New Bike!!

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Re: New Bike!!

Post by Potter »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 pm
For @Asian Boss the Himalayan you mentioned are really slow as you suspected with a 25 BHP 400cc. One of my fellow Instructors has one and its ideal for pottering round behind CBT students but he went out and tacked onto a DAS ride with a young lad who has raced as a kid and can ride a bit and he had to work it to keep up with an enthusiastically ridden 600 Bandit mainly lacking power away from standing starts and out of bends
I thought that this deserved it's own little bit...

If you buy a 25bhp Himalayan and want something that performs like a KTM450 then you're going to be disappointed with it. It is what it is and to be honest if you can keep up with a spirited young racer on a bandit then they can't be that bad, in fact I'm pretty impressed, a 600cc bandit can shuffle along well with a decent rider.

Everyone I know that has a Himalayan loves it, but that's because they wanted one. If you buy one as some sort of compromise whilst wrinkling your nose a bit then I think you'd be pretty fed up with it.

I haven't ridden one and atm they're not for me either, but they definitely have something about them, there are a few well-heeled guys over here that could have anything they wanted, but they ride these Himalayans and it's almost like a cult, once they get on one they sell everything else. Some people buy two and one bloke here who is a bit of a celebrity owns four. It seems like if you get it then you get it, if you don't then you don't.

It's a bit obvious but you have to want that bike, with that style and that power, otherwise...well you don't want one and you wouldn't enjoy it.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

You scoffed at my Bullet being a fake classic, you should try and get a go on one now you get it, they're a tiny bit faster than a Himalayan, but have heaps more character* than the 650.

*flaws
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 am You scoffed at my Bullet being a fake classic, you should try and get a go on one now you get it, they're a tiny bit faster than a Himalayan, but have heaps more character* than the 650.

*flaws
I've ridden a 500 RE, bloke at work has one, the mirror fell off, but it didn't matter because it was useless after 50kph anyway.
That was the first thing I asked my mate when he turned up on an Interceptor - "How are the vibes?".

I've been using it today for work and it's now done 45km.
It's noticeably loosened up and feels a lot better, the tyres are covered in some sort of slippery stuff that you can't see but after the second slide I stopped and rubbed my finger on the edge and I think it's the stuff they use to put tyres on, or the slime they use to make sure they don't stick to the mould, but either way it's nasty and needs washing off.

It's still sterile, bland, etc, but I really think that's because the wind noise at 60kph is more than the exhaust noise, it's ridiculously quiet and the power is like a sewing machine. I think what CC says is right, with decent tyres and exhaust it will transform it. I've emailed the exhaust guys to ask if they will ship one here.

As for "fake classic" - you're right, I feel a little bit of a berk on it, late 40's hipster isn't a good look, but it's a handsome thing, I like it, it's cheap, it's perfect for what I want and who cares what someone else thinks.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Potter wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:07 am

I thought that this deserved it's own little bit...

If you buy a 25bhp Himalayan and want something that performs like a KTM450 then you're going to be disappointed with it. It is what it is and to be honest if you can keep up with a spirited young racer on a bandit then they can't be that bad, in fact I'm pretty impressed, a 600cc bandit can shuffle along well
The caveat to that is that the kid was on a DAS training ride so had to stick to the legal limits ...... if he didn’t then he would have left the instructor on the Himalayan for dead.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

My oldest brother has a diesel Enfield, its one redeeming feature is that it can be run backwards 🤪
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Potter wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:44 am
Bigyin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 pm I would guess the thumbs up and smiles would come from those who think, with the overall look and chrome tank etc, its a classic bike. Even i will have a look at a classic as it goes past. If i saw one of them coming then it would catch the eye and then "ah, its a brand new lookalike" with modern brakes, suspension and electrics.
I've always said the same i.e. if I want a classic bike then I'll buy one (and I did, a 1930's classic) - but they do come with a whole load of work and if you're not a half competent mechanic then you'll wish you hadn't bought one. This is an accessible way for the average punter to ride something that looks similar but has all the reliability and manners of something new (edited...and it's ridiculously cheap (relatively)).

