Beat cheap ish bike for commuting

Anything you like about motorbikes
the_priest

Re: Beat cheap ish bike for commuting

Post by the_priest »

I had the NC700 DCT for 3 1/2 years. Only sold it as I no longer needed a commuter. The only thing that went wrong was the gear change pin, but it was a known fault. The "upgraded" pin was £10 and a local mechanic sorted it in a couple of hours. The rest was just pads, oil changes at 8k and tyres. PR5's suited it well and lasted. Literally, put in fuel and ride it. I'd manage 180miles a tank and have a good reserve in hand. Literally the easiest riding bike I've ever had. Sports mode does make it more "snappy". It is a perfect London weapon, nice height and low weight made it a doddle to ride.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

If I were still commuting into London I'd use an e-bike (bicycle). I'm amazed at how good the one I bought in December https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/electric- ... R-p-169143is. Sadly it's gone up from £999 to £1300 now - couldn't possibly be Brexit, surely?

Love or hate what TfL have done to London's road transport system, the fact is that commuting by bicycle is a lot easier than on a PTW. You can use the plethora of cycle lanes, plus one way streets where there's a contra flow cycle lane. Also, as Mussels said, the riverside paths. I went for a potter around the City yesterday, and lost count of the 'except cycles' signs I saw. I'm not that fit these days, and nor is my wife, but we did an 18 mile round trip without feeling especially tired.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Problem with an E-bike is that 30 miles a day is a big commitment, ive got a kid due in May and do 55/60 hours a week at work, some nights ill finish at 23.30pm, and not sure if 15/24km each may might be too extreme, google maps is saying that route would take 1hr 24 mins normally, how much quicker would an E-bike be??? . I really like the idea of it but also I like the idea of jumping on a bike at night and coming home down the A3. But saying that I could always get to Waterloo/Victoria at night and get the train most of the way home or close depending on trains and what's quicker.

great thing is I won't be committed to 1 type of travel as when the wife returns to work ill be in the car some mornings.

so its a Honda NC700 DCT / Electric cycle (but a nice one) CB500x (liked them for ages)
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I have recently bought a new CB500F.
Cracking little bike, and VERY frugal. tank is small, but range is well over 200 miles.

Downside for commuting, like all FI bikes, the mapping is designed for low emissions rather than rideability. Depending on traffic on your commute that may be an issue
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

I used to use a Honda NX650, or to give it its more common but strangley inappropriate name, Dominator.
Simple as a nail.
Pretty winter proof.
High enough to see over traffic.
Nimble and fun at commuter speed.
Could also be used for a bit of mild off-roading.
Cost less than a new push bike, used. Mind you that was when used bikes were cheap.
So if it was me, I'd be looking for a cheap mid-sized adventure bike, or dual sport as they used to call them.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

If I were doing that trip it would have to be a SuperScoot such as a Burgman, Sh300 etc.
I had an Aprilia Atlantic for a while, 500cc single, 100mph. Was quick and actually a bit of fun, huge amount of protection from the weather etc. If only it were a little more reliable I'd have kept it....
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

formula400 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 am Problem with an E-bike is that 30 miles a day is a big commitment, ive got a kid due in May and do 55/60 hours a week at work, some nights ill finish at 23.30pm, and not sure if 15/24km each may might be too extreme, google maps is saying that route would take 1hr 24 mins normally, how much quicker would an E-bike be??? . I really like the idea of it but also I like the idea of jumping on a bike at night and coming home down the A3. But saying that I could always get to Waterloo/Victoria at night and get the train most of the way home or close depending on trains and what's quicker.

great thing is I won't be committed to 1 type of travel as when the wife returns to work ill be in the car some mornings.

so its a Honda NC700 DCT / Electric cycle (but a nice one) CB500x (liked them for ages)
It took me about an hour to do the 15 mile ride on the e-bike, sounds slow but with all of the junctions and traffic lights in London that's not bad. Occasionally I really didn't feel like it but then the motor would do most of the work even over Shooters hill that I could coast down way over the speed limit, mine were built under the old rules so had fully functional throttles which may have made things better.
It's not as cheap as you'd expect, I did a lot of maintenance on the bike bits and getting a Nexus hub made life much easier. I went for balloon tyres for comfort and to minimise the damage done on bumpy roads - it really stresses metal parts over time.
So it's slightly slower and not hugely cheaper than the alternatives, I stuck with it because it was more enjoyable until I moved 50 miles away and it became impractical. All depends how much you enjoy cycling.

The early mornings / late night make things different for you and I might have stuck with a motorbike then as the low traffic makes life easier.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:56 pm I think people always said the old single cylinder BMW F650GS was really cheap to run.
The original Funduro was also one of the two worst bikes I ever rode.

Later models are much better, but still massively overweight. The old NX650 Dominator was a better bike.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:25 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:56 pm I think people always said the old single cylinder BMW F650GS was really cheap to run.

Later models are much better, but still massively overweight. The old NX650 Dominator was a better bike.
Haha, what was the other one?

I had a Dominator and it was a nice bike to ride but not that good one fuel. And they must all be pretty ancient now.

I didn't mean the Funduro but the F650GS, the one which came out in about 2000. I suspect it's not what the OP is after however.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The wife can get 60mpg out of her 700GS (twin), but she rides like a girl.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I can get 60mpg out of my 2 litre car and I drive like a cvnt.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:37 am I can get 60mpg out of my 2 litre car and I drive like a cvnt.
But it's a baby murdering diesel!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That's what makes me a cvnt.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Asian Boss wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:20 am

I had a Dominator and it was a nice bike to ride but not that good one fuel. And they must all be pretty ancient now.

I didn't mean the Funduro but the F650GS, the one which came out in about 2000. I suspect it's not what the OP is after however.
The twin spark single F650GS was a good bike, faster than you'd think too. The engine smoothes out nicely over about 90.
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:48 am The twin spark single F650GS was a good bike, faster than you'd think too. The engine smoothes out nicely over about 90.
Unlike the twin that replaced it, which is buzzy as fuck in the top 1/4 of the rev range.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:53 am
Rockburner wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:48 am The twin spark single F650GS was a good bike, faster than you'd think too. The engine smoothes out nicely over about 90.
Unlike the twin that replaced it, which is buzzy as fuck in the top 1/4 of the rev range.
And horrendously under powered (imo)
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

#Same here. Brackens the old KTM dealer hired me one whilst they fixed the "chocolate clutch bearing of doom" on my LC4. I remember thinking, what a gutless barge of a thing it was. I had a CB600 detuned Hornet thing from Dobles once, that was equally as disappointing.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Got a mate looking to sell a Transalp shortly if that's of interest?
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:27 am Got a mate looking to sell a Transalp shortly if that's of interest?
not quite ready yet, plus I think its either Honda NCT or a cb500. cheers though
CBR650r :mrgreen: