Numberplate flipper

Anything you like about motorbikes
Skub

Numberplate flipper

Post by Skub »

Are these even legal to sell,nevermind fit?

http://plateflip.com/product/licence-plate-flipper/
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Re: Numberplate flipper

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm Are these even legal to sell,nevermind fit?

I would guess legal to sell, probably to fit as well. Use one on the road and the words "obstruct a constable" or "attempt to pervert the course of justice" will probably appear on a piece of paper at some point ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:37 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm Are these even legal to sell,nevermind fit?

I would guess legal to sell, probably to fit as well. Use one on the road and the words "obstruct a constable" or "attempt to pervert the course of justice" will probably appear on a piece of paper at some point ;)
How can it be lawful to sell (I see nowhere even hinting at 'not for road use') if it's probable you'll do pokey for perverting the course of justice,plus being relieved of your books?
Walt Whitman
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Are you outraged?
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Skub wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 pm

How can it be lawful to sell (I see nowhere even hinting at 'not for road use') if it's probable you'll do pokey for perverting the course of justice,plus being relieved of your books?
Same way you can buy ‘show plates’ or exhaust systems that remove the cat on your car.

It’s up to you if you wish to use them or not.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Skub wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 pm

I can walk into the local.chef supply shop and buy a huge meat cleaver quite legally. It only becomes illegal if I bury it in someone's head.
Skub

Post by Skub »

But a meat cleaver has other valid purposes. The flipper does one thing only.
Walt Whitman
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigjawa wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:48 am
I can walk into the local.chef supply shop and buy a huge meat cleaver quite legally. It only becomes illegal if I bury it in someone's head.
Some might quibble if you strolled down the road waving that [legally acquired] cleaver ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Easier way would be just to not bother having a number plate, it is very rare to have the police behind you and if you do get stopped and haven't been doing anything too stupid it "must have fallen off".
Skub

Post by Skub »

GuzziPaul wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:49 pm Easier way would be just to not bother having a number plate, it is very rare to have the police behind you and if you do get stopped and haven't been doing anything too stupid it "must have fallen off".
It happened to me recently and I did wonder idly how long I could let it go 'unnoticed'. :lol:
Walt Whitman
cheb

Post by cheb »

I wondered about having part of freshly broken numberplate still attached. They're about a tenner each and you get maybe three usable broken parts per plate. As long as the edge looks clean you'd stand a chance.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ISTR someone with one of these (or it could have been missing) being caught a few years back, it was like a red rag to a bull for the camera peeps and they went though cctv and followed the journey to a point they could identify the rider.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ISTR weeksy ran his Ducati without a plate for a while, years ago?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Anyone remember JAYMZ from the other place? He rode for months and months without a number plate on! I used to see him quite often on his number plateless GSXr! :lol:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Mussels wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:21 pm ISTR someone with one of these (or it could have been missing) being caught a few years back, it was like a red rag to a bull for the camera peeps and they went though cctv and followed the journey to a point they could identify the rider.
It was near where i live as the bloke wheelied past speed cameras a few times with middle finger up. They trawled cctv and logged all his riding kit, mods to the bike and listed them. They got a partial plate a few days later from a cctv hit went to his house and found the bike. Matched the riding kit and he was hung out to dry at court

Moral of the story. Dont take the piss or rub plods nose in something as they can be very enthusiastic in pursuit
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I seem to recall Nik Samson getting a visit from his local plod to be told "we know it's you, fucking behave in future" after similar escapades !
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm It was near where i live as the bloke wheelied past speed cameras a few times with middle finger up. They trawled cctv and logged all his riding kit, mods to the bike and listed them. They got a partial plate a few days later from a cctv hit went to his house and found the bike. Matched the riding kit and he was hung out to dry at court

Moral of the story. Dont take the piss or rub plods nose in something as they can be very enthusiastic in pursuit
IIRC there was a FF camera in Northamptonshire where a bloke regularly took the piss. One day it was not just a FF camera, it had another on the back that took his number plate.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm ISTR weeksy ran his Ducati without a plate for a while, years ago?
I'm not hearing any strident denials. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm ISTR weeksy ran his Ducati without a plate for a while, years ago?
A mate had a Gixxer 1000 that lost its plate on the way to Snetterton as the fecking thing nearly hit me in the face as it came off. We recovered it and as it was snapped he put the bits in his jacket. Saw him weeks later and he still had the thing in his jacket and no rear plate displayed . I think it was about 3 months before he got stopped and told to replace it as the “it just fell off officer and here are the bits” excuse worked.

He did admit to riding like a complete twat during those 3 months :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I honestly remember SOMEONE on VD didn't have a plate for a bit on the grounds that the offence is the same as having a little one...."failure to display".

ISTR their avatar was a head on traffic cam type shot of them on a Bostrom rep 916.

You're talking 15 years ago now though so maybe not :D

I can see why admitions might not be forthcoming!