On paper I've previously turned my nose up as well, but seeing it in the flesh and after riding one I think the majority change their mind - watch the YouTube reviews. Of course, if you don't like it then you don't like it, it's not a bike that will totally turn your head, but if you sort of like it then it has the capability to pull you all the way in.

I suspect this might not be a long-term keeper, it's a very functional thing and it's serving a purpose that meets my needs, I like it a lot for now and it's fun, but perhaps not something I'd personally keep long term (as in years) because although it has some character it doesn't have enough to sit amongst the other bikes that I am keeping, but that's a hard party to get into, the £20k MV limited edition that I had flown in didn't get an invite to stay either.

That being said, I think RE deserve a massive amount of praise for these new generation bikes. The overall package for the money knocks the socks off anything else that is close. I could pay a grand and a half more and get a CB500X and it would be more expensive, more bland and not look as good, IMHO.

I've noticed a lot of guests look at this forum, possibly for bike reviews, so if you're one of those people and you're reading this, and you fancy a RE Interceptor, then you'll be very happy if you buy one. It perhaps won't appeal to the race rep crowd, or the people that want blood stirring Panigale style power or even the GS/Multi crowd who want 150bhp in an expensive and modern adventure bike - but if that was you then you wouldn't be looking at buying a RE Interceptor.

The only faults I can really come up with is that it's not a real classic, so that means it doesn't leak oil, it doesn't break down, it rides well, the ignition and engine gives you linear power that make it easy to ride anywhere, the clutch is light and the gearbox is Japanese like, it doesn't shake your fillings out and you're reasonably sure when you set out that it will get you home again.
So yeah, it's a bit bland and it doesn't stir the blood like riding my 1930's bike does, but you don't get that for free, it's a lot of work to keep one on the road.

Hell - with that review - I'm tempted!

I've always like the 'meaty' look of the Enfield twins.
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:12 am
The caveat to that is that the kid was on a DAS training ride so had to stick to the legal limits ...... if he didn’t then he would have left the instructor on the Himalayan for dead.
Fair enough, although I think it's less of a criticism of the RE and more of just a comparison between 25bhp and 75bhp.

To be honest I don't think I'd want less power than this Interceptor, although saying that I had a year on an AR50 and eighteen months on 125's and loved it, so I'd get used to it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm trying to order an exhaust and filter like CCs from them blokes at Tec, but it won't let me because of where I am and they haven't answered my enquiry :(
Potter

Post by Potter »

100km on it now and it's loosening up more and sounding louder, which I thought was weird.
Handling has improved since I sorted the tyre pressures out, they were too high. It handles as well as anything else in this sort of range, bit vague at times but it's not a sportsbike.

The blokes at Tec got back to me and soon a high flow filter and 2-into-1 Stinger pipe will be on it's way to me.
I'm not sure if I want to do anything else, new tyres at some point but even though these are a bit rubbish they'll probably last years and I'm not doing trackdays or racing my mates on it, so I don't know if it's worth it.

I'll put some black Renthals on, maybe a smaller headlight and maybe a few cosmetic bits.

It has renewed my interest in bikes though, I can see me buying something else before the year is out.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Potter wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:29 am It's noticeably loosened up and feels a lot better, the tyres are covered in some sort of slippery stuff that you can't see but after the second slide I stopped and rubbed my finger on the edge and I think it's the stuff they use to put tyres on, or the slime they use to make sure they don't stick to the mould, but either way it's nasty and needs washing off.
Yes that sounds like mould release stuff, I have met this problem on slick bicycle tyres and found scrubbing down thoroughly with meths seems to help get rid of it (meths is supposed to be 100% safe to use on rubber). I have also heard of using brake cleaner, I have been a bit wary of using something so powerful but I suppose it must be safe for rubber or it would wreck calliper seals etc.

