Harley-Davidson turn the adventure bike market on its head with the new Pan America

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dodgy69

Re: Harley-Davidson turn the adventure bike market on its head with the new Pan America

Post by Dodgy69 »

Horrible thing. 👎
Yamaha rocket 3
Cousin Jack

Re: Harley-Davidson turn the adventure bike market on its head with the new Pan America

Post by Cousin Jack »

Don't like it, and if I really wanted an 'Adventure bike' I would want something a LOT lighter. Similar weight to a GSA, and I wouldn't want one of those for the same reason

OTOH it perhaps shows that HD have woken up and smelt coffee.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
G.P

Post by G.P »

I think its interesting looking. I'm sure all the guys with a collection of Harley's and a BMW for riding "fire Roads" will be really interested.

For the rest of us, 150bhp must surely get your attention? Same weight as a 1250 GSA with 15bhp more...

It might save Harley in the short term and that's got to be a good thing, Right?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Harley Davidson decide to chase a trend that peaked about 10 years ago. I guess it means they're catching up. Slowly.

Personally i wouldn't touch an adventure bike with your bargepole. And an HD one, with their history of tractor building? Not a f'n chance, mate.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:06 pm
which helps to bring overall weight of the standard model down to 245kg and the S model to 258kg.
Fuck, you ain't gonna pick that fucker up :D
It's America, they'll phone their mate in the National Guard and borrow a Chinook.

I hope that 258kg is the all up weight, if it's the dry weight they might as well take a Gold Wing off road.

150bhp in something the size of that behemoth off road is for the very brave or very stupid. They should have put the engine in a road bike, not something that looks like a Transalp that has been comfort eating for a decade.

It's fucking hideous.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

I do wonder if market research is no longer a thing. Who is going to buy that? Americans? Nope. Anyone else? Nope. There you are then.

Why didn't they just ask me?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

inewham wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:20 pm How does it turn adventure bike market on its head its just another tractor...
Harley producing a short stroke 150bhp motor is much more interesting, but no they 'lose' it in this POS.
Stick it in an XR750 rep and they might actually sell a few
They were going to use it in a cool looking (for a Harley) Street Fighter thing... but cancelled it. Which is rubbish because it actually looked half decent.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Leccy bikes seem to be where the attention is. Given the relatively successful "long Way Up", There's apparently quite a lot of interest in the USA for a silent Harley.
Skub

Post by Skub »

G.P wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:53 pm Leccy bikes seem to be where the attention is. Given the relatively successful "long Way Up", There's apparently quite a lot of interest in the USA for a silent Harley.
It'll be back to a clothes-peg and a bus ticket on yer spokes to make the soundtrack!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
G.P

Post by G.P »

Skub wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:28 pm
G.P wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:53 pm Leccy bikes seem to be where the attention is. Given the relatively successful "long Way Up", There's apparently quite a lot of interest in the USA for a silent Harley.
It'll be back to a clothes-peg and a bus ticket on yer spokes to make the soundtrack!
proper lol :)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigjawa wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:27 am 150bhp in something the size of that behemoth off road is for the very brave or very stupid. They should have put the engine in a road bike, not something that looks like a Transalp that has been comfort eating for a decade.
They did. The new management cancelled it in August. It was called the Bronx. (And actually the first Harley I liked the look of in eons).

My guess is that the Bronx will reappear down the line. I suspect there's too much invested in the motor for it to disappear into a niche market bike.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Bigjawa wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:27 am
I hope that 258kg is the all up weight, if it's the dry weight they might as well take a Gold Wing off road.
Back in the days of the original VisorDown, someone (Keith? SouthernSupermoto?) had a Goldwing he used off road. I've a photo of it somewhere, mid flight.

Edit-Found it.
20210301_211107.jpg
20210301_211107.jpg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 867 times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Good review here...

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/review ... -gSq1oE_P0

The adaptive ride height system sounds interesting, like them busses that lower at the bus stop to let pushchairs on :)
The Spin Doctor

What IS surprising is that they did all the R&D on the motor with a totally new bike called the Bronx as the platform it would be used in:

It was actually the first Harley since the flat tracker of about 1980 that I have liked the look of.

Perhaps that's why it was cancelled last autumn in the big Harley shake-up designed to stop the company haemorrhaging cash.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I'd learn it on my auld XL200. Off road anyway.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
cheb

Post by cheb »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:04 pm What IS surprising is that they did all the R&D on the motor with a totally new bike called the Bronx as the platform it would be used in:

It was actually the first Harley since the flat tracker of about 1980 that I have liked the look of.

Perhaps that's why it was cancelled last autumn in the big Harley shake-up designed to stop the company haemorrhaging cash.
Either it needs some air in its tyres, or it's so heavy they've been flattened. Neither is good.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

The American Dream.

Made in Thailand.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Nice dig at BMW trying to break into the Cruiser market at the end of the review...

The Pan America thus makes a more than impressive entrance into a market where the bar is set very high. And one thing is for certain: the Harley-Davidson Pan America is much better as an ADV bike than the BMW R18 is as a cruiser. So, there’s that.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:08 am Nice dig at BMW trying to break into the Cruiser market at the end of the review...

The Pan America thus makes a more than impressive entrance into a market where the bar is set very high. And one thing is for certain: the Harley-Davidson Pan America is much better as an ADV bike than the BMW R18 is as a cruiser. So, there’s that.
Really?

What does the R18 not do in cruiser-world? (apart from make 'potato-potato-potato' noises). Asking seriously btw as I know only a little about cruisers, and what I do know is that they seem to be designed solely for being uncomfortable to ride, and only at slower speeds. :eh:
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

cheb wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:51 pm
Either it needs some air in its tyres, or it's so heavy they've been flattened. Neither is good.
Or the floor could be soft.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills