Are Trump protests finished?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yorick

Re: Are Trump protests finished?

Post by Yorick »

If the video of matching shorts and flip flop ensemble goes missing, I'm fucked :(
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

<sigh>

OK well I am somewhat disappointed so many people here seem to cling to such a simplistic version of reality that censorship works merely by deleting stuff. The people who own and run big tech are not fools, Google and YouTube probably home some of the greatest minds currently working in the field of IT.

Sure, huge chunks of YouTube were deleted in a massive cull, most (if not all) to the right of the political spectrum. Some of them of course deserved to go though I don't watch all of them but it also took out some quite large communities/channels which once gone are difficult to reunite. Inexplicably, Google suffered an "outage" at exactly that moment too. Did that ever fathom out?

Yes a few quite well known people were simply silenced too. The president of the USA was saying stuff Twitter didn't like, YouTube follow the ban plus of course Google and all the rest. The press office too was silenced by big tech and mainstream media. If it's not trending on Twitter, it's not news. That is the new mantra for mainstream media who meekly follow the language their masters use. It wasn't a riot or a demonstration, it was an insurrection.

Parler was introduced to restore some semblance of balance, giving a space for left wing dissenters to at least voice an opinion of their own and not merely parrot the newspeak being presented to them as truth. So of course, that was famously silenced too.

That sort of thing is obvious and uncontested (I hope) but the rest of the system of thought control is more subtle. YouTube videos are found via Google. If you already know what you're looking for, it's easy. Despite YouTube accidentally removing subscriptions, you can pretty much remember some of the names you follow. They will appear lower down in search engine rankings but we all know if you're not on page one of a Goggle search, you do not exist.

More subtlety is applied by simply demonetising channels. Say the wrong word and your entire advertising revenue is withheld. And I don't mean that metaphorically, I mean if you use the word "fraud" in your video, a.i. algorithms will assess the content for election discussions, and an entire tranche of your video library will be demonetised (just in case). There is no appeal.

Well how about the "factcheckers"? Seem to be a fair few of them popping up. Well they are merely a front for left wing, democratic nonsense too. I recently gave an example where snopes classified a report as mostly false despite, as they admit in their propaganda, being factually true. This "flag" means search rankings will be reduced (if not zeroed), hit counts (the number of views) reduced in popularity and re-tweets unavailable (for example).

All small negative feedbacks in a to a chaotic system which thrives on sheer volume. Positive feedback in a chaotic system can lead to extraordinary extremes in coverage and publicity. Memes thrive on those figures, "viral" videos are created by such numbers. So a small tweak here and there can dampen down a story before it can develop or gain traction.

The latest development is that FaceBook, Google and YouTube etc. are working in unison to create a self-reporting network. Sounds fair but actually what it means is for example AOC can ask her (considerable) following to flag a tweet and once flagged, those comments are deleted, suppressed, censored whatever. Not automatically but after an intervention by our helpful big tech who will decide what we can hear and what we can not.

Increasingly they will also decide what we can say and the very words we must use to comply. I'll be honest, I never thought I would live to see the day when thoughtcrime would be assessed by the Ministry of Truth.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:04 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:24 pm I dunno which video you're referring to specifically, but if I search "state farm counting video" on YouTube I get three "live" (not actually live any more :D) multi hour videos of vote counting and loads of comment vids on the first page.

Clearly I'm in the inner circle and trusted to know these things.
Isn't strange that all the conspiracy theorists manage to quite easily find the information that's been mysteriously hudden from them. :P
Isn't it strange that if I search Youtube for the State Farm Arena video I get several videos of people talking about "fact checking" the video I want to see but not the video I want to see? Once I find the video and I search for it by its title it's fourth on the list, behind three videos of people talking about the video.

Mr D. The video I want to see is the State Farm Arena video, the one I posted earlier. This one:

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yaaaaaaaaawn.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If is search for the title of that video I find that video immediately....unsurprisingly. That doesn't really demonstrate much of anything at all. :D

What are you searching for to find/not find it?
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:52 pm IWhat are you searching for to find/not find it?
Let me see if I can help you out:
Saga Lout wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:50 pm Isn't it strange that if I search Youtube for the State Farm Arena video I get several videos of people talking about "fact checking" the video I want to see but not the video I want to see? Once I find the video and I search for it by its title it's fourth on the list, behind three videos of people talking about the video.
Or, in other words, I put "state farm arena video" into Youtube's search box.

