Aprilia Shiver (cheap!)?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Asian Boss

Aprilia Shiver (cheap!)?

Post by Asian Boss »

An early Aprilia Shiver is for sale not a million miles from me.

It's under two grand but it has a few scuffs. It's fairly low miles.

I'm kind of tempted just for t'craic, like; and the funny name. But I've never ridden one and I had a look at the reviews ... and they don't seem very popular. Plus being an old Aprilia it might well go horrendously wrong.

Has anyone got any experience of them?
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Potter

Re: Aprilia Shiver (cheap!)?

Post by Potter »

Why would you buy a cheap shitter that you don't know much about or have much confidence in?
G.P

Post by G.P »

Potter wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:28 am Why would you buy a cheap shitter that you don't know much about or have much confidence in?
That.
Someone on VD/ TRC had one for years and put decent miles on it IIRC. I wouldn't go near an old Aprilia. I once had a Pegaso, great to ride, shite to own.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I really don't get the hate for Aprilias. I've owned two (both Falcos), one from new (which I still own and cannot imagine ever selling) and one I bought as a fixer-upper with over 30k on it. Both have been reliable, with excellent build quality and spares availability has never been a problem. Aprilia over-stretched themselves financially in the early/mid 2000s and had to be rescued by Piaggio. It was this change of ownership that caused the temporary spares shortage that everyone fixates on. The Shiver was one of the post-Piaggio models and I've heard no horror stories or indeed anything negative about the model. You'd obviously need to do all the checks that you'd do with any old bike, and like any old bike it's more a question of how it's been looked after rather than any intrinsic faults with the bike.

I'd do the same due diligence on any Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki of that age. Just because it's an Aprilia shouldn't set any alarm bells ringing.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I considered buying one a few years back. They're kind of like an SV650 on steroids. The only bad thing anyone had to say about them was the EFI/throttle was a bit choppy.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Potter wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:28 am Why would you buy a cheap shitter that you don't know much about or have much confidence in?
Just to scratch the itch I guess.

I kind of know I won't use it. What am I going to do with it? Put on silly trousers and ride round and round on it? Put it in the garage next to the other bike I don't use more likely.

I guess if I'm honest with myself I'd rather have one of them African Twins but I'm pretty confident I wouldn't ride that either and it'd be more annoying when the kids knock it over.

I think ultimately I'd like to get back into motorbiking but I can't see that happening. I'd rather cycle or drive. Maybe a Harley or a Diavel or a classic bike is the answer. I am well into middle age now so that kind of sounds right.
Last edited by Asian Boss on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:51 am I considered buying one a few years back. They're kind of like an SV650 on steroids. The only bad thing anyone had to say about them was the EFI/throttle was a bit choppy.
Although it does sound kind of fun. Under two grand and pre-scuffed, I could throw it on its side as well as the kids. :thumbup:
Last edited by Asian Boss on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:47 am I really don't get the hate for Aprilias. I've owned two (both Falcos), one from new (which I still own and cannot imagine ever selling) and one I bought as a fixer-upper with over 30k on it. Both have been reliable, with excellent build quality and spares availability has never been a problem. Aprilia over-stretched themselves financially in the early/mid 2000s and had to be rescued by Piaggio. It was this change of ownership that caused the temporary spares shortage that everyone fixates on. The Shiver was one of the post-Piaggio models and I've heard no horror stories or indeed anything negative about the model. You'd obviously need to do all the checks that you'd do with any old bike, and like any old bike it's more a question of how it's been looked after rather than any intrinsic faults with the bike.

I'd do the same due diligence on any Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki of that age. Just because it's an Aprilia shouldn't set any alarm bells ringing.
I've owned two. An Af1 125 and a CapoNord. Both went disastrously wrong. Maybe I was unlucky. I'd have another AF1 in a heartbeat though.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 am
I think ultimately I'd like to get back into motorbiking...
I get that, I have years when I just can't be arsed and it takes something to rekindle it.
But I very much doubt your bike mojo will be rekindled by buying a cheap unreliable bag of shite that you don't feel like riding.

Buy smart, get something that interests you and you know you'll get most (if not all or more) of your money back.
Or buy something new, like me with the Interceptor, it's quite different from my previous bikes and it's very topical, so there is lots of FB and forum discussion to spark your interest. Plus it's actually a blinding package for the money.

It's like trying to spark an interest in watches by buying a cheap nasty thing that you know you'll just throw in a drawer and forget about.
Druid

Post by Druid »

I think it was gremlin that had a Shiver.

A lad at work had one, looked pretty, went quite well but he changes his bikes more often than he changes his underpants so I don't know what it's like as a long term bike.

I had a Dorsoduro - same engine & frame, different suspension and bodywork. I really enjoyed it but couldn't live with the 65mile range. The Shiver has a bigger tank so that shouldn't be as much of a problem. Nothing went wrong in the 12 months I owned it
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'm glad I don't get this going off motorbikes illness. When I don't ride I'm properly mardy.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 am
Just to scratch the itch I guess.

I kind of know I won't use it. What am I going to do with it? Put on silly trousers and ride round and round on it? Put it in the garage next to the other bike I don't use more likely.

I guess if I'm honest with myself I'd rather have one of them African Twins but I'm pretty confident I wouldn't ride that either and it'd be more annoying when the kids knock it over.

I think ultimately I'd like to get back into motorbiking but I can't see that happening. I'd rather cycle or drive. Maybe a Harley or a Diavel or a classic bike is the answer. I am well into middle age now so that kind of sounds right.
*What you need is someone in an official capacity telling you not to ride and STF at home. If you're anything like as contrary as myself,this will become a catalyst for wanting to ride.

*Yanno,like lockdown or some such fantastical scenario.

It worked for me. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

My mate has one - gave 2k for it in really good nick. He loves it.