The Steering Thread

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Trinity765

Re: The Steering Thread

Post by Trinity765 »

Perhaps I don't need to lean into corners with my bike. Perhaps the world is flat. Maybe I don't have to pay taxes and I may live forever...

Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Counter steer that
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:02 pm Racers use multi compound tyres too though and have for a long time, yet they still go to great lengths to make the bike stand up again....

Aside from mid-corner touch down, watch carefully and you'll often see them lean further into the corner just at the end of the bend - that way they can get the bike more upright as they apply the power before being clear of the corner. By my understanding that's because the higher cCoM means that if the rear breaks traction it drifts OUT, rather than slides. See Gary McCoy.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am Perhaps I don't need to lean into corners with my bike. Perhaps the world is flat. Maybe I don't have to pay taxes and I may live forever...
It's the COMBINED Centre of Mass of bike AND rider that matters, as I've tried to explain.

Movement of your body changes the relative position of the cCoM - offset and height.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 am Perhaps I don't need to lean into corners with my bike. Perhaps the world is flat. Maybe I don't have to pay taxes and I may live forever...

Wonky handlebars for the win!
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."