Buying bikes

Anything you like about motorbikes
Numnut

Buying bikes

Post by Numnut »

When buying a bike from a dealer, or even second-hand how do you go about it? Do you ever pay ticket price, or do you have some magic way of convincing the dealer to charge you less? Do you just offer an amount and see if the dealer bites?

I usually have a look round and see what else is available of a similar age/spec and try to get some cash off that way. If that doesn't work I'm pretty much all out of ideas though!

I'm considering something new (another 790 duke) and have been looking at ex-demo but there's a few brand new ones for the same price so I'm hoping to get a bit of cash off...
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Buying bikes

Post by weeksy »

Dealers at the moment seem quite harsh from what i've seen. But p/x values seem quite strong, but when we were looking at trading the ZX6R we had values from £3500-4500 in P/X so i guess it depends on what they have in and what they want and of course what profit they have in the bike you're buying.
KTMs are always a bit weird due to some of the deals that they do at times. For example i bought my 690 Duke new for £5999, but there's a few up with 2,000+ miles on for £6500 now that deal is over.

790s can be similar with some of them being only £200 less than the £7499 everyone was buying at even though they're used.

For me, unless it was £1000 difference i'd be going new to get full warrranty and the pleasure of a new bike. I certainly wouldn't be doing it for £200-300.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I always used to paid the ticket price, I never haggled until I met the wife.

In fact I still don't haggle, I let her do it (she worked in sales for 20 years), I'm quite frankly astonished how much some stuff comes down by.

I've not bought a bike from a dealer since before the first lockdown. I have bought a new Toyota last September from the main dealer, they seemed really desperate to sell, got a couple of grand off, all the stuff they usually upsell thrown in for free (gap insurance, paint protection, etc..) and it was all done on 0% finance.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I pay ticket price but haggle for extras. I just keep going until they say no. I usually get a one or two year servicing deal and then start adding clothing/boots/accessories.
Lockdown refugee
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I wander in, think I want that, and then I buy it, I'll make a lame attempt at haggling, but everyone knows my hearts not in it, I really can't be arsed for £500
Honda Owner
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

One to be ready for when px at the dealer is the price they give at point of sale, maybe over phone, then they find faults and reduce px price on the big day.
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:42 am One to be ready for when px at the dealer is the price they give at point of sale, maybe over phone, then they find faults and reduce px price on the big day.
As you'd imagine i've never had this... in fact the last time i took the 690 into Swindon he gave me £200 more :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Don't think I've ever had that either, but it's 18 years since I traded a bike in
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

I usually buy and sell privately, so the haggling thing comes with the territory. I think most folk like a token gesture and if they really want to buy,then they will.

I'll do the same when I find a bike,but I'll never go looking if I've no intention of buying,though God knows it's a day out for some.

Dealers are different. If I'm trading,I want to know what it costs me to change,that's the real issue. It doesn't matter if you are offered way over book price for your bike if the cost is added onto the new one.
Anyway once I have the 'to change' price,then we can talk business. To be honest I'd pay a little more for a good dealer,than a cheaper bike from a known bellend.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Last time I bought from a dealer I walked away and let my wife haggle :oops:

Got a couple of hundred quid off the ticket price so I was happy enough.
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

I'm not usually that good at bargaining, But I seem to have worked out a nice deal with some servicing thrown in, so that'll do me.

Cheers!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Yeah, dealer wouldn't budge on the ZH2 but I got a very good deal on the KTM I was trading in, top book price for something that was decidedly average ,needed new chain and sprockets, suffering a couple of winters harsh commuting and fork seals and spring that looked way past their best.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

I've just managed to get delivery and few bits and bobs thrown in as well as a small discount on the headline price. I just asked the dealer what they could do to sweeten the deal, as there were a few bikes I had my eye on. Not too pushy.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I get the missus to haggle too, she's absolutely ruthless.
I can't stand it myself, I have to be out of earshot. ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:24 pm I get the missus to haggle too, she's absolutely ruthless.
I can't stand it myself, I have to be out of earshot. ;)
Our lass is ruthless, but houses not bikes.
She wangled an extra £25k off our main house in UK.
And dropped the offer on this place, €30k, behind my back. Luckily the seller didn't pull out. I may not have been happy.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:33 pm And dropped the offer on this place, €30k, behind my back. Luckily the seller didn't pull out. I may not have been happy.
My wife did that too. We had decided on a price, I went to work and she rang the estate agent offering 13k less... good job they accepted.
Druid

Post by Druid »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:42 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:33 pm And dropped the offer on this place, €30k, behind my back. Luckily the seller didn't pull out. I may not have been happy.
My wife did that too. We had decided on a price, I went to work and she rang the estate agent offering 13k less... good job they accepted.
That's a shitty thing to do if you've agreed a price.

When I sold my dad's house the buyer dropped his offer by £10k the day before we were due to complete. I told him to do one, I was in no hurry to sell and was prepared to wait for the right price. He changed his mind and agreed to pay what we had agreed. I was tempted to tell him I wanted £10k more but my sister wouldn't let me.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Druid wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:54 pm

When I sold my dad's house the buyer dropped his offer by £10k the day before we were due to complete. I told him to do one, I was in no hurry to sell and was prepared to wait for the right price. He changed his mind and agreed to pay what we had agreed. I was tempted to tell him I wanted £10k more but my sister wouldn't let me.
We = the wife and me. Not us and the seller.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Our lawyer found a small technicality with this villa. I suppose it might affect the resale value, so the missus dropped our offer by €25k.
Druid

Post by Druid »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:55 pm

My apologies, I misunderstood what you meant.