Middle age quandary?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Middle age quandary?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I find it very hard to argue against Yoricks fondness for the Gixer....as he says, as soon as they removed the unfair rule advantage Ducati had in superbikes then the Japs started winning. :D In fact, the Japanese started winning even before that, they just had to take advantage of the same rules!

I dunno though....for the most part bikes need to tug at the heartstrings. For the majority of us the fastest bike on track is pretty much irrelevant.

WTF do I know, my favourite brand is probably Honda. The dullest of the lot :D
fil2

Post by fil2 »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am I do get pissed off sometimes as there is definitely bike snobbery.
Oh, it's only a Japanese 4 cylinder. How quaint.

I can easily afford a brand new V4 but I don't fucking want one
you have a level of snobbery against all other bikes except gsxr1000's....

You like what you like...the point is that !! buy what stirs your soul or heart ! the rest is irrelevant !...
fil2

Post by fil2 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:27 am I find it very hard to argue against Yoricks fondness for the Gixer....as he says, as soon as they removed the unfair rule advantage Ducati had in superbikes then the Japs started winning. :D In fact, the Japanese started winning even before that, they just had to take advantage of the same rules!

I dunno though....for the most part bikes need to tug at the heartstrings. For the majority of us the fastest bike on track is pretty much irrelevant.

WTF do I know, my favourite brand is probably Honda. The dullest of the lot :D
Dull lol !!!!!!!! doing quite well in BSB ! the SP2 is stunning !! …………..u like it buy it ! fuck em all !!!! I mean some people like MV's...………..Christ !!!
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:23 am I do get pissed off sometimes as there is definitely bike snobbery.

:D
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:58 am
Potter wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:54 am If you want a race rep then buy the 1299, IMHO that's about the best looking and it'll feel a lot more special than a GSXR.
This in spades. Without being too harsh to what's a great bike, no-one is ever going to walk into the garage, pull the soft dust cover off the bike and think "wow, that's awesome that GSXR".... Ducatis bring something to the table that Japanese bikes cannot, maybe not all Ducatis, like a 696 monster or a 800 Scrambler, but the big boy superbikes, they bring a WOW factor that very very few (if any) other bikes are able to bring to the public.

That's without even taking into account how it rides and will make you feel riding it.

Ducati all day... and twice on Wednesdays.
Says it better than I can.

Not ridden a 1299 but riding it is only part of it- I owned an 1199 - I sold it within the year as it was just too single purpose for me at the time but I loved every minute of my time with it- epic to ride and loved even just looking at it or polishing it
I've not owned the Gixaaaah but have ridden the current model RR- thought it was brilliant on track (my lasting impression is of it being like a very very fast 600), but didn't make me want to own it.
My 10 bob's worth- if you don't buy the 1299, you'll always be wishing you had- do it! 8-)
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Panigale!

* or is that only the answer when it's 'what small car should I buy for my family of 4' ? ;)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

What he wants is a 31 year old 63,000 mile FZ750
Honda Owner
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

BARNEY 20 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:25 pm Hi,thank you for letting me join the forum .Been lurking for a while :crazy:
At nearly 54 yrs old I,m after another sports bike and feel if I leave things much longer I,ll have missed the boat.
My wife says better regret something you have done rather than something you did not do. .So I could buy a new gsxrr thou or the alternative is a ducati 1299s on a 16 plate.The last v-twin I had was a Honda sp1 .Currently ride a zx10r c1h and an 09 fire blade.
The head says Suzuki but the heart ducati.I think sometimes we need to throw caution to the wind and say f--k it .Cheers
Riding a Ducati Sportsbike when your bones creak, you need a piss after 15 mins because of the vibrations, and it takes weeks for you to be able to stand up straight again is a PITA ( I had a 998s).
Buy a Diavel :) :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:01 am
BARNEY 20 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:25 pm Hi,thank you for letting me join the forum .Been lurking for a while :crazy:
At nearly 54 yrs old I,m after another sports bike and feel if I leave things much longer I,ll have missed the boat.
My wife says better regret something you have done rather than something you did not do. .So I could buy a new gsxrr thou or the alternative is a ducati 1299s on a 16 plate.The last v-twin I had was a Honda sp1 .Currently ride a zx10r c1h and an 09 fire blade.
The head says Suzuki but the heart ducati.I think sometimes we need to throw caution to the wind and say f--k it .Cheers
Riding a Ducati Sportsbike when your bones creak, you need a piss after 15 mins because of the vibrations, and it takes weeks for you to be able to stand up straight again is a PITA ( I had a 998s).
yeah but.... DAMN they're impressive !
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't want one either and I could also buy one of each, but I think in general Weeksy is right, there is nothing wrong with the GSXR, but compared to a high end Ducati it's more of a no frills get-the-job-done type of bike than the Ducati. Spending more obviously doesn't necessarily mean you'll be faster, it's just a more expensive luxury toy.