I'm sure I could think of different ways to put it but I'm not convinced you want to understand.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:52 pm If is search for the title of that video I find that video immediately....unsurprisingly. That doesn't really demonstrate much of anything at all. :D

What are you searching for to find/not find it?
Is this the unknown unknowns ?
Horse

Post by Horse »

DEADPOOL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm
Parler was introduced to restore some semblance of balance ... So of course, that was famously silenced too.
Still begs the question: why haven't all of the affronted people put there dollars up and created a non-censorable hub, a united resource for all of the videos, discussion, etc.? ie Their own Parler, Tube, etc. And that's not just the 'ordinary' people supporting the service, it includes the Trump types and anyone else who believes that this alleged censorship is happening.
DEADPOOL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm Well how about the "factcheckers"? Seem to be a fair few of them popping up. Well they are merely a front for left wing, democratic nonsense too. I recently gave an example where snopes classified a report as mostly false despite, as they admit in their propaganda, being factually true. This "flag" means search rankings will be reduced (if not zeroed), hit counts (the number of views) reduced in popularity and re-tweets unavailable (for example).
That's quite amusing since Snopes was quoted here, in this thread, debunking a rumour.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:04 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:52 pm IWhat are you searching for to find/not find it?
Saga Lout wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:50 pm Isn't it strange that if I search Youtube for the State Farm Arena video I get several videos of people talking about "fact checking" the video I want to see but not the video I want to see? Once I find the video and I search for it by its title it's fourth on the list, behind three videos of people talking about the video.

I'm sure I could think of different ways to put it but I'm not convinced you want to understand.
What was the URL of the video that Google found?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:04 pm

If I search "state farm arena video" in YouTube the one in question is a first page hit for me.

As above, you must be on some kind of watch list :D

Like I said, if there's some great hand of censorship at work here it's rubbish.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Horse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:07 pm
What was the URL of the video that Google found?
Let me see if I can help you out.

Mr D. The video I want to see is the State Farm Arena video, the one I posted earlier. This one:

Does that help? :roll:
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Horse wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 pm
DEADPOOL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm
Parler was introduced to restore some semblance of balance ... So of course, that was famously silenced too.
Still begs the question: why haven't all of the affronted people put there dollars up and created a non-censorable hub, a united resource for all of the videos, discussion, etc.? ie Their own Parler, Tube, etc. And that's not just the 'ordinary' people supporting the service, it includes the Trump types and anyone else who believes that this alleged censorship is happening.
DEADPOOL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm Well how about the "factcheckers"? Seem to be a fair few of them popping up. Well they are merely a front for left wing, democratic nonsense too. I recently gave an example where snopes classified a report as mostly false despite, as they admit in their propaganda, being factually true. This "flag" means search rankings will be reduced (if not zeroed), hit counts (the number of views) reduced in popularity and re-tweets unavailable (for example).
That's quite amusing since Snopes was quoted here, in this thread, debunking a rumour.
Using Parler as an example for how easy it would be to take on Amazon, let alone Google is arguing against yourself. Look what happened. You may be referring to my story on snopes for all I know.

If it was that easy to build a rival to Google, YouTube, FaceBook etc. the world woud be full of multi-billionaires. Such services do exist, DuckDuckGo for example but we all still use Google anyway.

What generally happens in the world of big tech is when threatened they will either buy up the fledgeling company for pocket money or they will gang up on the usurpers and destroy them. Why do you think there isn't an alternative secondhand market to rival eBay?

But since you use the phrase "alleged censorship" I know my words are falling on deaf ears.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Is there a prize for the biggest and best arguing?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm Is there a prize for the biggest and best arguing?
You win the election.

Until someone finds more votes mysteriously.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm Is there a prize for the biggest and best arguing?
Yes, but they're not prepared to fund it :thumbup: :banana-dance:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

DEADPOOL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm stuff
What i want to know is who is using the likes of YouTube / Facebook / Twitter as their source of 'truth' ? And how much time do they have to spend on any media (social or otherwise) fecking curating it to notice when their favourite videos / threads / channels go missing?

If YouTube / Facebook / Twitter did have an algorithm which let all the deadbeat whinging and horseshit slide metaphorically down the side of the sofa I wouldn't blame them. And leaves more room for me to endlessly watch people taking carburettors apart
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm
You win the election.

Until someone finds more votes mysteriously.
On this thread beardy boy.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

As above....I found the offending video, which SL previously claimed has been removed entirely, on the first page of YouTube results using the prescribed search terms.

I think this is just a lesson in the way search algorithms work and not censorship at work. I dunno, maybe the fact I've not searched much for this topic brings the "obvious" videos up first whereas SL has looked loads so it discounts the big hitters thinking he's already seen them. Whatever it is, I suspect the explanation is pretty mundane.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:25 pm
DEADPOOL wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 pm stuff
What i want to know is who is using the likes of YouTube / Facebook / Twitter as their source of 'truth' ? And how much time do they have to spend on any media (social or otherwise) fecking curating it to notice when their favourite videos / threads / channels go missing?

If YouTube / Facebook / Twitter did have an algorithm which let all the deadbeat whinging and horseshit slide metaphorically down the side of the sofa I wouldn't blame them. And leaves more room for me to endlessly watch people taking carburettors apart
That is a perfectly valid point of course. If you want to bury your head in the sand and ignore everything happening in the world that is absolutely your prerogative. It does not however bestow you with the authority to criticise those who do care about personal freedom of expression.

As for finding "stuff" on you tube: if you're asking me, I have already explained I never take the "headlines" at face value. E.g. innocent schoolboy knocked off his motorcycle is a perfect example where virtually every individual word is a lie.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:28 pm beardy boy.
Reported! Hairism!

;)