Are Trump protests finished?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Are Trump protests finished?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

As if to prove my own point, I now get a totally different set of videos.

The first one which appears to NOT be debunking video is from KUSI (I think, closed the window now) news with about 16k views about 20 results in. I actually get all the multi hour long unedited "webcam" type ones before it now, plus a load of comment videos.

EDIT: I suppose where we differ on this is that you assume YouTube "knows" what you want and should be showing you that, like some kind of video librarian. I instead assume that it thinks I want "stuff generally to do with the state farm video" and tries to show stuff in that vague area. Neither approach is categorically the right thing to do, but I suspect my view of how YouTube works is closer to reality.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Saga Lout wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:20 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:11 pm Nope, the rolleyes was because I'm sure you do - highlighting the absurdity of what you (and others) have suggested about censorship.
Yes, it's absurd. Google owns Youtube, why wouldn't Youtube use Google's search engine? Why wouldn't they use the same algorithms? They obviously don't, I don't know why.
I can guess at least one reason - they have different reasons for their search results. What those reasons are and how they implicate on the algorithms are closely-guarded, which is why there industries set up to get websites further up the search results. The absurdity is, of course, that something could be determined (whether by you or ANYONE else) worthy of censorship, by one search and not the other.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm I suspect my view of how YouTube works is closer to reality.
:) But doesn't make such a good conspiracy theory ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:20 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm I suspect my view of how YouTube works is closer to reality.
:) But doesn't make such a good conspiracy theory ;)
If it was a newspaper people would feel differently I think. In my mind, the thing to remember is that YouTube isn't the media and it's not making any claims about being the source of truth. It's not trying to do anything other than make as many people watch as many videos as possible really...well, that's the primary goal at least AFAICT.
OBO

Post by OBO »

I discovered that if you criticise islam in the youtube comments they ban you...permanently.
😞
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Horse wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:20 pm :) But doesn't make such a good conspiracy theory ;)
There's a secret department housed in a secret system of tunnels and subterranean offices deep below Whitehall where a huge army of civil servants is tasked with inventing conspiracy theories*. That's why there are so many conspiracy theories. They do it so that when people ask inconvenient questions it's easy to label them conspiracy theories rather than answer the question.

This is not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.

* All governments have similar departments and they compete to see who can create the best conspiracy theories. The Americans are currently winning with their moon landing hoax. FACT
Horse

Post by Horse »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:46 pm
* All governments have similar departments and they compete to see who can create the best conspiracy theories. The Americans are currently winning with their moon landing hoax. FACT
We used to have an unofficial competition in the office to get the best toy to play with. Mine was a 4.5 litre aero engine powered wind machine to blow over 50 metres of fence. But the other mob won, with a riot water cannon truck to try and roll over.

So an international uncivil servant competition? Sounds feasible.

And, of course, when a politician says "I will do everything in my power" that is usually true :(
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

On the topic of YouTube censorship and the surprising balance between what is allowed and what is not, I give you Sydney Watson.

The topic area is not safe for work and she plays clips from videos YouTube would have you believe are perfectly acceptable.
Spoiler
Don't shoot the messenger! I would say this is an example of what we can expect to see here but of course, it is already here. Include the latest presidential decrees from the JoeBama administration (critical race theory is back, "equity" is being implemented, domestic terrorism a.k.a. Trumpism is the real problem etc.) and I submit we have not seen the back of Trump or Trump protests by a long way.

I really can't see the average god fearing, red necked American putting up with this nonsense for long.

PS the "Ground News" app sounds interesting as it purports to collect news stories from both perspectives.

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event= ... s%2FSydney

I'll have a look at that and see how it goes...
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Coca Cola is telling its white employees to be less white. When I tried it my boss told me black face was "not appropriate" at work. :roll:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

There are idiots in all walks of life, and that includes managers of global companies. The best thing to do with idiots is to ignore them, trying to argue with them is a lost cause because they are idiots.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

cheb wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:32 am I'm fairly certain the Romans did similar, passing a law removing names and statues.
It's happening in the UK right now without even requiring a law to do so.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

OBO wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm I discovered that if you criticise islam in the youtube comments they ban you...permanently.
😞
Bet you were polite and tactful as anything, too.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

DEADPOOL wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 am I really can't see the average god fearing, red necked American putting up with this nonsense for long.
The 'average god fearing, red necked American ' still believes Noah's Ark was real.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am
DEADPOOL wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:08 am I really can't see the average god fearing, red necked American putting up with this nonsense for long.
The 'average god fearing, red necked American ' still believes Noah's Ark was real.
Finally we agree. Quite how that squares with brain dead Biden's transgender crusade, let alone the principles of critical race theory we'll just have to wait and see.

It will also be interesting to see how his apology for Chinese persecution of the Uighurs and breaking the Sino-British agreement regarding Hong Kong pans out with Biden suggesting it's just their "cultural norms". I'd be worried about that if I was living in Taiwan...
OBO

Post by OBO »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:28 am
OBO wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm I discovered that if you criticise islam in the youtube comments they ban you...permanently.
😞
Bet you were polite and tactful as anything, too.
Troll.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Not going to say anything contentious, I am just going to point out a little fact let from none other than Jen Psaki, the White House official press office.

The White House are in fact in collusion with social media (FaceBook, Google, Instagram, Twitter) increasing “disinformation research and tracking” , flagging problematic posts”, deleting users and groups etc.

This is the government deciding what is and isn’t allowed on a public forum. FaceBook has now been outed as the propaganda arm of the US administration. This is a HUGE story and impacts anyone who uses the internet to communicate.

No wonder you’ll never hear any more about it….
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The government have been deciding what is and isn't allowed in public fora for centuries. First in print media, then on the radio and then on TV. All media in fact, so one could equally argue social media is overdue.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:19 pm First in print media,
First in word of mouth.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

So who's in charge then? (Of the disinformation)
Trump?
Biden?
Someone else?
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:19 pm The government have been deciding what is and isn't allowed in public fora for centuries. First in print media, then on the radio and then on TV. All media in fact, so one could equally argue social media is overdue.
No you are confusing the law of the land as enforced by the judicial system with the administration of the government of the day.

It should be obvious by now that the entire social media, mainstream (aka legacy) media and big tech were always left wing biased. Now the administration are admitting to controlling and manipulating these “independent” entities quite openly. That is fantastically dangerous and not merely “more of the same”. I am somewhat aghast that any sensible person could condone partisan governmental control of free speech.

That’s what they do in Russia, China and North Korea. State control of the media.