Washing up liquid for bike washing

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Re: Washing up liquid for bike washing

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:03 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 am I need to get some bike cleaner. i normally use paraffin but the wife moans it stinks for days afterwards! :roll: Anyone used the Motul stuff?
Do you wash it in the house?
According to the wife I might as well have, as everyone walks it in for the next few days, apparently. TBF I can smell it at times...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:48 am I need to get some bike cleaner. i normally use paraffin but the wife moans it stinks for days afterwards! :roll: Anyone used the Motul stuff?
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... -cleaner#5

According to the results the bike care stuff at £4 a litre sounds good.

Although they look like they only have the 4 litre option in stock
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/340454

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/340423

Might give it a go myself, was about to go back to SDoc but this is a lot cheaper and it's a gel so might stay on better than the W5.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I reckon any detergent will do, just rince off pretty sharpish. Not watched vid yet.
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy knees wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:34 pm I reckon any detergent will do, just rince off pretty sharpish. Not watched vid yet.
Yeah it wasn't really representative as samples were left to soak for 3 days, and as he even says the vast majority you are gonna spray on, leave for 5-10 mins at most and rinse off. As long as you rinse well you shouldn't have a problem.

From what I've used SDoc is still best as a 1 job cleaner for the whole bike, but it's proper expensive.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'm still a sponge and bucket man first, then some diluted stuff I spray on, for all the awkward bits. Hose off and done. Sometimes it gets a blow dry, mainly winter time. Then, in the morning, admire all the crap that I've missed. 🙂👍
Yamaha rocket 3
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I can recommend a concoction called Shiny Sauce. Cuts through grease and grime but is non-aggressive and PH neutral.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:17 pm I can recommend a concoction called Shiny Sauce. Cuts through grease and grime but is non-aggressive and PH neutral.
"Ammo .243, Motul E2 Moto Wash, Shiny Sauce, Surfex HD, Bilberry, Elbow Grease, Screwfix degreaser and Zep all caused damage to my samples of aluminium and anodising. While these samples were left to soak, the reactions sometimes began very quickly, bubbles forming on the plates after they were put in the pots. Most surprising was Shiny Sauce, which – like the other motorcycle-specific cleaners – is claimed to be safe on all surfaces, but this is also supposed to be PH neutral; my testing indicated it’s actually strongly alkaline at PH 13."
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Very interesting. I must admit I hadn't watched the video (my bad) and was only going on what the blurb states for Shiny Sauce. I think I might have a word with someone at SS HQ.