Yet another new bike, yet another Himalayan

Anything you like about motorbikes
niggle

Yet another new bike, yet another Himalayan

Post by niggle »

So for about the first time ever I am bang on trend, because I am buying a brand new bike that is actually quite popular. I bought the white one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DECEMBER-202 ... SwvuhgK4Ea.

I am as sure as I can be that the bike will work for me, as someone who has spent 50% of my riding career on 2 smoke 250-300cc MZs including lots of camping weekends away etc., so the Enfield’s performance should not bother me, particularly as I avoid motorways and duel cabbageways as much as possible. Also I wanted something that has the capability for gravel & dirt roads for which the CB500 I was intending to use was not really suitable.

The grey geometric camo paint job maybe looks cooler but I don’t like the military undertones and can’t imagine how you could touch up any bigger scratches or dings in the tank. The plain white also looks like a nice background for personalising with graphics or stickers etc. I am in the process of getting quotes for transportation from Derbyshire to Cornwall, so not sure yet when it will be arriving.

I have a set of Oxford Touring heated grips to go on and have ordered a Givi 42l alu top box and plate from SportsBikeShop:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/401717
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/212277

They didn’t have the Givi rack (more of a rack reinforcing kit for the OEM rack) so ordered the best price I could find which was from Italy via eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143341779974

Other mods/additions will definitely include some handguards mainly for wind deflection, but will need to be really robust so thinking Acerbis with the full wrap around alloy brackets but have not worked out which model is the best for my needs. A taller screen is likely to be needed from what owners are saying on line about buffeting but I will wait until I have had a go with the OEM one first. Eventually will come suitably tough soft panniers and tank bag plus I need to look into installing a good USB power outlet in the cockpit.

I am going with the hard top case and soft panniers combo as the top case will stay on the bike permanently but the panniers will mainly be for touring. The top case will be the place for expensive and vital stuff on tour.

Any suggestions for any of the gear that I have not yet purchased will be much appreciated.
Whysub

Re: Yet another new bike, yet another Himalayan

Post by Whysub »

I have a Himalayan (also in white) that I've done 10,000 miles on without issue, mostly on back roads, gravel and dirt tracks.

So, down to answering you questions!

I did have Lomo soft panniers for when I went on trips, but ditched them as I found I preferred a roll bag rokstrapped to the pillion seat. Have a top box mainly for keeping my documents (a legal requirement here) and helmet in when parked up. I am aware of racks fracturing, but in the handbook it states that the loading in 5kg. Many owners forget a top box can weigh 2kg, and so the 5kg is easily exceeded. I will get some triangular webs welded to mine soon, although I don't think I have got near the weight limit. I also have Lomo bags on the racks by the tank. In these are various tools, chain lube, oil, a spare inner tyre, a jump pack which I use mainly for charging my phones off of the bike, and a high viz vest (legal requirement). Loaded up they also offer a bit more protection for the bike in a slow off road drop.

The standard battery isn't great, and despite living in a warm climate, I killed mine by attaching a USB that must have caused a parasitic drain. I now have an Optimate charger lead fitted and plug their 12v charging socket into that when its needed. The TomTom sat nav charging lead doesn't seem to drain the battery (I fitted a Yuasa replacement).

I fitted bar risers (from Cooperb) as it made my standing up a bit straighter, but some riders don't like them as it moves the riders weight further back. I've not noticed that, but I'm no skinny lightweight.

I've not got handguards, as I honestly don't like them. I have dropped the bike a few times off road, but they only resulted in taking the paint off of the bar end weights and scuffed the lever ends a bit. Make sure those you fit don't foul the screen on full lock, as some brands do. As for the screen, some riders report they experience buffering at speed, but I haven't. The cures seems to be an aftermarket screen, different mirrors, or decent earplugs!

Some riders have fitted Powertronic box to smooth out the running and gain a little more torque, but I'm not convinced it is necessary, but I'd have to ride a kitted one back to back with mine to see the difference.

I have put in a simple in-line switch to turn off the ABS when on gravel, which does make a difference. I used to just pull the fuse, but when back in tarmac I like the abs.

I find the brakes ok, not brilliant, but not bad, I just adjust my brain when riding to account for them. They are not the brakes experienced on Sportsbikes. Some find a change of pads help, but I've not had any issue.

Some riders find the standard seat uncomfortable. Many will spend over £150 on an aftermarket seat, trusting it will be more comfortable without being able to try before they buy. Not me, so I experimented making mine a bit more comfortable. Bought a 3mm sheet of gel from ebay , cut it to shape, then put a sheepskin over the top. 350 mile days are possible now, although I don't start getting uncomfortable at around 300, so restrict my riding to 250 on any day, so sorted.

I've no need for heated grips out here, but I do have a heated vest that I can plug into the Optimate lead, but only needed to do that once early one morning in the Pyranees when it was 3°c.

Plenty of good advice from Nathanthe postman on YouTube, and also a lot of information on the Himalayan thread on ADVriders.com

I have read of some owners who sold their bikes after a few hundred miles as "it wasnt for them" but it takes 1.500 to 2,000 miles for the bike to feel run in. And as you have done your research, I'm sure you won't be amongst them.
20210228_122754.jpg
20210228_122754.jpg (720.39 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
niggle

Post by niggle »

Thanks Whysub, very helpful info.

