Has age changed how you ride your bike

Anything you like about motorbikes
Noggin

Re: Has age changed how you ride your bike

Post by Noggin »

I'll let you know when I learn to ride again!! LOL :lol:

I didn't start riding till I was older than most of you. Got my first bike at almost 32. I did basically learn to ride on a Blackbird and had a couple of ex racers teach me to ride fast on the road - but less of the straight line speed and more how to be fast. Cornering fast was my favourite.

I don't cringe when I look back but I am very surprised that we made it through!! LOL

Given that I went from my peak skills ability to not having ridden (properly) for about 4 years, when I get to relearn, I know 100% that I'll be slow and careful for this summer (well, at least most of it). Also, I'm fully aware of the lacksidaisical attitude to roads, laws, driving and vehicles that is prevelent out here, I will be picking my moments to get back to how I was

I have three sports to try and master again - skiing, riding and snowboarding (I hadn't really 'mastered' snowboading pre accident). With all of these people seem to tail off, chill out, get more relaxed as they get older. I also want to learn Paragliding!!!

I still think I'm 35, so I'm hoping I can build up to a decent level without too much fear. But given the pain and trauma of the last 3.5 years, who knows??!! The bicycle accident had a much bigger mental effect on me, but that coupled with the pain of the years post motorbike crash, well, I fully accept I may well start riding like Miss Daisy - but I hope not!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm I did basically learn to ride on a Blackbird
That's a pretty steep learning curve. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 pm I did basically learn to ride on a Blackbird
That's a pretty steep learning curve. :thumbup:
LOL That was mentioned!! LOL I rode a ZZR600 for 5 months over the winter then got a Blackbird in the April (just after a trip to Le Mans on the ZZR!!). That was the summer I learnt to ride! Not the normal or even particularly sensible route, but it was bloody good fun :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 am Have I ever, I no longer consider going everywhere flat out normal, I generally stick to speed limits now.
I still find that I'm generally riding at about limit + 10%-15% (depends very much on circumstances), but I'm far less bothered if I'm not.

Falling off hurts, I don't want to do that any more. I'm also sick of having points on the licence. I think those two factors have calmed me down more than anything else.
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:12 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 am Have I ever, I no longer consider going everywhere flat out normal, I generally stick to speed limits now.
I still find that I'm generally riding at about limit + 10%-15% (depends very much on circumstances), but I'm far less bothered if I'm not.

Falling off hurts, I don't want to do that any more. I'm also sick of having points on the licence. I think those two factors have calmed me down more than anything else.

It's the points here that will keep me calm (whilst I find the roads that don't have cameras or speed traps!!). And the vertical drops on the 'fun' roads!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I'm a much better rider than I was, but I'm a lot slower, for one, I know that if I do get hurt, I won't heal as quick, plus I need my licence for work. I stopped riding really quickly when I realized how fast I rode was connected to how much I wanted to make it home in one piece.

I have big bikes, and still have my old wheelie machine GSXR1100 buy I can say I honestly get as much enjoyment on my CBF125 these days.

However, in town I automatically revert to courier mode, still quick and mental around the city centre.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:12 pm

When I was under 35 I didn't really notice near misses, I ignored them and got on with riding at stupid speeds, I really started noticing them in 2003 (age 36) and when a corner tightened up unexpectedly on me (I was on a 2002 GSXR750 at a serious speed somewhere in Nottinghamshire) I ended up on the wrong side of the road, if something had been coming the other way I'd have been dead.

As I've got older my reaction times have increased, also I no longer seem to react instinctively to the unexpected, I have to think what to do when the unexpected happens, for this reason all my fast riding will now be on track, as the unexpected rarely happens in front of you (you can tell when someone is going to fall off well in advance in Novice group), there's nothing you can do to stop some idiot piling into the back of you apart from ride faster.
Honda Owner
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I didn't start riding till age 41, so the years of feeling invincible that many have mentioned never applied. I've also been pretty cautious in any case. I don't think my riding has changed much over the years. I'm probably a bit slower and more cautious in London - although I don't commute any more, so maybe not a fair comparison. I'm a bit quicker on the open road if I want to be than I was, but that's from training/experience. When I say quicker I'm still slow by the standards of some of you guys. I rarely go over the speed limit by more than a few mph, for example. Boring? Not for me. I get my pleasure from, firstly, just getting out and about, and secondly, trying to practise the art of riding well, as it were.

Can barely wait to get back into it.
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

After a big off in 2005 when I was very lucky to walk away with only bruises and a broken bone in my hand, but wrote off my 2 month old CBR6 and a Toyota, I learned a valuable lesson.
Having ridden for about 15yrs I had a perception of my ability that was greater than my actual skill level.

My perception was based on when riding regularly. But due to renovating a house, getting married etc I wasn’t riding anywhere near the same amount and my skills were lacking, whereas in my mind I was still at the level of those earlier times.

Alongside this I felt that the modern race rep machines were so well designed that they had performance beyond my capabilities to explore. Most rides were frustrating, I rarely had a feeling of getting the best of the bike or finding the edge of it’s performance, like the early days.

Add the change in public attitude to speeding and ‘exiting’ riding, the fact that +130 today could see you locked up.

So today like many above my riding is far more sedate, I am more aware of my limits and enjoy the simple fact I am out on my bike, no longer do I need to prove anything to myself or anyone else.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Ironically when I needed a licence for my work I used to rlac.

Nowadays I tend to keep it in Band B where I can afford up to 6 points without it bothering me too much (surprisingly I’ve got a clean licence)
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:08 pm I really started noticing them in 2003 (age 36) and when a corner tightened up unexpectedly on me (I was on a 2002 GSXR750 at a serious speed somewhere in Nottinghamshire) I ended up on the wrong side of the road, if something had been coming the other way I'd have been dead.
I remember talking to someone a while ago and he was quite happy at admit he crossed the white line regularly on exiting left handers. He didn’t seem to think much of it.

I can’t say I’ve never done it, but I wouldn’t have to use two hands to count the number of times in a couple of 100k of riding. And each time is engraved on my memory.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

My job, the training and experience riding quickly on the road changed how I ride, rather than my age. I’m actually a much safer, better and quicker rider now, than I was when i used to RLAC, which I just can’t do anymore! Probably no bad thing mind you.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Scotsrich wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm Ironically when I needed a licence for my work I used to rlac.

Nowadays I tend to keep it in Band B where I can afford up to 6 points without it bothering me too much (surprisingly I’ve got a clean licence)
That has also changed how i ride now as in my role as an instructor i am allowed 3 points, thats it. If i get any ban, even for a week, i lose my instructors ticket.....forever :wtf:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:24 pm
Scotsrich wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm Ironically when I needed a licence for my work I used to rlac.

That has also changed how i ride now as in my role as an instructor i am allowed 3 points, thats it. If i get any ban, even for a week, i lose my instructors ticket.....forever :wtf:
Blimey.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:24 pm
Is it true you only get one shot at the instructor test? My wife's uncle was looking (ages ago) at becoming a driving instructor but that aspect of it put him off, or so he says.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:51 am

Is it true you only get one shot at the instructor test? My wife's uncle was looking (ages ago) at becoming a driving instructor but that aspect of it put him off, or so he says.
For my full CBT ticket I get 2 shots at it but after that I can’t try again for a couple of years.

I believe it’s the same for driving instructor but don’t quote me on it. My dad was a driving instructor before he retired and I don’t recall him saying it was a one shot attempt. I know he got through first time but you are assessed every few years as a “standards check” where you can lose the ticket
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

As a 59 year old I have to say my riding has slowed down a lot over the years.
One occasion last summer made me realise how much I have slowed down.Using my 675R for comuting one sunday afternoon & a pair of boy racers came flying past so I thought time for some fun,opened up the Streety & just sat behind them,but when the speed got to a certain point I thought WTF why are you riding at this speed? I'm in my workwear, if anything goes wrong it's going to get messy & if I get pulled I'm not sure I'll keep my licence,you're acting like an idiot. I slowed down & thought 'You're getting to old for this stuff'..
On the Mountain bike side of things I had a proper big crash at Les Arcs 5 years ago & came to the same conclusion.
Now the blue runs at Antur Stinniog are as 'rad' as I get,I just don't bounce like I used to.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:51 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:51 am

For my full CBT ticket I get 2 shots at it but after that I can’t try again for a couple of years.

I believe it’s the same for driving instructor but don’t quote me on it. My dad was a driving instructor before he retired and I don’t recall him saying it was a one shot attempt. I know he got through first time but you are assessed every few years as a “standards check” where you can lose the ticket
Strangely my job now requires me to be an ADI, which is quite a long way from what I do day to day. Anyway, points wise, there's only a guide stating that people have had applications refused or removed from the register after gaining 5 points. But you'll obviously be removed after disqualification, and you can't reapply for 4 years.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Nordboy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:53 pm
Strangely my job now requires me to be an ADI, which is quite a long way from what I do day to day. Anyway, points wise, there's only a guide stating that people have had applications refused or removed from the register after gaining 5 points. But you'll obviously be removed after disqualification, and you can't reapply for 4 years.
I am guessing the guide you refer to is what i was told about a single 3 point ticket being tolerated but anything more than that will be removal from the register. I wasnt aware of the 4 year thing for a disqualification and have been sat in court when a bike instructor was being sentenced for a brief blat for a few seconds over the 100 mph mark. Even the prosecuting solicitor said it was only recorded for a few seconds then dropped back down again. The bloke stood in the dock and told the magistrates he would lose his livelihood and be unable to pay his mortgage if they banned him and wouldnt be able to get it back again and had never had so much as a speeding ticket in his life. They still banned him for 28 days

The next case was an unemployed scrote with a string of convictions and 6 points already on his license done for 75 mph in a 40. Defence said he needed his license to get to job interviews and shouldnt be banned, The magistrates gave him 5 points to keep him under the totting up level and wished him luck in his search for a job.

I walked out the court at that point before i got done for contempt of court as i was seething
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm
I am guessing the guide you refer to is what i was told about a single 3 point ticket being tolerated but anything more than that will be removal from the register. I wasnt aware of the 4 year thing for a disqualification and have been sat in court when a bike instructor was being sentenced for a brief blat for a few seconds over the 100 mph mark. Even the prosecuting solicitor said it was only recorded for a few seconds then dropped back down again. The bloke stood in the dock and told the magistrates he would lose his livelihood and be unable to pay his mortgage if they banned him and wouldnt be able to get it back again and had never had so much as a speeding ticket in his life. They still banned him for 28 days

The next case was an unemployed scrote with a string of convictions and 6 points already on his license done for 75 mph in a 40. Defence said he needed his license to get to job interviews and shouldnt be banned, The magistrates gave him 5 points to keep him under the totting up level and wished him luck in his search for a job.

I walked out the court at that point before i got done for contempt of court as i was seething
I think it's the 100mph thing they can't get their head around. They'll have been in a car doing 80mph on the motorway,no doubt,so the 75 figure doesn't sound out of this world. A hundred miles per hour on a two wheeled vehicle will sound ridiculously dangerous,they've probably never been there.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955