Supersport gap filler: Yamaha MT-07 dresses up to replace R6

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Supersport gap filler: Yamaha MT-07 dresses up to replace R6

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... portsbike/

This seems to be doing the rounds on many of the bike mag-sites, so thought i'd lob it up here.

Got to be a bit of a winner this one if built and done correctly... It's certainly got merit.

You'd assume they'll change tactics and put the full electronics on it though, as far as i'm aware, the MT-07 has next to none. Electronics sells bikes these days so i think it's gonna need some.
Dodgy69

Re: Supersport gap filler: Yamaha MT-07 dresses up to replace R6

Post by Dodgy69 »

That looks nice, what about a cp3. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:10 am That looks nice, what about a cp3. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It would in some way make sense yeah, but i think they decided that 600ss class was dead and essentially speaking a CP3 based engine is a 600SS in terms of power, so the market seems to have decided against that plan i'd say.
The MT07 based sports is in the "i've moved from the Duke390 and want to try a cool sportsbike" type group, assuming of course, that group exists. It could also fit into various race series assuming they allowed it and get the capacity correct, Mini-twins, Super-twins at the TT/Manx.

Dunno, it's hard to see how the market is going to go in the coming years, but i'm struggling to see more than a few handfuls of these being sold if they're made
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It's sort of a big R3, not a bad idea, a kind of soft sports bike, but I don't know who'd buy it.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The same people who are going to buy the new RS660 Aprilia.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

both of them
Le_Fromage_Grande

I think it's a good thing, it's weight and power are similar to a 1983 750 sports bike, I hate to say it but it could really suit me, 80s power with modern handling and brakes, I even quite like the styling, I prefer the looks of that to the Triumph 660 I've been looking at.

So in an hour, I've gone from who'd buy it, to I quite fancy one.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

My wife's opinion - "that looks a lot nicer than the Triumph"
Honda Owner
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I watched Lambchop on the trident last night - does make me want one when they get a bit cheaper and i've got somewhere to put it .
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:56 am I think it's a good thing, it's weight and power are similar to a 1983 750 sports bike, I hate to say it but it could really suit me, 80s power with modern handling and brakes, I even quite like the styling, I prefer the looks of that to the Triumph 660 I've been looking at.

Didn't Yamaha already try that with the TRX?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigjawa wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:52 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:56 am I think it's a good thing, it's weight and power are similar to a 1983 750 sports bike, I hate to say it but it could really suit me, 80s power with modern handling and brakes, I even quite like the styling, I prefer the looks of that to the Triumph 660 I've been looking at.

Didn't Yamaha already try that with the TRX?
Well, yes... but twenty five years ago! The TRX wasn't exactly cutting edge technology either, being sold at a time when everyone was pushing supersport 600s and sales of those machines were through the roof.

Now, if you discount Honda's CBR650, there aren't any SS600s left, bar the ZX6R and that's a 2019 model, I think. And I can't even think of the last time I saw one on the road that wasn't five or six years old.
Le_Fromage_Grande

The CBR650 is a sports tourer (like the original CBR600) so I think we can safely say Super Sports 600 is dead - personally I won't mourn it's passing
Honda Owner
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:47 pm
Well, yes... but twenty five years ago! The TRX wasn't exactly cutting edge technology either, being sold at a time when everyone was pushing supersport 600s and sales of those machines were through the roof.

Now, if you discount Honda's CBR650, there aren't any SS600s left, bar the ZX6R and that's a 2019 model, I think. And I can't even think of the last time I saw one on the road that wasn't five or six years old.
There's no point selling SS600 when they're not that much cheaper to buy or run than a litre bike, plus they're not as nice to ride. BMW have tried hard with their 800s but do you know anyone who bought one? That wee Yamaha is a pretty thing, but I can't see them being a best seller unless they get a race class.

The TRX wasn't really an old slug, it had the power of an early 80s 750 and IIRC they had tweaked the firing interval on the motor so it was basically a V-Twin in the way it made its power. Pretty sure they tried mimicking Ducati with the frame too.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigjawa wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:22 pm There's no point selling SS600 when they're not that much cheaper to buy or run than a litre bike
Ah well, once upon a time they were considerably cheaper to buy - and insure. Running costs? Well, they run much the same tyres, they're a bit lighter on fuel but I guess if you pay for a service it'll be the same.

But under £10k gets you the ZX6R, the base 1000 is £14.5k. That's a LOT of petrol. The Ninja 400 is £5599. That's even MORE petrol.
plus they're not as nice to ride.
That's one of the pretty subjective statements - it depends what you want from a bike. I've never really found a big capacity machine - with the possible exception of the Firestorm - that did it for me. I've always preferred bikes that are lighter and more nimble over outright power.
BMW have tried hard with their 800s but do you know anyone who bought one? That wee Yamaha is a pretty thing, but I can't see them being a best seller unless they get a race class.
That's another bike that's progressively gone from almost-but-not-quite budget to over-bored and overpriced. The original 650 with the 700cc engine with in at £6k before you started adding extras.
The TRX wasn't really an old slug, it had the power of an early 80s 750 and IIRC they had tweaked the firing interval on the motor so it was basically a V-Twin in the way it made its power. Pretty sure they tried mimicking Ducati with the frame too.
I never said it was a slug - just that there was nothing high tech about it. It actually ticked a lot of boxes for me - I'd already ridden a TDM and really liked that bike. But as I was somewhere between finishing my time as a courier and getting trained up as a CBT instructor, a cheaper to buy and more economical to run bike was my choice. I got another GS500E - another very underrated and bum-basic bike.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I've always found bigger bikes nicer to ride because I'm lazy, I like to be able to overtake without jumping up and down the box, I daresay I would enjoy a 600 on track, I certainly enjoyed screaming my SRAD, but on the road I just want to be able to turn the taps and go. The last 600 I rode was a CBF600 and I couldn't believe how gutless it was. Weight isn't that much of an issue now, the difference between a 600 and a 1000 is down to a matter of a few kilos.

I tend to keep bikes for a long time now so paying an extra couple of grand won't really matter over a decade.

I used to courier GS500s, they were cheap and kept going, even if they did look knackered after a year.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

asmethurst99 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:42 am I watched Lambchop on the trident last night - does make me want one when they get a bit cheaper and i've got somewhere to put it .
Watching lambchop recommend a bike would make me want to set fire to it.

That's actually unfair and inaccurate.

I'd just like to set fire to lambchop.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:02 pm The CBR650 is a sports tourer (like the original CBR600) so I think we can safely say Super Sports 600 is dead - personally I won't mourn it's passing
I will, not because I want one, but it was a step change in motorcycle history.
Before the SS600's the two stroke was king, but then the GPZ600 came out and following that the arms race to build the best 600 had all the magazines and punters buzzing about every single new model being released. I remember sitting with my mates in 1990 and 1991 and waiting for Performance Bikes to hit the shelves so we could grab one and see what new 600s were being released, or what they were like in test rides.

That buzz just isn't there now, the internet updates on a second by second basis and has done away with anticipation of the monthly mags and no one seems terribly excited about new releases anyway.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feature ... -GivH4zsgA

Looks like they're going to call it R7!!!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:08 pm https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feature ... -GivH4zsgA

Looks like they're going to call it R7!!!
A sheep in wolf's clothing.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I guess the name doesn't really mean anything to the demographic the bike will be targeted at.