Aspiring to own a big expensive bike is an emotion driven experience and it's less about lap times and more about how it makes you feel.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Potter wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:12 am

I don't want one either and I could also buy one of each, but I think in general Weeksy is right, there is nothing wrong with the GSXR, but compared to a high end Ducati it's more of a no frills get-the-job-done type of bike than the Ducati. Spending more obviously doesn't necessarily mean you'll be faster, it's just a more expensive luxury toy.

Aspiring to own a big expensive bike is an emotion driven experience and it's less about lap times and more about how it makes you feel.
Putting it another way, I see it as a similar sort of thing as comparing a Tommy H bag to a Louis- both perform the same basic function, arguably with differences, but there is a distinct market for both manufacturers.

On the face of it, Yozza is a Tommy-boy with some Louis-boy mates :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Tricky wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 am On the face of it, Yozza is a George @ ASDA-boy with some Louis-boy mates :D
EFA
fil2

Post by fil2 »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:04 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:01 am
yeah but.... DAMN they're impressive !
an

Not the same on the 1199 / 1299 and V4 the riding position is so much better and relaxed than its 996 cousins lol
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I took middle age as the excuse to do whatever I wanted.

I'd suggest getting yoursen a PAWG. But don't Google it on the work computer.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Get a GSXR thou. It's the idea machine for the older man. :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

BARNEY 20 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:25 pm Currently ride a zx10r c1h
Since you're asking,that one will do for me. I had mine 14 years. Sometimes you have to scratch an itch and your wife has it nailed on the regret front.

Welcome to the forum man. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

You’ve already got 2 inline 4 Japanese bikes so what’s the point in buying another?

I’m sure a 2021 GSXR would be a great bike but if you’ve got the money go for something different/exotic.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

If the 1299 is as uncomfortable to ride as the 999, then you will spend more time looking at it than riding it. Borrowed my mates 999 for a weekend. Whilst great when going quick on B roads, it was a total pain in the arse (shoulders, wrists and back) in town and on dual carriageways. I love V-twins, but this was one I could never live with.

Had GSX-R1000's at work, and often spent 10 hours a day astride it. BMW S1000RR was very similar in its ergonomics and all day comfortable (though neither comfortable as an FJR1300, but everything is relative).
BARNEY 20

Post by BARNEY 20 »

Right :mrgreen: had a right f---k on with the insurance company to amend the policy without reg details ,multiple bikes that is.
Keeping both the zx10r and the blade .Looked online at a 3.5k milage 16 plate 1299s ,fitted with well worn track tyres :silent:
Bike looked clean as a whistle on the website pictures. Now my guessing is that the bike has been a track bike or someone has fitted track scrubs to it for economy or kudos reasons?.If economy my initial guess is that a front tyre should last more than 3.5k unless squared off .Online chat with the vendor I asked for reg and previous number of owners,still waiting.
On a side note I have accumulated a grand total of 2013 miles on both bikes last yr.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

If the seller has race tyres on the photos, he's either stupid or stupid.

You make the choice.

I always put the original tyres back on mine for the photos.