Maxxis Tyres

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Maxxis Tyres

Post by KungFooBob »

My K1200RS came with an almost new set of Maxxis Supermaxx Touring tyres.

I wouldn't have ever in a million years have fitted them myself, but they're £150 worth of tyres on an £1800 bike.

I'm pleasantly surprised. They're fine in the wet and even in snotty conditions I've managed to get rid of the chicken strips without even trying.

I guess the biggest compliment I can pay them is that I've not really noticed them.

My MOT man (who fits lots of tyres) was less than complimentary about them and mentioned they were made by CST.

I've just googled it and Maxxis are wholly owned by CST (Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Co.). Wikipedia says they're the worlds 9th largest tyre manufacture, so maybe they do actually know something about making tyres?

They're still being replaced by Michelins when they die :)
DefTrap

Re: Maxxis Tyres

Post by DefTrap »

I used to use Cheng shin maxxis in the early 90s when I was skint. They were ok for mediocre commuting type stuff I was doing, certainly when newish and not squared off anyway.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Fairly certain @Dodgy knees has those on his Tracer and had more than enough grip to deck his footpegs while doing laps of Pembrey last summer. He was out in the wet session on them and as it got better and drier i was behind him watching the increasing amount of sparks till he took off the hero blobs for more clearance ;)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yep, good enough tyre for me, but most are. I've never had a grip issue in the dry which was the tyres fault. Steady and smoother in the wet. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I ran them on a trip to Germany with the lads once upon a time, also a pair of Continentals, they're perfectly capable for 99% of people in 99% of circumstances.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

I don’t think I’d buy Maxxis tyres myself but there again I only do a few thousand miles a year so buying tyres is a rare occurrence and the extra cost of a ‘premium brand’ doesn’t matter. I’m as guilty as the next person of tyre snobbery when it’s perfectly likely a lesser brand would be just as good.

If I’m changing tyres I usually have a look on the forums to see what’s recommended and go for that. My Sprint is just about the only bike I junked the tyres just after I bought it. The BT021’s were the worst tyres I’ve ever had.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

More than capable rubber for 99% of the time, can get a little slidey when really pushing on but have to be well in to nicking territory on the road to reach that place.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

My FZR400 came with a set of Maxxis Super Diamond sport touring tyres, I did a trackday at Snetterton on them, they were alright, they got a bit overheated and slidey in the afternoon, but they were always predictable.
Honda Owner
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I had them on soemthing and foud them fine with good wet weather grip iirc? Maxxis were the tyre choics of the supermotos at one point too.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

We had this conversation recently... I had a CST Adreno on the back of the Hornet for a week (emergency, only thing in stock, purchase)... it felt like it was flat even when inflated to a few psi MORE than the usual 42psi, it twitched unpleasantly in the wet... and then it started to crack and delaminate.

In the few hundred miles it did before I could bin it and go back to my usual Continentals, it also wore dramatically. If it hadn't fallen apart first, I doubt it would have seen more than a couple of thousand miles.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I've had Maxxis Sports and Touring tyres on a Sprint RS. They were perfectly fine in wet and dry weather. The sports tyre lasted 3k and was replaced by a Touring one that did 7k. I'm now a Michelin fan, but the current tyres are Metzeler on the BMW and again as perfectly fine in wet/dry riding I've done. I don't think I press on hard enough to challenge the grip available on modern tyres.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Had to have a Maxxis Diamond fitted to one of the work bikes following an unrepairable puncture. Exceeded my expectations at the price, especially in the wet.

Much better than the Tarmacadams I used to run when commuting on my GSX-R750. Not much grip in the dry, less in the wet, but got at least 10,000 miles out of a rear, which by then, it was the shape of an Avon Speedmaster