Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Looks like pink to me :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Bigyin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 pm Day 3 of bathroom renovation project ..... nearly done :thumbup:
What shade of pink?
Its called copper red wall panelling ..... this pic is from the company website as its easier than trying to explain

If you haven’t installed the panels yet, get some of this

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-4m-Show ... t/p/230318

Amazon sell it under the Home Store brand, it sticks like shit to a blanket and helps stop water tracking behind the panels, I siliconed the bottom as well using these to get a neat finish

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... lsrc=aw.ds

:)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Bigyin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 pm Day 3 of bathroom renovation project ..... nearly done :thumbup:
What shade of pink?
Its called copper red wall panelling ..... this pic is from the company website as its easier than trying to explain

I like the idea of panelling, instead of tiles. Where did you get it from?
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

When I did ours, I got everything from National Plastics, the advice I was given was to get the 1m wide panels as there are fewer joins and they look neater IMO.

They are just stuck to the walls and into the trims.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:28 pm When I did ours, I got everything from National Plastics, the advice I was given was to get the 1m wide panels as there are fewer joins and they look neater IMO.

I sort of want to do this in my shower room, cos it's tiny and would be more simple I think

Just got to track down a supplier out here. And find a bright and cheerful colour - cos it's way too tiny for that sort of dark wall colour!! LOL

Kind of a shame cos I do love tiling :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:28 pm When I did ours, I got everything from National Plastics, the advice I was given was to get the 1m wide panels as there are fewer joins and they look neater IMO.

How flexible are the panels? I need to do my wet room soon and I'll have to bend them to get round the corner into the bathroom.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:01 pm

If you haven’t installed the panels yet, get some of this

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-4m-Show ... t/p/230318

Amazon sell it under the Home Store brand, it sticks like shit to a blanket and helps stop water tracking behind the panels, I siliconed the bottom as well using these to get a neat finish

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... lsrc=aw.ds

:)
Already installed over the weekend mate and yes i have done a small sealant bead top and bottom as well to try and keep out moisture. I got the 1M wide ones that interlock
Taipan wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:15 pm
I like the idea of panelling, instead of tiles. Where did you get it from?
Company in Yorkshire called rather unimaginatively "panelcompany.co.uk" Order placed and delivered by the company who drove down in their own van to drop off 3 panels, all trims and grab adhesive i ordered rather than sending by DPD. I found same panels elsewhere costing more plus delivery. This lot did free delivery :thumbup:
Mussels wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 pm
How flexible are the panels? I need to do my wet room soon and I'll have to bend them to get round the corner into the bathroom.
The ones i got barely flex at all and getting them into the corners as they interlock was a pain in the arse but doable ...just

They are large 2M 40 by 1M wide so you need room to work with them.

I'll bang some pics over on the DIY/Shed forum once i have some time and its all finished in next couple of days as tomorrow is cutting up a 2M oak worktop into many pieces and hopefully plumbing in sink and taps :thumbup:
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Mussels wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:41 pm

The ones I used are 1m wide, 2.4m tall and had some flex (around 12mm thick) but I wouldn’t call them flexible...

They do come in different widths and if you went with something white based, you could always use liquid plastic (Stelmax 1961 Gap Filler) to weld them together in situ to prevent leaks. I’ve got one join (well away from the shower) and 2 internal corners (floor to top bead) so less worried about leaks).

Having seen yin’s post now, the ones I used also interlocked on the join but had to be bonded into the corner beads. We ended up with a spare sheet (decided against having the join dead centre) so had enough left to make a shelving / cubby hole unit for the remote valves and the 3,000 bottles of fuck knows what the Mrs has in the shower!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Hmm, I think I'll need to get some narrow enough to go in through the window. And must remember to tell the neighbours to duck.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 pm

The ones I used are 1m wide, 2.4m tall and had some flex (around 12mm thick) but I wouldn’t call them flexible...

They do come in different widths and if you went with something white based, you could always use liquid plastic (Stelmax 1961 Gap Filler) to weld them together in situ to prevent leaks. I’ve got one join (well away from the shower) and 2 internal corners (floor to top bead) so less worried about leaks).

Having seen yin’s post now, the ones I used also interlocked on the join but had to be bonded into the corner beads. We ended up with a spare sheet (decided against having the join dead centre) so had enough left to make a shelving / cubby hole unit for the remote valves and the 3,000 bottles of fuck knows what the Mrs has in the shower!
I used the same size panels and the shower area is one panel per wall sealed top and bottom with their specified corner trim to mount it so no joins within the main water area which was 900 X 760 so well within the 1000 of each panel. The only joins i have were because i extended it along the window wall so a few cuts and joins there around the window reveals but kept them to a minimum where i could. I bought 2 panels to cover the main wet area completely and a third to be cut up for all the other bits i wanted to keep the same colour along that wall and had some left over :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had a ying/yang of a day.