In other news I have just gone and ordered a Himalayan, having more of a desire for something with some capability for gravel and dirt roads, plus I have spent at least 50% of my riding career on MZ 250 & 300cc 2 smokes so I doubt the performance (or lack of street cred) will bother me as much as the average rider. Also I am totally allergic to chrome and try to avoid motorways and duel cabbageways as much as possible.
Potter

Post by Potter »

niggle wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 am
In other news I have just gone and ordered a Himalayan, having more of a desire for something with some capability for gravel and dirt roads, plus I have spent at least 50% of my riding career on MZ 250 & 300cc 2 smokes so I doubt the performance (or lack of street cred) will bother me as much as the average rider. Also I am totally allergic to chrome and try to avoid motorways and duel cabbageways as much as possible.
Brill, make sure you do a proper thread.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:12 am The caveat to that is that the kid was on a DAS training ride so had to stick to the legal limits
Pah! Tosh and nonsense! Straight from the book of 'instructor excuses' - if you can't keep up, they're riding 'dangerously' ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Asian Boss wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:59 pm It got me looking at the Himalayan again. Christ, they're cheap. And slow I suspect. But I'm tempted. God knows what I'd do with one though.
There is slow on the road, and there is slow on gravel roads and dirt tracks. Two entirely different "slows"
niggle wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 am
You are the ideal candidate for one then. I bought one as soon as I decided to move out here. Loads of tracks and gravel roads where I live (a tricky one starts 25 metres from my gates).

In 2019 I did a 5,000 km round trip from here to SE France, then through the Pyrenees, the Picos, onto Northern Portugal, rode to the south (inland, never went near the coast) then across southern Spain via Ronda and the Sierra Nevada, to home. In all of that, I think we did a total of about 200kms on motorways which were unavoidable.

My mates were on a CBF1000, V-Strom 650 and another Himalayan. On the straighter roads, my mates could keep ahead on the CBF and V-Strom, on the twisties the Himalayans could keep up, but on the many dirt tracks we mapped out to ride, the two Himalayans were far, far ahead.

I've had no issues with mine in 10,000 miles (I wouldn't expect to) and nothing has broken or fallen off. The finish is still as good as new, but then they don't throw salt on the roads here and it rains infrequently. I don't do anything other than drop it in at the dealers for a service, and never had the stalling or head weeping oil (one bolt is too short, easily fixed with a 5mm longer bolt) that a few other owners suffered.

Other common issues are that some riders find the seat uncomfortable, but that is easily sorted (mines fine now, a 5mm thick sheet of gel cut to shape with a sheepskin cover over the top). Others find the screen causes buffeting, but I must have an Indian proportioned body as I don't get it. Sadly I don't have an Italian proportioned body for driving my Fiat.

And despite it being cheap to buy, they hold their price well on the secondhand market, unlike say a Chinese bike. The two Enfield dealers near me both say they don't have secondhand ones on the shop floor for more than a few days before they are sold.

As for the power, only 24 bhp, but that's enough. Other owners say they wish it had 35bhp from the factory, but if it did, they would want 50bhp, and so on. I've had KTM RC8's and was always looking for mods to give more power, despite what they have is practically unusable on the road.

The Himalayan can do long motorway runs, but it's not at it's best. If I have to be somewhere a distance away by a certain time I'll take the motorway on the Street Triple.

I was aware what I wanted it to use it for, and it has not disappointed. Many bikes I've just bought without a second thought (like the I did with the Street Triple), bet the Himalayan I thought long and hard about before buying, and glad I did.

Highly recommend watching Nathanthepostmam on YouTube, as he has a number small ADV bikes (Himalayan, KTM 390, BMW GS310 and a Honda CRF) that he rides back to back on the same lanes for comparison. Interesting.

As for the 650, if they made this (it was their own in house design project) I'd buy one tomorrow
20191127_225228.jpg
20191127_225228.jpg (102.31 KiB) Viewed 498 times