Current affairs, Politics, News.
JackyJoll

Re: Are Trump protests finished?

Post by JackyJoll »

First ever failed show trials.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mussels wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:51 pm As far as I can tell two impeachment processes made it as far as the upper house but neither succeeded, so Trump wasn't impeached. If you count someone starting the process as impeachment then Biden's already been impeached.
Without putting too finer point on it, you tell wrong. He’s been impeached twice. The senate acquitted him both times (as expected).

The actual impeachment happened when the house voted to impeach him. The house haven’t voted to impeach Biden.

60 seconds on google will give you the process.

No president has ever been found guilty in an impeachment trial, yet we can all name the ones that have been impeached; it becomes their legacy.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:08 pm First ever failed show trials.
Apart from the trials of the other impeached presidents?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:15 pm
Did some idiot say they were show trials as well?
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:34 pm
wheelnut wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:15 pm
Did some idiot say they were show trials as well?
This idiot did.

They were put on for a show. What would you call them?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

demographic wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:51 pm I'm not totally convinced they failed with this.
They showed a fair bit of disgusting behavior of the rioters and a significant amount of republicans nailed their colours to the Trump mast.

I'd say the democrats played this reasonably well considering the options.

We'll see in a few years I guess.
Showing videos of riots and the disgusting behavior of the rioters is hardly evidence that Trump instigated it though is it. It's simply evidence of rioting and disgusting behaviour.

You would have thought that when impeaching Trump they'd have had some real evidence that he was guilty of the charge but the didn't. I'd say the Democrats failed miserably considering the options. :P
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Well, Mich McConnell seemed pretty convinced of Donalds guilt, he just claimed they couldn't convict him after he was out of office.

"WASHINGTON — Senator Mitch McConnell said he believed that Donald J. Trump was undeniably guilty of a “disgraceful dereliction of duty” on Jan. 6, when he incited and then failed to do anything to halt a deadly assault on the Capitol.

“There’s no question — none — that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,” Mr. McConnell, the Kentucky Republican and minority leader, declared Saturday afternoon in an anti-Trump diatribe so scathing that it could have been delivered by any of the nine House prosecutors seeking a conviction.

But minutes before he spoke, when it came time for the most powerful Republican in Washington to hold Mr. Trump to account on the charge of causing the riot, Mr. McConnell said his hands were tied. It could not be done, he argued. He voted to acquit.

“We have no power to convict and disqualify a former officeholder who is now a private citizen,” Mr. McConnell, who said he reached that conclusion after “intense reflection,” said as he delivered a lawyerly explanation on the limits of Senate power.

Offering his most damning condemnation of Mr. Trump to date, Mr. McConnell accused the former president of spreading lies about a stolen election that he knew would stoke dangerous acts by his followers — though the senator said little about his own refusal for weeks to recognize President Biden’s victory, which helped create the conditions for Mr. Trump’s claims to continue to spread, unchallenged by top Republicans."
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

It will be interesting to see what happens next. Let’s see if they go after him for his business dealing or leave him be.

They’ll probably get him for tax evasion, it’s the usual American way. :D
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

demographic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:48 am Well, Mich McConnell seemed pretty convinced of Donalds guilt, he just claimed they couldn't convict him after he was out of office.

"WASHINGTON — Senator Mitch McConnell said he believed that Donald J. Trump was undeniably guilty of a “disgraceful dereliction of duty” on Jan. 6, when he incited and then failed to do anything to halt a deadly assault on the Capitol.

“There’s no question — none — that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,” Mr. McConnell, the Kentucky Republican and minority leader, declared Saturday afternoon in an anti-Trump diatribe so scathing that it could have been delivered by any of the nine House prosecutors seeking a conviction.

But minutes before he spoke, when it came time for the most powerful Republican in Washington to hold Mr. Trump to account on the charge of causing the riot, Mr. McConnell said his hands were tied. It could not be done, he argued. He voted to acquit.

“We have no power to convict and disqualify a former officeholder who is now a private citizen,” Mr. McConnell, who said he reached that conclusion after “intense reflection,” said as he delivered a lawyerly explanation on the limits of Senate power.

Offering his most damning condemnation of Mr. Trump to date, Mr. McConnell accused the former president of spreading lies about a stolen election that he knew would stoke dangerous acts by his followers — though the senator said little about his own refusal for weeks to recognize President Biden’s victory, which helped create the conditions for Mr. Trump’s claims to continue to spread, unchallenged by top Republicans."

I wonder, just a little bit, what Mich McConnell's stance will be, as a senior Republican politician, when Trump decides he's going to run for president again next time round as a Republican.

I just wonder.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Dunno, thats one hell of a U turn if thats his plan.

Stranger things have happened though, especially in US politics so I guess we'll see over the next few years.

I suspect the Republicans in general (as opposed to the 15 or so % of them that love everything Donald says) just want to move on from whats basically an international embarrassment and try to win the next election.

Nailing their colours to the Donald mast just prolongs the defeat in the election to every day they whine about it. I suspect the Democrats are happy to let them do that.

We'll see I guess. <shrug>
irie

Post by irie »

demographic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:50 am Dunno, thats one hell of a U turn if thats his plan.

Stranger things have happened though, especially in US politics so I guess we'll see over the next few years.

I suspect the Republicans in general (as opposed to the 15 or so % of them that love everything Donald says) just want to move on from whats basically an international embarrassment and try to win the next election.

Nailing their colours to the Donald mast just prolongs the defeat in the election to every day they whine about it. I suspect the Democrats are happy to let them do that.

We'll see I guess. <shrug>
Trump won't see it as a U turn.

Trump is a narcissist and will see it as trying to get back what was wrongfully taken from him.
Yambo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:36 am
I wonder, just a little bit, what Mich McConnell's stance will be, as a senior Republican politician, when Trump decides he's going to run for president again next time round as a Republican.

I just wonder.
Me too.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Yambo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:30 am Showing videos of riots and the disgusting behavior of the rioters is hardly evidence that Trump instigated it though is it. It's simply evidence of rioting and disgusting behaviour.

You would have thought that when impeaching Trump they'd have had some real evidence that he was guilty of the charge but the didn't. I'd say the Democrats failed miserably considering the options. :P
Sadly it appears the truth is more mundane. They gave up once the defence insisted on having some semblance of a legal argument by introducing witnesses. I appreciate this is being flagged as if that was just to stop this charade being mired even further in confusion but no, it is because the entire impeachment relied on hearsay, rhetoric and emotion.

For example, five people died at this violent insurrection right? Including a police officer murdered in the line of duty.

Err. Turns out no. Two of these violent, dangerous invaders died from having a heart attack, another one got trampled in the rush (allegedly, even that might not be true) and the police officer died of a stroke, after going back to the station, a day later.

Only one person ended up being killed during the riot, she was shot in the chest.

Why is this important? Well, it's not. Not anymore. The carnival is over, the fat lady sang, end of story. The picture painted by the media narrative will be firmly etched in the minds of those who read the stories, watched the news, believed the hype. It's only later that the truth emerges and then of course, it's too late.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

DEADPOOL wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:35 am ... it is because the entire impeachment relied on hearsay, rhetoric and emotion.
You're right. It did. Which was kind of the point.
OBO

Post by OBO »

Trumps attorney comes across as a decent human being...worth listening to the end.

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Interesting version of events, I'm surprised they didn't cut him off earlier.
I guess that showed that it was all just a political circus without the integrity expected in a real court.
Horse

Post by Horse »

DEADPOOL wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:35 am Sadly it appears the truth is more mundane. .

For example, five people died at this violent insurrection right? Including a police officer murdered in the line of duty.

Err. Turns out no. ... violent, dangerous invader died from having a heart attack,
Was it true that one guy's heart attack was triggered by self-inflicted tazer to the testicles?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

DEADPOOL wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:35 am Sadly it appears the truth is more mundane.
Yes.

President lost.
President threw a hissy fit.
President did a fair number of very questionable things.
President's supporters (lunatic fringe division) had a riot.
President's hope of overturning election were dashed.
President's impeachment trial failed.

I think that is a fair summary
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
demographic

Post by demographic »

Horse wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:25 pm Was it true that one guy's heart attack was triggered by self-inflicted tazer to the testicles?
Just checked Snopes and it sez No.
Horse

Post by Horse »

demographic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:51 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:25 pm Was it true that one guy's heart attack was triggered by self-inflicted tazer to the testicles?
Just checked Snopes and it sez No.
Amazing. The facts are hidden and the web sites with the truth are taken offline, again.

Oh, hang on, did you say 'no'? ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic

Post by demographic »

Its a conspiracy I tell yeh!