This morning I got the news that my step Dad had to put his little dog to sleep. When my Mum was alive she loved the little dog to bits and after she died, he has loved and looked after the dog like she would have. He said looking after the dog is the last thing he could do for her and now there is nothing left. He is very upset, which isn't his character at all. Sad. :( :thumbdown:

The good side of the day was I asked on FB where to buy stainless ballustrade/handrail with the wires going through it. I like the look of them and want to make up two of these for going up the 2 steps to my front door. I'm such a nice person that they are now being made up and installed for free! :) :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:40 pm This morning I got the news that my step Dad had to put his little dog to sleep. When my Mum was alive she loved the little dog to bits and after she died, he has loved and looked after the dog like she would have. He said looking after the dog is the last thing he could do for her and now there is nothing left. He is very upset, which isn't his character at all. Sad. :( :thumbdown:
Pet deaths can reopen old wounds.

When I was 12 and a few months after my mother died my dog took sick and died. I vividly remember my Da with the tears running down his face saying to the dog,"you're not going to leave us too,are you"?

It's just another part of what was a good time that's gone for your stepdad.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yesterday I got the paperwork to keep my health insurance for another year. The deadline is next Wednesday. I dropped by the office this morning & discovered that the person who takes care of this has been fired & is unlikely to be replaced until sometime in April at the earliest.

Anyone else see a slight problem with this?

I did actually see the guy at his office in January & was told "no need to do anything until March".. He was fired on Feb 26th.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bigyin wrote: I'll bang some pics over on the DIY/Shed forum once i have some time and its all finished in next couple of days as tomorrow is cutting up a 2M oak worktop into many pieces and hopefully plumbing in sink and taps :thumbup:
For those that were asking the pics are here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2283
Skub

Post by Skub »

Cut the grass front and rear and ditto with next door.

First cut of the year and heavy/wet going. I'll be fuckerated tomorrow.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Had a phone call from the insurance company that covers my Fazer 600 for instructing asking if i had done any training in the last few weeks so i replied as politely as i could that due to the national lock down funnily enough, no i hadnt.

I was then told that the underwriter had withdrawn business cover a few weeks ago so if i had been working i would have been uninsured...nice. They have moved me to a new underwriter so i have valid business cover but i have lost 4 months NCD as its a new policy starting again from now instead of last Oct. But fortunately as the cock up wasnt down to me the additional premium for the more expensive provider has been swallowed by the insurance company.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Logged onto our HR system at work and realised that yesterday was the 24-year anniversary of me joining my current employer.

24 years!! :o Man and boy. 'Ardest game in the book. Seen more changes than you've 'ad 'ot dinners. They don't realise how easy they 'ave it these days. Ad infinitum.....

One more year and I get given a half-decent watch and a nice dinner with the big boss (global pandemics permitting). I'll be 52 by then and a good time to have a serious think about my options going forward.

Until then, join me in a bitter-sweet round of teas and coffees as we contemplate what I could have achieved in 24 years other than sitting at a desk. ;)
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

gremlin wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 am Logged onto our HR system at work and realised that yesterday was the 24-year anniversary of me joining my current employer.

24 years!! :o Man and boy. 'Ardest game in the book. Seen more changes than you've 'ad 'ot dinners. They don't realise how easy they 'ave it these days. Ad infinitum.....

One more year and I get given a half-decent watch and a nice dinner with the big boss (global pandemics permitting). I'll be 52 by then and a good time to have a serious think about my options going forward.

Until then, join me in a bitter-sweet round of teas and coffees as we contemplate what I could have achieved in 24 years other than sitting at a desk. ;)
Did you get a paid sabbatical at 20? We do, 6 weeks and you can buy more annual leave and tag it on <very smug grin>. I've got three years to go (I think) and would like to spend it touring.
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

I got made redundant for 25 years long service :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:47 am

Did you get a paid sabbatical at 20? We do, 6 weeks and you can buy more annual leave and tag it on <very smug grin>. I've got three years to go (I think) and would like to spend it touring.
Didn't get a by-your-leave or kiss-my-arse at 20 years. :)

Where I work is very different now from when I join. Back then it was a small investment bank with a few high net worth individuals. Now it's a retail bank, trying desperately hard to be different in a sea of other banks. In order to grow, it's had to recruit a load of retail bankers who are the dullest of the dull yes-men and corporate ladder climbers to a man/woman/non binary*.

Thank fuck in the dealing room we can close the door on all that shit, although there is a deep mistrust of anything with a whiff of the treasury about it, so I think the room's days are numbered, just like mine. :o

*If nothing else the D&I training has made an impact. :thumbup: