Bike sounds you love.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Bike sounds you love.

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Having been to both several times, I'd say the old F1 cars were louder...loads and loads louder, pretty much verging into unpleasant when they all come past together even with earplugs. The post 2014 Turbo F1 is much much quieter and doesn't even sound like F1 IMO.

I remember sitting in a portaloo at the end of the long straight at Spa during F1 practice, right at the point just before they lift off. The sound was loud enough to make the door move in its hinges.

Still not the loudest I've heard though, that prize goes to drag car that made my vision blur...not sure of the decibels but above certain volumes your eyeballs vibrate. :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

After working on a bike, the glug and slosh of fresh premix going into the tank.
The gentle "tap" sound of the choke plunger being pulled up. followed by gently easing the kickstart so the piston "shushes" past top dead centre, the slight "tac" as the kicker returns to its highest point, ready to decend.
Then with a motocross boot on decending on the lever with gusto and with luck BRANG TANG TANG as it fires.

It sounds like all hell breaking loose, the KIPS valve rattles a bit (they all do that sir) but after working on a bike for a while even a nasty sounding 500 twostroke single sounds great if it runs.
Plus all the people up the road get a whiff of Comp 2, lucky bastards eh?

Any other bike sounds good if its been in bits for a while and now works.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Triple engine on a race pipe. Sounds glorious! Sings God Save the Queen (Triumph one does anyhow).
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Have to say standing at the start of a MX race when they revved the nuts off the bikes and everyone was deafened by the cacophony of expansion chambers and then disappeared into a delicious haze of Castrol R30 was pretty damn special! :banana-dance: 8-)
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Noisiest man made vehicle award I think goes to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_ ... derscreech

Apparently when testing the prototypes could be heard 25 miles away!
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:19 pm Noisiest man made vehicle award I think goes to this:

Picture of a picture sadly, although I do have the colour original somewhere.

That's my FiL sat on the tail under the XR number. Pretty much everything you said to him was followed by "pardon?". I wonder why. :D

He also described his Bonneville (which I now ride) as "not that loud". Its on completely open exhausts and sets off car alarms on a regular basis. I suppose compared to his day job is isn't that loud.

lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Both MotoGP and F1 run at around 130db*. So noisy with a capital F.

Trust me - you really can't tell the difference between 125 and 130db when you're stood next to it - it's ear splittingly loud, even with ear defenders on.

Old school F1 was up at around 145db. Which given how the db scale works is an enormous amount louder - something like double the noise.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

145db is more than 30 times louder than 130db, such is the oddness of decibels. You'd struggle to quantity that purely through perception though.
Skub

Post by Skub »

120db is the threshold of pain,innit?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Having heard this supposedly 145db F1 noise I would say "yeah probably". Its a properly dentist drill high pitch sound too :D

The aforementioned dragster was quite funny though, my mate and I were stood behind it at RWYB day waiting our turn. We both had crash helmets on, but when it set off we both cartoonishly clapped our hands to our ears, such was the volume. Doesn't make much difference through a helmet!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:07 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:19 pm Noisiest man made vehicle award I think goes to this:

Picture of a picture sadly, although I do have the colour original somewhere.

That's my FiL sat on the tail under the XR number. Pretty much everything you said to him was followed by "pardon?". I wonder why. :D

He also described his Bonneville (which I now ride) as "not that loud". Its on completely open exhausts and sets off car alarms on a regular basis. I suppose compared to his day job is isn't that loud.

I grew up close to RAF Wattisham, I don't remember the Lightnings being that loud (for Mach 2 jet fighters), I'd say the Phantoms that replaced them were louder and the F15s from Lakenheath are definitely louder, I think the loudest aircraft that used to visit Wattisham were F111s, which used to take off on full reheat.

The best sounding jet fighter is the Hawker Hunter, which has a very distinctive howl.
Honda Owner
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Currently the loudest ones that fly over where I'm working in the lakes are the Typhoons, the F15s seem a good bit quieter to me.
None of them sound "Good" to me.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Typhoons must be loud if F15s seem quiet.
I'd much rather have jet fighters flying overhead than passenger aircraft, a jet fighter whizzes by and is gone quickly, passenger jets fly slow and high so you hear them for ages, a good thing about Covid is the reduced flights over our house, we can actually hear birds singing etc. and I don't live near an airport, the nearest is Stanstead about 60 miles away, but the lovely people who allocate where air traffic go decided that the people of Ipswich deserved to have aircraft constantly flying overhead.
Honda Owner
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm
The best sounding jet fighter is the Hawker Hunter, which has a very distinctive howl.
The Blue Note.

https://youtu.be/Z_IAl-bTfVI
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Would it be controversial to say "a nice quiet exhaust at 3am"?

OK, thought so.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm
I grew up close to RAF Wattisham, I don't remember the Lightnings being that loud (for Mach 2 jet fighters), I'd say the Phantoms that replaced them were louder and the F15s from Lakenheath are definitely louder, I think the loudest aircraft that used to visit Wattisham were F111s, which used to take off on full reheat.
I'd guess they're all a bit feeble when they're flying 1000ft above you compared to being sat 6ft from the engine with your head jammed into a small inspection panel. :D