The darkside with a twist of fun

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Re: The darkside with a twist of fun

Post by Supermofo »

Did yours need adjusting this time?

Mine apparently was all in spec last time. I had it done at 6k and left it till now for the second one as I serviced it myself at 9k but just did all filters and oil.
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:15 pm Did yours need adjusting this time?

Mine apparently was all in spec last time. I had it done at 6k and left it till now for the second one as I serviced it myself at 9k but just did all filters and oil.
No all the clearances were within spec. I did feel they would be just by how it starts and runs, but it never hurts to check the rocker arms are still in good condition.

The 690 isn't as complicated as other bikes with bucket and shim adjustment. Once you find tdc the timing isn't moved , the cam stays in place and its only 4 bolts to remove both rocker arms to gain access to the shims. I find i spend more time cleaning everything in that area rather than the time it takes to check the clearances.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Judging by the starting/running I'm expecting mine to be fine, I'm only doing it for the rocker arms to be checked. If they didn't fall apart I wouldn't bother with a valve check yet
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

My Internet has been poop all this week so some of the changes are spread over last weekend and today :crazy:

I added some r&g engine case covers ,MT 09 graphics to the airscoops and some radiator side panels.

The graphics went on easily and the engine covers were a doddle as you'd expect, although the graphic on the right side cover is at the wrong angle and messes with my ocd, but I think it'll be easy to sort with a bit of heat applied before removal and reapplication.

The radiator covers however were annoying.... There chinese specials and came with no fitting instructions so it took a fair amount of time to just work out which bracket went where and how they all fitted together :roll:

Whilst fitting them i thought it would be a good time to check the coolant level and was surprised to find when I tried to top up the radiator it was filling the expansion tank aswell and then dumping it on the floor..... I'm pleased to say the neighbours children were indoors because I might have let out a few swear words at the top of my voice at this point :oops:

It took a few times looking at schematics and a work shop manual to work out the two small bore hoses had been swapped onto the wrong spigots on the back of the radiator. when I went to swap them back it also became obvious that the hoses also needed swapping to reach correctly :angry-cussingblack:

Thankfully after a bit of faffing to get the one of the hoses connected to the spigot on the cylinder head without stripping the whole bike down all seems fine.

Shakedown run....

The eagle eyed may also spot a new flat topped seat, which on first impressions is a good improvement over the standard seat comfort wise.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Looking smart.

Now you've mentioned the R&G decal,I can't unsee it either. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Very nice and that's a very shiny exhaust! I'm really taken with the MT range!
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Tidy looking bike, that. Have you done the ecu reflash/power commander thing or is the throttle response acceptable?
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Skub wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:01 pm
Now you've mentioned the R&G decal,I can't unsee it either. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

As plain as it would be I think I'd sooner see it without the decal :D
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

bevvo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:57 pm Tidy looking bike, that. Have you done the ecu reflash/power commander thing or is the throttle response acceptable?
It has an ecu reflash by Track electronics as far as I'm aware.... the ecu does have one of their stickers on it atleast :)

The bike was already fitted with the full system and ecu and its the only MT09 I've ridden so have nothing to compare it to..The only thing I can say is yes its more responsive in A mode but I wouldn't call it snatchy and its fine for me.
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Taipan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 am Very nice and that's a very shiny exhaust! I'm really taken with the MT range!
The looks don't seem to be to everyone's taste but I don't think you can knock either the CP3 or 4 engines as a road bike engine, neither are lacking in power :D
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Scuffmark wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:30 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 am Very nice and that's a very shiny exhaust! I'm really taken with the MT range!
The looks don't seem to be to everyone's taste but I don't think you can knock either the CP3 or 4 engines as a road bike engine, neither are lacking in power :D
The looks have really grown on me. So much so that I bought the SP, which I think looks fantastic. :mrgreen:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Must admit I've been liking the MT's more as time's gone on. It was definitely an XSR of the 2, but now I'm not so sure. I think it's cos of spent so bloody long looking at them on ebay!
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:50 am Must admit I've been liking the MT's more as time's gone on. It was definitely an XSR of the 2, but now I'm not so sure. I think it's cos of spent so bloody long looking at them on ebay!
Ha - yes I think that's what happened to me. I was obsessing XSRs but they look pretty dull in greys and blues. I nearly agreed a deal on a Kenny Roberts one but then I saw the SP in R1M colours at the right price and caved in...
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Im back :wave: ... A poor Internet connection that was getting worse with no support from the provider lead to me throwing my toys out of the pram. Thankfully a new provider has been great at sorting the problems but its taken a fair bit longer than I anticipated, but alls now good :banana-dance:

First ride on the MT-10 a few weeks back I found the back brake a little soft so that's had new brake fluid and new pads. There was still plenty of meat left on the original nissin pads but they looked like they'd been overheated at some point and even though I fitted some cheaper brand pads braking is better than it was before.

The 690 has had an oil change and I bought another seat....

It's a seat concepts seat which I've wanted to try for a long time. This is the older seat cover and foam kit on a standard seat base which is no longer available due to the original seat pans being fragile. SC only sell a complete seat now and by the time you add delivery from America the price is north of £400.... Too salty for me.

All I can say is its the best accessory I've bought for the 690, its turned a good bike into a great one for me and made it so much more useable. Already managed two 150 mile rides in reasonable comfort where I'd be lucky to manage 75 miles before... Result :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

He's alive!
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

weeksy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:03 pmHe's alive!
It's may take me a while to catch up with all the new content :lol:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

My mate's been after one of those seats for his 690 Rally. He's not yet due to cost/finding one as well.
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:58 am My mate's been after one of those seats for his 690 Rally. He's not yet due to cost/finding one as well.

I owned an Enduro R before this Smc and wanted an SC seat for that so its taken a fair few years to find a used one ..... I think I was lucky to find this one :D

Ive found the comfort so good It's got me looking at the foam and cover kit for the MT-10.