X-Spirit and then have it painted to a Haga rep?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:25 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:04 pm MRs Weeksy has been asking me about what i want for my 50th. I want something that's not just for a week, a month, a year, but something to keep and cherish.

Buy a good lid that fits - NXR, X-Spirit and then have it painted to a Haga rep?
Nah, that's crazy talk
Horse

Post by Horse »

Nordboy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:01 pm Not strictly bought, but I'm now the recipient of a full Rukka Nivala Gore Tex suit (I can't do the whole pic thing yet)

Wore the suit out on the job bike and it was very nice indeed. Stupidly expensive
Blimey! The taxpayers like you ;) £2k full retail.

What CE level is it?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Nordboy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:01 pm Not strictly bought, but I'm now the recipient of a full Rukka Nivala Gore Tex suit (I can't do the whole pic thing yet)

Wore the suit out on the job bike and it was very nice indeed. Stupidly expensive but the quality is absolutely way ahead of anything I've worn previously, textile wise. I have 6 weeks straight of bike courses lined up, so it's going to get a fair few miles of use this year. It's made my BKS leathers a bit redundant I think.
After nearly 20 years of disappointing kit I finally stumped up the cash for Rukka Nivala, I should have done it sooner given I was doing between 10k-15k miles a year commuting. The irony is now I have the kit I mainly work from home.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Wore the suit out on the job bike and it was very nice indeed. Stupidly expensive
Blimey! The taxpayers like you ;) £2k full retail.

What CE level is it?
I have no idea what the CE level is, but it's very comfortable :lol:

We didn't pay full retail obviously (we ordered 4 suits in all) and we've had as a dept, a very good income generation year so it's my boss that's stumped up for them out of his end of year cash. He also very kindly got us Daytona Road Star gore tex boots (again stupidly expensive) and a nice matt blue Shoei Neotec 2. Felt like christmas ;)
fatgit

Post by fatgit »

Haga is also an iconic rider for me.
I have Haga RX7R Corsair (the blue and red one) which is old now but I’m keeping it as memorabilia
I went to a charity night in Northallerton a few years ago and the man himself was there so I had it autographed.
I keep meaning to put it on display in the house but can never decide on the best way of doing it.
I’ll get there one day

As an aside Arai in Large used to fit my like a glove but now they pinch my forehead.
I’ve swapped to Shoei XSpirit -recently bought a Kato rep.
Cheers
Steve
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/431284

Just ordered one of these for a try.

Whilst the NXR i have is great, the GT Air gets reviews of being one of if not the quietest helmet out on the market usually, so thought i'd give one a whirl. I've tried the Neotec2, the NXR, the XSpirit 3 .... So may as well complete the set and try the GT Air.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Held kit I ordered in early Feb still not arrived yet due to Brexit shipping issues.🤬
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."