Re battery drain I will use a relay switched by the ignition for any added electricals, which I would hope will avoid the issue.

Re handguards I bought a used Burgman 400 which had factory ones fitted and I thought they were brilliant combined with heated grips.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Also yes I have heard the seat is on the soft side, I will assess it on some longer UK rides, but adding stuff on top would not be optimal for me as I am a short arse. Apparently the updated 2021 model has a firmer seat, so might be worth checking out the cost to swap if it gets good reviews. Either that or strip off the upholstery of the standard one and replace foam with something firmer, and cover it with something more robust in the process.

I have seen various engine protection bars fitted, but would only consider if there is a risk of doing real damage on dropping it as I don’t want to add unnecessary weight.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I reckon RE have hit on a massive gap in the market with all their models, they make bikes for people that just like bikes and want something reliable and fun to ride.

My mate has a couple of Himalayans and loves them.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I still can't reconcile myself to a touring bike with 20bhp. On any trip, you are often going to need to sit on a dual carriageway or motorway to get some miles in to enjoy your destination area, I want to be able to sit at 120-130kph on the autoroute..
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

G.P wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:12 pm I still can't reconcile myself to a touring bike with 20bhp. On any trip, you are often going to need to sit on a dual carriageway or motorway to get some miles in to enjoy your destination area, I want to be able to sit at 120-130kph on the autoroute..
Fucking hooligan :(
G.P

Post by G.P »

Yorick wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:33 pm
G.P wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:12 pm I still can't reconcile myself to a touring bike with 20bhp. On any trip, you are often going to need to sit on a dual carriageway or motorway to get some miles in to enjoy your destination area, I want to be able to sit at 120-130kph on the autoroute..
Fucking hooligan :(
Just don't want to be trampled to death by the daily traffic ;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

On my 'slow' bike I specifically plan my route to avoid stuff like dual carriageways, my Enfield keeps up well with traffic on the roads I ride it on :)

But I aint never going to go touring on the thing.

I hit 120mph today on the parkway with the wife on the back, on the BRB.

Everyone needs at least three bikes for different types of roads and riding.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:44 pm Everyone needs at least three bikes for different types of roads and riding.
Totally agree. So do my three bikes...
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I feel sorry for those who have to compromise and have a single do everything bike... tho saying that, it's a great excuse to buy a Multistrada :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think the people that buy these bikes are all about the journey, not the destination ;)
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I did 5000 kms on mine on one five week trip. Who wants to go on holiday and see only motorways between stops?
niggle

Post by niggle »

Top box and plate arrived today, but I won’t have the bike until Monday or Tuesday next week, by which time the rack should have arrived along with this Givi tanklock bag plus adapter ring thingy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143375326290

I think once I have ordered some handguards I will pause and give my savings account a break whilst I ponder pannier options (these have caught my eye: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/498433 ) and assess the seat and screen in use. I have insured the bike which was reasonable at £242, helps being an old duffer living in deepest West Cornwall. Delivery is costing me £174, which is a lot less than the £222 that a train ticket is from home to Keighley...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Whysub wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:49 pm I did 5000 kms on mine on one five week trip. Who wants to go on holiday and see only motorways between stops?
If I'm going on holiday to a destination then I just want to get there as quickly as possible in as much comfort as possible. But if I'm going on a journey then usually the destination is just a place I use as an excuse to ride the miles in between.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I was doing a circular route from my place, so my destination was where I started from.

If I just have to be somewhere quickly, which is usually at short notice, then i will jump on another bike, and get on the motorway, That will be the bike with the squared off tyres.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I was pondering a bike change a few months back and flirted with the 'two bike solution'. This became Himalayan plus old Guzzi Norge. But then I remembered that I live in a London town house and don't have a garage, or indeed any off road parking bigger than the size of a billiard table. So sanity prevailed and I bought the Tracer 700. One day, though, with more space, I can see myself with a Himalayan for off-road/back roads plus 1 or 2 other bikes for road use.
niggle

Post by niggle »

I did Cornwall to Garrison in NI via the Fishguard-Rosslare ferry and up through the republic on my old MZ TS250/1 Supa 5, thoroughly enjoyed it once I got across the Irish Sea. Admittedly the M4 through South Wales was utterly shite, but I don’t think a change of bike would have improved that :D
G.P

Post by G.P »

niggle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:06 pm
I did Cornwall to Garrison in NI via the Fishguard-Rosslare ferry and up through the republic on my old MZ TS250/1 Supa 5, thoroughly enjoyed it once I got across the Irish Sea. Admittedly the M4 through South Wales was utterly shite, but I don’t think a change of bike would have improved that :D
But at least on the MZ you were cool :thumbup:

I know what you mean. I've toured Scotland on an RD250 and the M6 getting there from cheshire was a bit dull, but the RD had enough go to be great fun on the backroads (30bhp though).
I also used to do the Wirral to Bath on my Honda SS50 moped when I was 16 so do understand monotony! :)
niggle

Post by niggle »

Bike finally delivered late Monday night and naturally I was busy all yesterday whilst the sun was shining, and now I have time it has been p1$$1ng down all day. I did of course start it up and it does sound very pleasant. Having a “wet play” day gave me time to leaf through the owner’s manual. Nice to see a wiring diagram included but the running in instructions are a bit of a concern i.e. max speed 36mph for first 300 miles, then 50mph up to 2000 miles!