What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Asian Boss wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:11 pm
the_priest wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am
the_priest wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 am Last night it was, waiting 3 hours for boiler engineer to service the old boiler in the house I'm trying to sell. Shared ownership stuff adds on layers of "difficulty" in trying to sell. He found it was the filler loop not working and then proceeded to kill it. I'm heading there just now to see if the place is flooded or not. He did get the boiler working and so it is a warm house again, but now I have to wait and see if the boiler is over pressured or just knackered...
Visited the house this morning. Boiler is deaded. Not playing ball. Now getting quotes for replacement.
Seven jet skis. :(
Six geese a laying :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I arranged to meet a friend to walk up the mountain a little way. I warned her I was slow and stopped often "to admire the view"!! She was walking up on snowshoes with a snowboard on her back, so happy to stop a lot

Well, damn if we didn't walk all the way up to the top of a mountain :o :o :banana-dance: Not something I've ever done!!! Always wanted to tho!

Sadly the snow conditions weren't very good so I fell over a lot on the way back down - well halfway as from halfway the piste had been bashed recently so wasn't so bad!!! The top half was a total bastard tho :( :( Lumpy, soft then hard snow, claggy. And worst, very deep!! LOL So when I did fall it was a total shit to try and get the skis off and then get myself out of the snow and back on the skis!! LOL But we made it up and back. Bloody awesome!!

We decided we walk at a good pace for each other, so we'll do more - just not to the top very often as I can't ski back down very well :lol: :lol:

This is the bottom of the Verdons Nord lift - where I normally stop!!

We had a reviving genepi there - I'd have waited till we got to the top if I'd have known we were going to get that far!!

The snow on this didn't look as bad on the way up as on the way down!! LOL Didn't help (I guess) that I was VERY tired on the way back!! You can see where the chairlift finishes at the top, that's where we went to!!

Virtually at the top (probably only 100m to where we had a break and about 5-10 metres up. The mountain behind me is the one I want to walk to the top of but the pistes up to that are a bit steeper!! One day!! :D

Views from the top

I fell over quite a bit on the down!! (Five times :( ) Luckily the snow was soft. But it did mean that when falling and trying to protect my right shoulder, my skis dug into the snow - they didn't release as the snow let them dig in and so it was a serious challenge to get the bastards off, me out of the snow, and the skis back on!! LOL :angry-cussingblack:

I was wearing mittens, honest - it isn't the gesture it looks like!!

Seriously hard work. Some friends did the walk up in a couple of hours at the weekend - Nikki and I took nearly 4 hours!! :lol: LOTS of stopping to admire the view/catch a breath/recover!! :lol: :lol:

Sadly, due to the many falls, it took a bloody long time to get back down too! :lol:

But - now I've done it once, I know I can! Even if it takes hours. I'm very very happy :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

the_priest wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am
the_priest wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 am Last night it was, waiting 3 hours for boiler engineer to service the old boiler in the house I'm trying to sell. Shared ownership stuff adds on layers of "difficulty" in trying to sell. He found it was the filler loop not working and then proceeded to kill it. I'm heading there just now to see if the place is flooded or not. He did get the boiler working and so it is a warm house again, but now I have to wait and see if the boiler is over pressured or just knackered...
Visited the house this morning. Boiler is deaded. Not playing ball. Now getting quotes for replacement.
Have you tried a quote site? something like:
https://heatable.co.uk
Not tried the full process but it gave me ammo when haggling with my local chap...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Taipan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:30 pm No chance, but you can admire it in all its lemony magnificence!!

Needs some tens and hundreds. 😛
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:56 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:30 pm No chance, but you can admire it in all its lemony magnificence!!

Its lemon icing but it also has orange zest in it which doesn't show. I have to say it is one tasty cake and I don't really eat cake!! I am a MasterBaker! :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'd eat it!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

You’d have to be quick. Went out with my dogs for a couple of hours earlier and the vultures that live here descended whilst I was out!!

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Taipan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:12 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:56 pm

Its lemon icing but it also has orange zest in it which doesn't show. I have to say it is one tasty cake and I don't really eat cake!! I am a MasterBaker! :lol:
Hang on a minute....are they digestives. 😲
Yamaha rocket 3
Druid

Post by Druid »

I've been redecorating the kitchen. I thought I'd box out the pipes and flue on top of the boiler, then used a drill to find a plastic hot water pipe buried in the wall :(
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Managed to contact a friend in the parish who is a heating engineer by trade and he just happened to be free this morning. Had a quick look, laughed and said "easy fix, relax and I'll sort it out. One filler loop and one air pressure sensor and all done and dusted. Paid him for his troubles too!

Then went to the community group to have a chat with people who have real troubles and then had the Holy Commuion service which was very special for various reasons, off to a war memorial for a short service to give thanks for lives given and back for evening prayer.

Now for a quiet evening and another glass of chardonnay.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Taipan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:12 pm
I ‘think’ you’ve mistyped a K instead of a T ;)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Did a bit of yard work while we had a B2 flying around the patch making multiple passes over the house :)
Attachments
B2ac.jpg
B2ac.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm Did a bit of yard work while we had a B2 flying around the patch making multiple passes over the house :)
Thats the "hiding in plain sight" recce work done with something they knew you would look up at , the covert drone strike is next ;)
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm Did a bit of yard work while we had a B2 flying around the patch making multiple passes over the house :)
Great photo.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Took wife to the hospital for her booked vaccine. They turned her away as she is a "nursery" school teacher, having a brain mass for underlying health issues is not something worrying to them either. Her younger colleagues all got vaccinated earlier this week. Ah well, she will try rebooking tomorrow and via the pharmacy instead. So that will be the Oxford jab which is less effective against the SA variants that are in our area.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've seen them a few times flying around my office. Our buildings where pretty much lined up with the runways at Brize Norton and Fairford, a couple of miles 'upwind'. I assume the B2s were at Fairford, you'd see them flying around a bit and then a gap of years before they came back.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Had a tooth out. :(

But I am ripped to the tits on....stuff. 8-)

When it all wears off. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Skub wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 am Had a tooth out. :(

But I am ripped to the tits on....stuff. 8-)

When it all wears off. :(
I'm on amoxicillin for 5 days to kill the root canal infection, then its back for the last roll of the dice on the tooth (it's been "root canaled "about 3 times in 30 years so it's not done too bad. If that fails it's cut through the gum to the base of the tooth, knock the end off it and seal it with cement. Happy Days. Oh and Dentist has said no to an implant as I'm an MTB'er and the consequences of a screwed to jaw implant and floor high speed interface don't bear thinking about.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

And that really is a cracking picture. I wonder what the patch near the nose is, a repair or an aperture for radar?
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:42 am
I'm on amoxicillin for 5 days to kill the root canal infection, then its back for the last roll of the dice on the tooth (it's been "root canaled "about 3 times in 30 years so it's not done too bad. If that fails it's cut through the gum to the base of the tooth, knock the end off it and seal it with cement. Happy Days. Oh and Dentist has said no to an implant as I'm an MTB'er and the consequences of a screwed to jaw implant and floor high speed interface don't bear thinking about.
Right enough,I'd not thought of the risks of a pedally bike crash. :shock:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955